-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Had this on order for months, finally came in. Pretty decent wood, better than most Rugers lately. I had a NIB Weaver Nitrex 1.5-5x that I bought when Natchez closed them out years ago that finally found a home in Talley mounts.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a beauty!

How does it shoot?

Extraction work reliably with the small rim?

God Bless America
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Don't know yet, no ammo in town. Gonna have to order some. Will post once I shoot it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
well it certainly is a nice looking firearm....hope the accuracy will match the beauty of it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Very nice! I've been thinking about one of those in .450 BM. LGS has plenty of Starline brass and Hornady bullets.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The woods Gods have blessed you. Please provide a range repot when you find some ammo.

Last edited by doctor_Encore; 02/05/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In years to come, when these may have vanished from the market, I’ll bet they will be highly sought after. They really are a bargain. I say that as one that is largely left cold by the other Henry offerings. If they had interchangeable barrels, they’d be even better.

That’s not to say they’re perfect. A bit of refining as to the shape of the receiver wouldn’t be amiss, along with possibly a higher stock comb on the rifle models. Still, all in all, they’re pretty dang nice.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Very nice! I've been thinking about one of those in .450 BM. LGS has plenty of Starline brass and Hornady bullets.

What’s the price on the 450bm brass? Last time I found it (not an LGS) it was Hornady and a buck per case.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Don't know yet, no ammo in town. Gonna have to order some. Will post once I shoot it.

350 Legend is a perfect cast bullet cartridge. That’s all I’ve been shooting in mine.

And that’s a pretty rifle too! Henry is a class act to deal with. Years ago I wanted a blemished stock for a Henry lever action 22rf I bought for my son. I was going to cut an inch off so it would fit him, he was six years old at the time. Called Henry and was telling the gentleman what I needed and they had some. I gave him all my information, credit card number and such and as we were chatting he told me who he was, the president of Henry. Pretty cool I thought!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have one of those in 30-30 and it shoots very well. I have a 6x SWFA scope on it and have killed probably a half dozen deer with it out to 168 yards. Triggers suck, but are usable.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 450BM

350 Legend is a perfect cast bullet cartridge. That’s all I’ve been shooting in mine.

And that’s a pretty rifle too! Henry is a class act to deal with. Years ago I wanted a blemished stock for a Henry lever action 22rf I bought for my son. I was going to cut an inch off so it would fit him, he was six years old at the time. Called Henry and was telling the gentleman what I needed and they had some. I gave him all my information, credit card number and such and as we were chatting he told me who he was, the president of Henry. Pretty cool I thought!

Are you buying these cast bullets or casting your own?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by 450BM

Are you buying these cast bullets or casting your own?

I cast my own. It’s a 9mm 127gr truncated cone mold. I powder coat them and size to .358. Still trying to find the best powder.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I know little to nothing about casting or shooting cast bullets, other than some revolver ammo has cast bullets. How do you size a .355 bullet up to .358?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I powder coat them twice. I’m not sure what they are dropping out of the mold at, I’ll have to measure some next time I cast. The double coat gives me a pretty consistent resistance when sizing them.

Best part is the cost. 5 cents for the powder, 3 cents for the primer, bullets are from free lead but let’s say they cost 5 cents each so 13 cents a round. I do a lot of cheap shooting!

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have the Lee 200 gr mold. I powder coat and then install gas check and run thru a Lee .356 push thru sizer.

I load on a 550 dillon..Have not cronographed any loads but expect to see 1900 to 2000fps. Will have to get that done and report.

On deer in 2020 killed a large buck at 200 steps. Hi shoulder shot, took him off his feet. I was impressed. Fun cartridge in an ar-15.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What is the purpose of powder coating? Is it to decrease leading of the barrel?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mulespurs
I have the Lee 200 gr mold. I powder coat and then install gas check and run thru a Lee .356 push thru sizer.

I load on a 550 dillon..Have not cronographed any loads but expect to see 1900 to 2000fps. Will have to get that done and report.

On deer in 2020 killed a large buck at 200 steps. Hi shoulder shot, took him off his feet. I was impressed. Fun cartridge in an ar-15.

I just ordered one of these molds (6 cavity) along with gas checks and a Lee fcd for the 350. Everything should be here tomorrow.

Are you casting them hard or soft and what powder are you using? Powder coating them by chance?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

196 members (35WhelenNut, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 2ndwind, 4214chip, 29 invisible), 2,945 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,642
Posts18,533,628
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.