Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I posted this on another forum, but figured you guys would appreciate this rifle.

You never know what you will find in a pawn shop, and today was no exception.

Made a few rounds today, and spied this one up on the shelf. Actually, what caught my eye, was the Lyman rear peep. I knew it was a sporterized something, but was really surprised when they told me "Japanese"....I don't think I have ever seen an Arisaka with a rear peep. But when they handed it to me, I completely lost interest in the Lyman once I saw this....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Arisakas in any flavor have gotten fairly uncommon, and finding one with an intact mum is a rare.

Whoever got a hold to this one put in a lot of time and effort, as its one of the better sporterizing jobs I've seen. Here are a few pics:

HR IC

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I haven't had a chance to decipher any of the markings, but it should be an earlier model (still has checkering on the bolt safety). I *believe* it has been reblued, which would make sense given the amount of work someone put into the rifle.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

Oddly enough, I've never had much interest in Arisakas until recently. I picked up a basketcase late war/last ditch gun a few months back (I'll have to find the thread I started on it)...its probably not in shooting condition, but this one looks like it will be a nice shooter. I'm pretty sure this one is a 6.5, so now the hunt begins for brass....and dies....and bullets.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Grateful to have never lost a Bet,that big. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Very cool rifle. Thanks for sharing.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool old rifle, holding an piece of intact history in your hands is an experience to enjoy. Much more enjoyable than wrapping blue tape around your scopes and mashing your keyboard with incoherent insults. But those with intact synapses already knew that.
Congrats on the find.

MM

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 02/16/22.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice old rifle, is it in the original caliber ?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Here's a 7.5x55 bullet in the muzzle...I guess it is a 6.5 bore (I don't have any .264 cal bullets with me to check right now).

[Linked Image from ar15.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PO Ackley couldn't blow one up, so you got that going for you. Which is nice.

LOL
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If 6.5 and sporterized like that would not be surprised if 6.5X257…..have a couple that I use as “beaters/loaner” rifles and are more accurate than you might think.

PennDog

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well done sporter and a piece of history.

Last edited by TNrifleman; 02/17/22.

μολὼν λαβέ
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Cool old gun

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Great source of info on this forum on Gunboards.com -

https://www.gunboards.com/forums/firearms-of-the-rising-sun.52/

My father-in-law had 3 of these in a corner of his basement as well as swords, holsters etc. I was able to figure out what models they were and sold most of it there

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
First step: do a chamber cast so you know exactly what you're dealing with. Guesswork in terms of chamberings of old milsurp conversions is sometimes a Darwinian Mistake. Second step: check headspace. Third step: pursue brass/dies/bullets.

I messed with a few Arisakas back in the 70's and 80's and never got one to shoot with a tinker's dam. The one that came closest to exhibiting any kind of decent accuracy was a mint carbine that looked like it just left the arsenal, intact mum and folding bayonet. Got $650 for it, 35 years ago, and the fella I sold it to sporterized it......

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Very nice conditon.

I've often thought about drilling and tapping my Jap sporter (rebarrled in .308 Win) for a peep. It's very acurate, but my eyes and the sights on it don't get along very well anymore.

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
First step: do a chamber cast so you know exactly what you're dealing with. Guesswork in terms of chamberings of old milsurp conversions is sometimes a Darwinian Mistake. Second step: check headspace. Third step: pursue brass/dies/bullets.

Extremely wise words. I've encountered them rechambered in 6.5-250, 6.5-257, and 260 firsthand, and I'm sure a lot are floating around in assorted other 6.5 cartridges.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sent you a PM

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by zcm82
Very nice conditon.

I've often thought about drilling and tapping my Jap sporter (rebarrled in .308 Win) for a peep. It's very acurate, but my eyes and the sights on it don't get along very well anymore.

Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Extremely wise words. I've encountered them rechambered in 6.5-250, 6.5-257, and 260 firsthand, and I'm sure a lot are floating around in assorted other 6.5 cartridges.

Yep extremely wise and prudent words!!!

PennDog

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
nice gun. somebody put some work into that. i have an original 6.5 that a ww2 vet gave my son. he was on the boat when the bombs went off. he said they had piles and piles of those things laying around and you could just pick any one you wanted and ship it home. i bought a box of ammo and we shot it. it shot very well.

My diploma is a DD214
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I had a Type I (thats "eye", not "one") which is an Italian Carcano, in 6.5 Jap, with a staggered magazine. It was accurate and killed deer just fine, I traded it away fifty years ago. I have an Arisaka which I have yet to shoot. GD

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Ordered Cerrosafe last night...just to be sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

386 members (17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 16gage, 40 invisible), 2,199 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,146
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.