Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch
Welcome to every day of my life....

DO NOT get caught harassing them!
DO NOT pick up a feather they drop

Dogs help. There's a commercial laser system that "shoots" birds with laser light, not sure if USFWS would consider that harassment, and I suppose it's pricey.

We keep the dogs around and as much of a human presence as we can afford, and hope the neighbor starts calving soon. They like afterbirths better than fish.

This guy ^^^^^^

likely knows of what he speaks.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

H
hosfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
These fish have been off commercial pellets for 3 months, the fathead minnows had a nice reproductive year to get them thru the winter as planned, All pond fish come to the surface, between fresh rain water,wind and cool temps Id think it unlikely about low oxygen , although a year old pond it looks very healthy,, instead of a water or fish problem I think Its a case of winged poachers finding a honey hole,, lol

I AM AMERICA!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, you kind of set them up with a nice smorgasbord for their winter vacation.

Maybe plant a few extras this coming season so they leave you enough for your needs.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
rats with feathers

MOLON LABE
H
hosfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Dogs help. There's a commercial laser system that "shoots" birds with laser light, not sure if USFWS would consider that harassment, and I suppose it's pricey.

We keep the dogs around and as much of a human presence as we can afford, and hope the neighbor starts calving soon. They like afterbirths better than fish.

This guy ^^^^^^

I do have dogs dogs running around as well as a horse or three,, Neighbor down the road around 300 momma cows,with that many or more in just a few more miles, not to mention a 1000+ acre watershed lake and river 10 miles away,, why they like this pond is beyond me,, I grew up with a 10ac pond 50 from our house full of all types of big fish and never an eagle pair to baby sit it

I AM AMERICA!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Odds are, when you grew up there weren't any eagle pairs migrating into your area.

Very few raptors in the area where I grew up, we used to watch them migrate through suburbia. Then they learned they could make a living there and some stay year round now.

In it is contentment

H
hosfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Odds are, when you grew up there weren't any eagle pairs migrating into your area.

Very few raptors in the area where I grew up, we used to watch them migrate through suburbia. Then they learned they could make a living there and some stay year round now.
You are correct on guessing Ima geezer,, 58 nxt month, A bald eagle back then would have the town buzzing,, and the ol timers then kept the red tail hawks to a very minimum

I AM AMERICA!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could buy a dissolved oxygen meter just to make sure. You are in MO. I assume and that is probably south enough so that the pond doesn’t freeze over like they do up north. Any vegetarian or organic material that is decomposing over the winter will use up dissolved oxygen. We planted 500 rainbow trout in our little natural lake and we never saw them at the surface. The otters were our problem.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hosfly

This guy ^^^^^^

I do have dogs dogs running around as well as a horse or three,, Neighbor down the road around 300 momma cows,with that many or more in just a few more miles, not to mention a 1000+ acre watershed lake and river 10 miles away,, why they like this pond is beyond me,, I grew up with a 10ac pond 50 from our house full of all types of big fish and never an eagle pair to baby sit it

The dogs need training:

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by boatammo
rats with feathers
Yep, like all raptors too damn many of them and they ought to be controlled. No excuse for complete protection. They sure as hell aren't endangered. Folks had enough sense to keep them killed down in my grandfathers day.

IC B3

H
hosfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by boatammo
rats with feathers
Yep, like all raptors too damn many of them and they ought to be controlled. No excuse for complete protection. They sure as hell aren't endangered. Folks had enough sense to keep them killed down in my grandfathers day.
Agree!! went spotlighting for rabbits a week ago seen 1 in a 30 mile trip, and you wont see one run over on the hiway either,, to many animals like a rabbit dinner,forget finding a covey of quail,,

I AM AMERICA!
H
hosfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H

This guy ^^^^^^

The dogs need training:
Thats cool Dutch,I had a heeler/border collie cross that would do the same thing when you said "Trixie,there a Niqqer in the bushes" she would go crazie on anything that moved LOL

I AM AMERICA!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

This guy ^^^^^^

I'm guessing maybe there are good trees for them to perch on and watch the pond? Up here the DNR has been taking out all the trees in a lot of the WMA's so raptors have no place to sit. The idea is to keep them from taking ducks etc. off their nests.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

H
hosfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Correct, I left a few trees on the west side and the south side of pond to shade it during the hot months, and yes if one falls off the limb they will get wet, Like valsdad said it looks made to order for them,,,

I AM AMERICA!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Correct, I left a few trees on the west side and the south side of pond to shade it during the hot months, and yes if one falls off the limb they will get wet, Like valsdad said it looks made to order for them,,,
Make them a couple perches up there and stick a 1 3/4 coil spring on each one.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Or maybe a series of mirrors set up so that the sunlight will reflect into the trees and blind the crap out of them so they can't see the pond!

lol

(I'm only half joking....)

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Take a 20x20 piece of 3/4 plywood, paint it dark green or blue.
Nail a catfish to it then let it float around in the pond fish side up and see what happens.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (16penny, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,919
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.