Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm selling most of my handguns. I took a handgun to UPS Regional center today. It was a little SW Bodyguard in a lttle box, probably only a pound maybe two. I was told all handguns needed to go next day air. It was to go cross country, so I figured $30. The price was $110 plus change. I contacted buyer, he declined and I don't blame him. My FFL charged me $40 or $45 for shipping my last one I sold.
I see lots of ads with $25 shipping. How does one ship that cheap.
Thanks
Bfly

Be nice and work hard, you never have enough time or friends.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I haven't tried it yet, but this seems to be a popular option for handguns: https://www.shipmygun.com/go/index.php

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Many FFLs charge actual shipping plus and handling fee for themselves that often equates to ~$50. Many FFLs only charge actual shipping and that will often cost only ~$25 because an FFL can ship a handgun thru the post office and you cannot.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great a UPS account and you’ll save 50% or more compared to the stores.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Generally it is because FFL's get volume discounts with UPS. Many have negotiated contracts where they don't have to ship them next day air as well. They can also ship them via USPS, where as a non FFL cannot.

Last edited by slowr1der; 02/15/22.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Try USPS 2nd day air with adult signature. That's how I receive them, but I'm a FFL, that that might be why. Since you're selling quite a few, maybe you could work something out with your FFL.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled guns yearning to shoot free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming safes and gun racks.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door of my workbench.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
So, where is your list?? I don't see them in the classifieds.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't think it's so much an FFL thing as much as it is having a business account set up with UPS or FedEx. I have an account with UPS, FedEx and USPS and its cheaper to ship UPS and FedEx when I use those accounts. Not USPS.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."
Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dealers can ship via USPS Priority Mail.

Fedex and UPS require handguns to go overnight/next day, so are more expensive.

UPS has had a problem with handguns being "lost" during shipping. S&W was returning a handgun that I had sent to be engraved via UPS and it was stolen. At that time S&W didn't insure guns that they were returning, but would replace them with a comparable handgun out of current production. That is how I became the owner of a 5" 629 Classic, sent to replace the custom 624 that I'd sent to S&W. I had to fight them to engrave the 629 with the same lines that I had paid them to do on the 624.

I charge the actual shipping fee and refund any portion that is leftover or cover any portion that is in excess of the amount that the buyer sent. I have an FFL, so I ship most handguns via USPS, but have sent them via Fedex if the buyer insists and is willing to pay the difference.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
FFLs can ship a handgun FDX 2 day air so much cheaper than next day. I don't even mess with shipping handguns... just take it to my FFL and have him do it. Usually it's $40-50 plus insurance.

Last edited by Jpterry; 02/15/22.
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The USPS website clearly states in bold type that they require you to ship handguns by a different carrier. They do NOT want shipments of handguns, against their policy.

Last edited by Redbone311; 02/15/22.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Maxwell
I haven't tried it yet, but this seems to be a popular option for handguns: https://www.shipmygun.com/go/index.php

That's the way to go as long as there's an in network dealer close by. If not, it's not even worth the bother selling and shipping a handgun.

I read somewhere recently that Fed Ex will no longer ship any guns unless you're an FFL

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Redbone311
The USPS website clearly states in bold type that they require you to ship handguns by a different carrier. They do NOT want shipments of handguns, against their policy.

Not for FFLs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
Many FFLs charge actual shipping plus and handling fee for themselves that often equates to ~$50. Many FFLs only charge actual shipping and that will often cost only ~$25 because an FFL can ship a handgun thru the post office and you cannot.

I've only shipped 1 and this was the route I used, ffl shipped it flat rate.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
FedEx isn’t accepting handgun shipments from non-FFL holders anymore. Looks like UPS is the only game in town now.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ship My Gun is definitely the way to go for a non FFL to ship handguns or even long guns for that matter. I’ve used them several times without a hitch. If the ship to dealer is not on their approval list it’s just a matter of having them call and send their FFL to the Ship My Gun folks and you’re good to go. Only hitch is they won’t ship to Ak.

Good judgment comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement! 🥴
B
BKS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Originally Posted by Redbone311

Not for FFLs.

As HORRIBLE as usps service is, I don’t know why anyone gives them any business.

Back on topic, I usually pay a local dealer to ship anything.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
On a side note.. there are few here that might like to buy some handguns.. smile

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've shipped directly with FedEx, but they require it to go overnight. If I recall, it was $130ish to send it from VA to TX.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The most efficient way for me to ship a handgun
is I ship through my FFL (he is very reasonable)

and we ship with a USPS flat rate box plus insurance

So Toms fee
Plus Flat rate
Plus ins

This usually works pretty good
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,649
Posts18,493,379
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.