Hop To
#16957647 02/13/22
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
know a guy wanting to sell. What do they go for with a Weaver 330? Looks right to me

GB1

R
R
I know people don’t like hearing this but that is a very tough question to answer without seeing the rifle, correct parts, correct finishes, date matching etc? With the A4s small details make a big difference in value.

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Randy_A
I know people don’t like hearing this but that is a very tough question to answer without seeing the rifle, correct parts, correct finishes, date matching etc? With the A4s small details make a big difference in value.

I know. The rifle looks right. Has the name and serial rolled over so can still see it with Redfield mount on. serial matches up with a known block of serials. Only thing is how can you tell if the scope is original. Weren't a lot of them just commercial scopes pressed in to Military service?

R
R
It’s a lot more complex if you want anywhere near an accurate estimate. I’ve lost count of how many people bought these rifles only to find out a number of items were not at all correct. It is impossible to place a value on one without seeing detailed photos of a lot of very specific parts.

If it is a Weaver 330C it of course should have finger knobs and electro pencil’d on the right side should be “Telescope M73B1” and a serial number below that. That was the early style then the model came roll stamped on the plate followed by the later style knobs etc. If it is just a 330C (with knobs) but there is no serial number then it is simply a commercial non military scope. As far as which of the 4 military variations of that scope, that is irrelevant, they were swapped out for repairs all the time.

What’s the serial number of the action, what is the date of the barrel, is there a punch mark on the under side of the barrel, is it parkerized where the front sight would have been? What type of finish in on the barrel, action, bolt, all stock hardware, and is the bolt handle the correct one? What style stock, what marking on the stock, is the bolt relief cut the correct one? Are all the parts correct (and Remington) like trigger guard, should be stamped steel is it Remington or Smith Corona, large bow, small bow, with or without reinforcement pad and on and on.

I’m sure I’ve skipped a couple dozen other things to look at but bottom line is this. 1993A4s have been one of the most sought after rifles for some time now. They are also hands down the most faked/ forged rifles on the market. Correct parts are very hard to find and very expensive, so anyone in the market for one, needs to do some serious homework before they buy because it’s easy to get taken to the cleaners. The scope is only one piece of the big picture.

Last edited by Randy_A; 02/14/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well stated.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by blairvt
know a guy wanting to sell. What do they go for with a Weaver 330? Looks right to me

Read below - the serial number and barrel date code are the easiest starting points - both are well documented numbered ranges.

Originally Posted by Randy_A
It’s a lot more complex if you want anywhere near an accurate estimate. I’ve lost count of how many people bought these rifles only to find out a number of items were not at all correct. It is impossible to place a value on one without seeing detailed photos of a lot of very specific parts.

If it is a Weaver 330C it of course should have finger knobs and electro pencil’d on the right side should be “Telescope M73B1” and a serial number below that. That was the early style then the model came roll stamped on the plate followed by the later style knobs etc. If it is just a 330C (with knobs) but there is no serial number then it is simply a commercial non military scope. As far as which of the 4 military variations of that scope, that is irrelevant, they were swapped out for repairs all the time.

What’s the serial number of the action, what is the date of the barrel, is there a punch mark on the under side of the barrel, is it parkerized where the front sight would have been? What type of finish in on the barrel, action, bolt, all stock hardware, and is the bolt handle the correct one? What style stock, what marking on the stock, is the bolt relief cut the correct one? Are all the parts correct (and Remington) like trigger guard, should be stamped steel is it Remington or Smith Corona, large bow, small bow, with or without reinforcement pad and on and on.

I’m sure I’ve skipped a couple dozen other things to look at but bottom line is this. 1993A4s have been one of the most sought after rifles for some time now. They are also hands down the most faked/ forged rifles on the market. Correct parts are very hard to find and very expensive, so anyone in the market for one, needs to do some serious homework before they buy because it’s easy to get taken to the cleaners. The scope is only one piece of the big picture.

Form what I have seen over the past ten or so years of watching locally - YMMV in your area:

For a clone:

Weaver 330 scope commercial scope is: $300-450 depending on condition.

Weaver 330 scope correctly marked is: $750 and up

Redfield bases $100-200 a set, less if you go modern repro.

Base Remington 03-A3 is $900-$1000 - if matching R parts, or majority so.

03A4 drill rifle reclaim - around $1500 for the receiver - these are out there, and can be well faked if the seller knows what they are doing.

03A4 rifle - non/import, correct barrel, mostly R parts - $3000 up.

03A4 rifle - non/import, correct barrel, mostly R parts, and period correct scope (non-mil issued) - $3500 up.

03A4 rifle with correct scope - if you have to ask, you can't afford it...

R
R
I watched a set of original US made Redfield 3/4 top split rings that were blued (not GI) bid up and sell on eBay for $521.00 (Jan 5th). That’s just a set of commercial rings that they’re probably sending off to get parkerized. They were “not” advertised as A4 sniper rings, so that just shows how crazy the prices have got. The correct early Redfield (name on right rear only) bases are constantly pushing the $600 mark and a complete bolt has been selling for an easy $800 for years (I watched a fake one sell for $785.00). Scopes, those are around $1000-$1200. So you can see how important every single item, even the (correct) color case hardened screws in the rings and windage mount are.

I’ll tell you from experience, if you pay the going rate for what it is and have to chase a “couple” parts to correct it, your going to have more into it than it’s worth. That’s why is so important to have a full assessment before you hand the cash over on these. Worse yet in the Marine 1903A1 Sniper, those are fetching $50,000 and easier to fake than an A4…. to the untrained eye!

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
well, I bought it. What did I buy? What else would I need a picture of? Where is the punch mark on the barrel I read about?
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I am not an expert but if all parts that we do not see are matching several thousand dollars.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Congrats on your find! I don't pretend to be an expert on these, but it does "look right". Whatever it is, 100% as issued or not, it's ultra cool! At one time I had thoughts of turning my Remington 1903 into a faux Marine sniper but couldn't bring myself to alter whatever originality it has left

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Glad I found this.
A fellow I know in town has an "old" rifle, that he brought to me, which turned out to be a 1903 Springfield, SN 73197. What I find is it was manufactured in 1905. Someone did some "work: on it long ago,,stock is crap, barrel cut to 20 inches, and is toast IMO, over all in not to good shape. He was told it is worthless. But the action looks to be in good working order, locks up tight etc. I can`t check head space, but he has fired it this past month with no issues.
At least nothing let go..

Any idea what the action would be worth?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Serial Number and Barrel date would match those of the last block of a4's produced, scope looks correct as does everything else. Doesn't look as if it was ever issued. Were mine I'd have it professionally appraised, and/or send some photo's to the CMP and ask what they think... Definitely a keeper!

Phil

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Serial Number and Barrel date would match those of the last block of a4's produced, scope looks correct as does everything else. Doesn't look as if it was ever issued. Were mine I'd have it professionally appraised, and/or send some photo's to the CMP and ask what they think... Definitely a keeper!

Phil

it even looked unfired (bolt face). Been shot now though

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Re the Low Number Springfield intruder with question of "worth"... Probably not "worth mentioning" here! smile
Suggest posting elsewhere!
Best!
John

Last edited by iskra; 03/06/22.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,399
Posts18,470,113
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.