Hop To
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by RIO7

Ek, Caught him is a foot hold trap. Rio7

Thank you. I always wonder why coyotes and other predators do exactly step into the trap although Texas is such a big and vast country. Did you bait him?

Elmer Keith
GB1

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
EK,

I have been hanging snares, where Coyotes are crossing fence lines threw holes they and pigs have dug under the fence, this Coyote would walk up to a hole with a snare look close and leave and go to the next hole and walk up and look to see if there was a snare, no snare he would cross under the fence, he would keep checking holes till he found a open hole, Smart old S.O.B. so i set 3 blind foot hold traps on both side of the fence at two open holes, Got Him !! Rio7

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
GREAT! Thanky you for your explanations.

Elmer Keith
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Some day's are better than others. Rio7

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
WOW! How many of them to you shoot each year in average?

Elmer Keith
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My son put the carcass of a road kill on his buddy’s property, staked it into the ground with a rope around the carcass. We have hundreds of pictures of the coyotes walking around. Two bobcats jumped on the. Opportunity and chowed on the carcass until yotes showed up and they would leave, come back and eat more. The coyotes took a month before they started eating. We surmise they didn’t like the rope around the carcass. One night picture shows a possum on the carcass and the bobcat sitting at the ass end waiting for it to finish.
Even had a bald eagle fly in for a meal.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

If a feather fell from the sky
a Eagle would see it
a Bear would smell it
a Deer would hear it
a Coyote would do all three.
Rio7

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
RIO7, ok. Now you may share you secret. There are just five or six of them you put into a freezer and every day you take them out of it and arrange them in different locations. wink .

To be seriously, on how many acres do you take that number of predators? And did you make any observations if coyotes sometimes tend to hunt in packs?

Elmer Keith
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by abbydog
One night picture shows a possum on the carcass and the bobcat sitting at the ass end waiting for it to finish..

I've had a number of trail cam pics that showed possums with coyotes and foxes, two animals that I thought might eat a possum, but apparently they left the possum alone. I've always heard that the possum had few enemies because of it's teeth. My grandfather, who did a lot of hunting back in his day, told me that if a possum and a coon met on the same trail, that the coon would always get out of the way and leave the possum alone.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

EK, If we won't or can't eat it, it does not go in the freezer.

I normally hunt about 25000 acres, but i can hunt more if i want to. Rio7

IC B3

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

JamesJr, Possums are rare a chicken lips here. Rio7

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Lord, you have nearly as many coyotes around your place as Mackay Sagebrush has jackrabbits.

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
A story my Dad told me growing up during the depression.

When still at home he killed opossum, brought home cleaned it and gave it to his dog. The dog would not eat it. So he got my grandmother to parboil it and gave it to the dog again. The dog still would not eat it. Made a mental note, anything the dog won't eat he was not going to eat it either.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Deans, Try feeding a bear to a dog, nothing i know will eat a bear but chickens -- birds and people. Rio7

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D

Deans, Try feeding a bear to a dog, nothing i know will eat a bear but chickens -- birds and people. Rio7

That is interesting. I'll have to remember that, not that I will ever kill a bear. Not on my bucket list.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

JamesJr, Possums are rare a chicken lips here. Rio7

Possums are extremely plentiful here. Possum on a half shell, the armadillo, is also starting to show up here. I have several on trail cam.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deans
A story my Dad told me growing up during the depression.

When still at home he killed opossum, brought home cleaned it and gave it to his dog. The dog would not eat it. So he got my grandmother to parboil it and gave it to the dog again. The dog still would not eat it. Made a mental note, anything the dog won't eat he was not going to eat it either.

Back when I was growing up in the 1950's and 60's, the local Blacks would take any possum they could get, along with rabbits and squirrels. I know because I supplied many of the.. My grandfather had hounds back in his day, and did a lot of coon and possum hunting. The coons he would sell for the hides, the possums would in a pen, and be fed straight corn for a week or two, then sold to the Blacks. I also knew a few White people who said they loved a baked possum, cooked with sweet potatoes. My daddy said that he'd seen too many possums feeding up in the belly of dead horse or cow for him to ever want to eat one. I agree.

R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

He was in Close cover. Rio7

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
RIO7 I am sure he didn't even hear the bang.

Elmer Keith
R
RIO7 Online Happy OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Called in these two while checking water this morning, young pair. Rio7

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (06hunter59, 160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 55 invisible), 2,101 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,044
Posts18,482,171
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.