OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks for posting. I am the butt, however who always has a "but'. The 6.5 x 55 was a joint development of Sweden and (gasp) Norway. If some sources are to be believed, Norway had (the 6.5 Krag) some 250,000 rifles in the hands of it's soldiers before the Swedes even got started in production with the Mauser clone. A tiny insignificant point...but this is how history gets twisted, by repeating little errors To even call it the Swede is unfair, especially considering, at least the Norwegians tried to resist the Nazi's...while Sweden sat on it's collective asses while the world went to war against the monster. Before that the 6.5 Krag caused the Brits some headaches in the Boer War. Perhaps we can compromise and officially name it the 6.5 x 55 Neutrality, If you don't like Norwegians (I see on the 'fire, Norwegians taking a lot of heat for misbehaving at WalMart, Golden Corral and robbing liquor stores)

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the new video!
It reminded me of all the model 96 and 38 rifles I enjoyed and let get away. Buy one sell to a buddy a year later and repeat...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Flintlocke
Your post reminds me of a tourist who is visiting Norway. The tourist meets Ole Olson and asks him, “Say you look like a Swede.” Ole rigorously denies it. The tourist however is convinced that Ole looks like a Swede and demands to know why he looks like a Swede. Ole replies, “Vel, I’ve been pretty sick lately!”

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
In one of the worst aviation disasters in Minnesota history, a Cessna 152 crashed in a cemetery near Duluth, Olaf and Sven were tasked with recovering the bodies of the passengers. As of last week they are up to 836 and counting.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
A Krag in 6.5x55 would be nice.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
They are a tad bit nicer than the Springfields...fit and finish-wise. Either is a prize. The Buffington sight, IMO is the best military sight of the era. I sure don't know how the gun experts/writers get off saying the Krags have one lug...I have owned several Krags, Springfield '96, 98, Norwegian and Danish...I have yet to see one that didn't have a front and rear lug bearing when in battery.

V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Flint, that’s good to know. I don’t recall handling a Krag

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for posting.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by flintlocke
In one of the worst aviation disasters in Minnesota history, a Cessna 152 crashed in a cemetery near Duluth, Olaf and Sven were tasked with recovering the bodies of the passengers. As of last week they are up to 836 and counting.

Took a quick read + a 'moment' conjring context! Some minutes added & still chuckling.
Thanks & Best! From my now ancient teens... The gal that backed into an aircraft prop. Reportedly... "Disaster!" smile
JBest!'
John

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for posting this video. I saw it in my list yesterday, but did not watch it until now. Makes me want to go out and shoot mine now...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
They are a tad bit nicer than the Springfields...fit and finish-wise. Either is a prize. The Buffington sight, IMO is the best military sight of the era. I sure don't know how the gun experts/writers get off saying the Krags have one lug...I have owned several Krags, Springfield '96, 98, Norwegian and Danish...I have yet to see one that didn't have a front and rear lug bearing when in battery.

Usually, its stated that Krags have only one "front lug" as opposed to twins up front. When talking of strength of action, should there be a fracture of that front lug, it will cause more danger under pressure than a 2 lug design, plus a bolt handle of other designs. That being said, I love the Krag, having a carbine, a rifle and 3 sporterized rifles.

My first swede 96 I picked up for $150 all matching numbers and already cleaned up nice by the previous owner. I was 16 years old and really only wanted to spend $100 on one, but forked over the cash. Fast forward 25 years and picked up a 2nd one and was happy to pay $450 for it under current prices from a buddy.

V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
What’s amazing is he took a hundred year old rifle and made hits out at 1000 yards. He walked through that course rather quickly. I have watched a few of videos and he struggles with a lot of rifles and cartridges past 300 yards.

Yeah, take the time and watch some of his other reviews, I enjoy them.

I don’t believe the ammunition he used was what the sighs were calibrated for.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by viking
What’s amazing is he took a hundred year old rifle and made hits out at 1000 yards. He walked through that course rather quickly. I have watched a few of videos and he struggles with a lot of rifles and cartridges past 300 yards.

Yeah, take the time and watch some of his other reviews, I enjoy them.

I don’t believe the ammunition he used was what the sighs were calibrated for.

He said the ammo was newer and the sights were not calibrated for it. He's a good shooter. I like how quick he takes the shots.... He's great at explaining things and easy to listen to. Great video. Now I'm going to go shoot mine...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
BSA,

I really like that rifle. My one and only is a custom 7x57 Jim Wisner built many years ago. A mint original is really appreciated.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
BSA,

I really like that rifle. My one and only is a custom 7x57 Jim Wisner built many years ago. A mint original is really appreciated.

Thanks Ed. I love it. I got lucky buddy. Bought it for some military rifle shoots in my area and it really does well. It's not finicky about what I feed it. I really need to work with it a little more. The last time I shot it, it did well at the matches. Had 2 master class shooters behind me watching through their spotters. After the shoot, they were both offering me money. I told them it was not for sale. That day I shot 4 matches back to back. It was fun. Somehow I managed to keep most of them in the 10 ring.. To say I love the rifle is probably an understatement. I'm just lucky my LGS hung on to it for me as long as they did. They put my name on it and a year later I bought it!!! Good guys they are.. I wish I would have gotten some pics of how the rifle shoots in that match, but this is how it did for preliminary group testing:

I'll start working with it more, now that I have a little more time on my hands. The M96 is a phenomenal rifle, from what I've experienced.. Like I said earlier. Great video. That guy is a shooter and easy to listen to. A good video for sure..

BSA MAGA
V
viking Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Back in my misguided youth, I had an FFL for a brief time. It was about 93 or 94…. I moved and turned in the license…

Anyway I ordered 2 Swedes in, one like the example in the video and the other was a shorter version, perhaps a 24 inch barrel. That one has a straight bolt handle. If I recall they were around $80 dealer cost.

The Swedes, I believe also had cavalry model also. To have all 3 barrel length ma would be a nice collection.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

96 Carl Gustafs Stads 6.5x55mm $100 1/1/2002 I bent the bolt, drilled and tapped, and hunted with this one.
Husqvarna M/1907 380 $123 1/1/2003
Husqvarna 38 Swedish 6.5x55mm $135 1/1/2004 1942
94 Carl Gustafs Stads 6.5x55mm $80 1/1/2008 1903
Husqvarna Sakrat 22LR $75 1/29/2005
Husqvarna 22LR $85 1/29/2005
96 Carl Gustafs Stads 6.5x55mm $150 11/2/2013 1912

My grandparents immigrated from Sweden 1909.
My second cousin immigrated from Sweden 1985. He worked for Norma and can calculate internal ballistics, but is now getting patents in metrology. Other engineers that know us can't believe we are related because he is so smart, and I am just some jerk. Now he has the green card -> citizenship and buys guns. My Swedish Mausers are just as good as his.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Beautiful collection Clark, my one great regret is not being able to purchase a CG63 target rifle back in the day...ugly yes, but after having my ass handed to me in NRA Highpower by a guy shooting one, I am a believer.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very cool collection. I also agree with flintlocke, that a CG63 would be bad azzed. I would love to have one myself. However, wouldn't expect it to shoot much better than my Carl Gustaff m96.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,391 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,540
Posts18,472,850
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.