Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So, I have the bug for a Hawkeye Hunter pretty bad.

Anyone here have one already? Curious to hear your take on it if so, especially compared to just waiting for a used regular sporter Hawkeye to come up.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a Ruger Model 77 Hawkeye in .300 Win Mag. (made in 2007) Stainless barrel and a composition stock. This is a great gun, I have shot deer, elk and pigs using a 165 BarnesTSX with RL22. 1" groups at 100 yards. This is my go to gun.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Igloo,
I can only speak to the hawkeye hunter stock as i picked up one for $247 direct from Ruger:

The stock replaced a synthetic RCM stock. It immediatelly shaved 4 oz. off the rifle. The walnut density in these stocks are very light.

The stock is generously free floated, from the factory.

The hawkeye hunter stocks come with one crossbolt. It has handled over 30 rounds of 275 grain swift a-frame and 200 rounds of 225 grain SST factory 338 rcm rounds.

I did cut off some off the forend and havent rounded it. It was too long.

The stock comb was a smidgen high, so installed a taller necg front sight bead and raised the rear sight up as well.

The 275 grainer grizzly protection rounds in a 6.5 lb rifle, kicked the fkn snot out of me. The stock is no worse for wear.......
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That is a really cool looking rifle! Although I am sore just reading the stats hahaha. Seriously though, very nice! And I appreciate your take on the stock. Thank you.

I'm really having a hard time deciding between one of those, because I like the Ruger action and love the look...or saving about $600 and just buying a Tikka haha

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No. But I want one

IC B2

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You and me both moosemike

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
That's a great rifle photo!

Jack
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I only have 2, right now. The first is an early version 9.3x62 African. It has the circassian stock and deep, but satin blued metal. It is the most accurate out of the box rifle I've had the pleasure to own. I have several loads that consistently punch a single hole with five shots at 100 yards. The other is a 308 with a 20 inch barrel and sights with the compact magnum walnut stock. I've only tried a couple powders so far and only 150 grain bullets, but so far, when shooting up through the low to max charges, nothing was over 1 1/4 inches for 5 shots, with some pretty amazing groups. But I've only shot about a hundred rounds, and not enough groups on different days and different weather to be able to determine how good it really shoots.

I like wood stocks, sights and classic lines. The Hawkeye's have that in some models. I really like the feel of the stock. Trigger pulls have been fine for me, crisp, but not too heavy. Some folks might want them lighter for target or Varmint work. My only complaint on my current ones and the couple others that have come and gone is that the bolt is not as slick as I like, but that will smooth up with use.
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Blackfly1,

Cool! Both of those sound very nice. I've been a fan of the LC6 trigger too.

This is the model I have it bad for right now haha. Would ditch the rail and go with regular Ruger rings, but...again, spending quite a bit.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I came across this Hawkeye ultralight stainless 7mm-08 NIB on GB. I hit the "Buy Now" and never looked back. I got the VX-3 2.5x8 with the post & duplex reticle in the campfire classifieds. I installed a Timney trigger.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Who wouldn’t want one of these rifles???!!! I’ve got three Rutgers, 2 M77s and one Hawkeye. All three are great hunting rifles. I’d love to have one of these Hawkeye Hunters.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Igloo
Blackfly1,

Cool! Both of those sound very nice. I've been a fan of the LC6 trigger too.

This is the model I have it bad for right now haha. Would ditch the rail and go with regular Ruger rings, but...again, spending quite a bit.

That thread protector and flared bulge on the end of the barrel is uglier than a hat full off azz holes.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Do these come skim bedded? I saw they were floated... but wondering if supported by epoxy or just pillared?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have owned a bunch of them and still own a walnut/blued 7mm-08 made in 2007. The stock fits me perfectly and it shoots 1" groups with factory ammo. It is one of my favorite rifles.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
I have owned a bunch of them and still own a walnut/blued 7mm-08 made in 2007. The stock fits me perfectly and it shoots 1" groups with factory ammo. It is one of my favorite rifles.

I thought these Hunter models with the threaded muzzle and 20moa rail were much more recent releases than 2007?

Igloo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm

I thought these Hunter models with the threaded muzzle and 20moa rail were much more recent releases than 2007?

They are, I think dudes are just talking about Hawkeye rifles in general, which is cool.

Cabelas Canuckistan blew them out a while back, wish I had been in on that. Didn't know they weren't gonna receive more

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

They are, I think dudes are just talking about Hawkeye rifles in general, which is cool.

Cabelas Canuckistan blew them out a while back, wish I had been in on that. Didn't know they weren't gonna receive more

The walnut m77 Hawkeye kind of disappeared overnight. Right before COVID they were all over the place. Not anymore.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The walnut m77 Hawkeye kind of disappeared overnight. Right before COVID they were all over the place. Not anymore.

You're right about that

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
I only have 2, right now. The first is an early version 9.3x62 African. It has the circassian stock and deep, but satin blued metal. It is the most accurate out of the box rifle I've had the pleasure to own. I have several loads that consistently punch a single hole with five shots at 100 yards.

I have the Lipsey's version of that 9.3x62 African. It is indeed accurate, a hallmark of most rifles chambered in that cartridge. Mine heads to Africa next season for Cape Buff.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Puddle
Originally Posted by Blackfly1
I only have 2, right now. The first is an early version 9.3x62 African. It has the circassian stock and deep, but satin blued metal. It is the most accurate out of the box rifle I've had the pleasure to own. I have several loads that consistently punch a single hole with five shots at 100 yards.

I have the Lipsey's version of that 9.3x62 African. It is indeed accurate, a hallmark of most rifles chambered in that cartridge. Mine heads to Africa next season for Cape Buff.

Is that allowed for Dangerous Game?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 46 invisible), 3,426 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,552
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.