Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've used nothing but a hacksaw and file on a rifle barrel for a square, flat crown and it worked out great.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Update: after looking at the brass laps mentioned above (sold by Brownell's)... I found a very similar piece of brass with a rounded end and used that with the valve grinding compound and the power drill. Still need to do some polishing on the beveled edge on the exterior of the muzzle before it gets re-blued, but the top of the muzzle is perfectly flat and mirror smooth, and it's now got a 2-3mm crown that is uniform all the way around and then ends with sharp rifling all the way around.

I still think the SS screw would have worked on softer steel, but appreciate the input (on the compound sticking to brass better) and the nudge to just suck it up and do it from the non-lathe responses.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stainless is a horrible metal to rub on anything. It either hardens or galls.....sometimes both.

Brass is the ticket if you want to lap it.

Personally, I like sharp crowns.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Me too. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
BS2 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
11 degree crowning tool $54
Guide $14

From Brownell's, what more do you need?

Oh, they make different kind of piloted cutters that will square the bore. The more cutting flutes the better.

I also made a 45 degree with a pilots and a stop clamp, works on big bores.

Last edited by BS2; 02/17/22.

Get close and wack em hard!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TELL 'em Tiger. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Most guys have a drill press and a file...If you have something like an RCBS case trimmer, you can make a pilot to fit your bore on a drill press with the file, strip the hand crank off the trimmer, install your well fitting pilot you just made and cut a nice square muzzle face that will look like it was done on a lathe.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Appreciate the advice still coming in, but already made a lap from brass and it's all done/good to go.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Appreciate the advice still coming in, but already made a lap from brass and it's all done/good to go.

Good job then. Allot of things can be done with hand tools. Not always the best or most efficient but it gets the job done. Years ago to be considered for an apprenticeship in the tool and die trade you were given a block of steel, micrometer, square and a file. You were to make a perfectly square 1" cube with those tools.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ahhhhhhhhhhh...the oft repeated Anschutz Yarn. Hint..................

IC B3

G
G
4D Reamer Rentals rents crown cutters.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I've had really good luck with a Dave Manson crown cutter. Cut the barrel on a band saw that left it pretty ugly. Used the flat cutter to face it off. Then switched to the 11 degree cutter. Came out with a really good edge that wouldn't pull a thread off a quetip. Is a little pricey but then you have it.

It is hard to use a file to get the face of the barrel square with a tapered barrel. Bill

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
"Columbian" style:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,410
Posts18,489,010
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.