-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've always enjoyed reading P.J.'s writings. From his beginnings at National Lampoon to The Atlantic Monthly and so many of his books.

A few of his best quotes,

"There is only one basic human right: the right to do as you please, without causing others harm. With it comes our only basic human duty: the duty to accept the consequences of our actions."

"Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it."

"The Three Branches of Government: Money, Television, and Bullshit"

"It remains to be seen which program will cause greater societal damage: China's one-child policy or America's one-parent policy."

"Politicians are always interested in people. Not that this is always a virtue. Fleas are interested in dogs."

"One of the annoying things about believing in free will and individual responsibility is the difficulty of finding somebody to blame your problems on. And when you do find somebody, it's remarkable how often his picture turns up on your driver's license."

"The second item in the liberal creed, after self-righteousness, is unaccountability. Liberals have invented whole college majors--psychology, sociology, women's studies--to prove that nothing is anybody's fault. No one is fond of taking responsibility for his actions, but consider how much you'd have to hate free will to come up with a political platform that advocates killing unborn babies but not convicted murderers. A callous pragmatist might favor abortion and capital punishment. A devout Christian would sanction neither. But it takes years of therapy to arrive at the liberal view."

"Not being a liberal, I have very little grasp of things that I know nothing about."

"Authority has always attracted the lowest elements in the human race. All through history, mankind has been bullied by scum. Those who lord it over their fellows and toss commands in every direction and would boss the grass in the meadow about which way to bend in the wind are the most depraved kind of prostitutes. They will submit to any indignity, perform any vile act, do anything to achieve power. The worst off-sloughings of the planet are the ingredients of sovereignty. Every government is a parliament of whores. The trouble is, in a democracy the whores are us."

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R.I.P. P.J.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
A conservative warrior...RIP.
"You think healthcare is expensive now? Wait 'til it's free".
"You can't solve poverty by giving people money".
"Giving the govt money is like giving a teen a bottle of whiskey and the car keys".

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Sad to hear he's gone. I still use his housekeeping tips from A Bachelors Home Companion.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
He was very good. RIP, PJ O'Rourke.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i liked his stuff in NL. some of it was laugh-out-loud funny

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sad news.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Another one of my heroes gone. A brilliant satirist. He was aware enough to realize what a fool he was when he was young and spent the rest of his life making up for it. If you don't come to that realization at some point, you're probably still a fool. Or a liberal, but I repeat myself.

RIP, P.J. and thanks for all the wisdom.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The name is familiar, but I guess I wasn't a follower of his work. That said, he was apparently a libertarian, so he must have been a critic of most of the stuff that I'm a critic of. RIP.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Thanks for posting that.
Read it when it first came out.

RIP.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Whose idea was it to put every idiot in touch with every other idiot on the planet? It's working!"

P.J. O'Rourke

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 160user, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,644 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,450
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.