Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I swear I need to clean up and organize my bench, but I never do. I’ve had to buy all sorts of springs, detents, and other random screws and small parts because I drop them and lose them.

Today, I was putting a scope back on a rifle with Warne Maxima scope rings. I put one ring on the scope and get the screws started. Just as I start the other ring, I hear something land somewhere and I just knee it was that cross slot lug. I proceed to tear apart my bench looking for this thing. I get so irritated with myself and the situation that I have to walk outside.

I stand there and the fresh air does nothing to calm me down. So, I do what any reasonable man would do. I throw a mini cussing tantrum and kick some imaginary version of my own ass. That’s when I saw something small and silver fly off my foot and into the blackberry bushes.

I think that lug was riding on top of my shoe this whole time. Looks like I’m off to buy a new set of rings.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would like to have the gas to Lowes for #6 or #8 screws and such, only to find the last 10 bags I bought looking for a file next week....

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Every time I go to the auto parts store, I buy a pair of Mechanix gloves because I wear them at work. Problem is, I don’t go through them at the rate that I buy them. So I probably 6 or 7 extra pairs.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have at least two of everything because when I can’t find one I have to buy another. Last big ($100) lost” item was a Fluke volt/amp meter. Stumbled across the lost one a week or two later rolled up in a plastic grocery bag underneath other stuff. WTH was it doing there?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My workbench isn’t too bad, but my shop floor eats screws. You drop any kind of scope ring or base screw and it is gone, never to be seen again.

IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Houser52
I have at least two of everything because when I can’t find one I have to buy another. Last big ($100) lost” item was a Fluke volt/amp meter. Stumbled across the lost one a week or two later rolled up in a plastic grocery bag underneath other stuff. WTH was it doing there?

Same thing my rosin for the barrel bushings were doing in the garage medicine cabinet........hiding. Yep , found it with more on the way.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a lot of duplicate stuff,
it's easier to just buy new than look.
And possibly, after I look around and get so mad I have a headache
and am sick in the guts, still might not find it.

Buy new, do the job, move on!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You have way too many little bitty parts off the cloth. Suddenly comes the “tink” of a small object hitting the floor. Never mind you’ve been trying for hours to fix something that has a reverse thread screw you weren’t aware of. Never mind you’ve had to stop 3 times to help your wife find something right now. Never mind you never really liked or needed this dang thing anyway and already put in the garbage twice. All that matters is that you beat the devil at his own game. So there you are with your cheek as close to level with the floor as it can be, searching diligently along the beam of a flashlight at midnight hoping against hope the next micro bump that casts a shadow will be the unknown part you seek.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
for the first time in my life i have a shop that i can both have all my schit in one place, and find it. never been so organized. its great. i also have 4 work benches and a big layout table so that when one bench gets trashed i just move onto the next.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimdgc
My workbench isn’t too bad, but my shop floor eats screws. You drop any kind of scope ring or base screw and it is gone, never to be seen again.

That's because they elope to Australia with the socks that get lost in the wash and live happily ever after....

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Took years, but I am organized, bins on the wall for spare parts

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a little magnet on an extendable shaft/handle that is pretty good at locating tiny lost screws and springs. Dropping a nut or screw under a car hood results in a 0.0000001% chance of it hitting the ground. A spring that launches it’s self from the workbench has about the same probability of landing in the open floor.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I need to clean my shop out bad, freaking mess in there!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Which is why it's a good deal when doing close work to have a baking pan under your crp, sitting on a soft but NOT BOUNCY plain cloth surface. Preferably with some of those Harber Frate magnets on each corner. Saves lots of screaming and yelling, trust me.

When I worked on a corporate history of Columbia Helicopters, I interviewed a guy who had been doing fuel system overhauls on their turbines for years. He was on his last one. But man, talk about meticulous, organized and "lose proof."

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Every time I go to the auto parts store, I buy a pair of Mechanix gloves because I wear them at work. Problem is, I don’t go through them at the rate that I buy them. So I probably 6 or 7 extra pairs.

One of my pet peeves was people who who wear mechanics gloves, what a bunch of pussies

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by blanket
One of my pet peeves was people who who wear mechanics gloves, what a bunch of pussies

You're a peach.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After I turn the lights on and the radio on,I vacuum the shop and before I close up I vacuum again and I still launch springs into the next universe never to be seen again.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

They’re great for LE work. Not so thick that you cant do pat searches, apply cuffs, or shoot. They’re not so thin that you can’t knock on a bunch of doors or hit someone without banging your hand up. They’re also great on the range when shooting ARs or shotguns. Keeps you from burning your hands after several hundred rounds.

G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
After I turn the lights on and the radio on,I vacuum the shop and before I close up I vacuum again and I still launch springs into the next universe never to be seen again.

The safety/slide stop detents and spring on a 1911 are under a lot more pressure than I ever thought. Glad my gunsmith has a sense of humor and lots of extra parts.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I’ve said it a hundred times, “if you can’t find it quickly, you don’t own it!”

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,530 guests, and 918 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.