Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Rickety,

Your Proclivities and Fascinations,are anything but "surprising"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hanco,
Congrats on the 700 Classic. I enjoy the heck out of my Model 70 Classic 300 H&H. Converted from a 300 Winchester.

GeeDub, This is said with the utmost reverence. You are simply a gun whore par excellante.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great find!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This one would be the grandfather to that Classic.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Ken, Regarding Bedeaux builds, I think I'm down to this one, which Roy blued, and a .270 FN, which Roy built and my dad put in a Bansner for me. The .270 is so good I haven't felt the need for another .270 since building it.

Do you have pictures of the .270, DMD?

Bedeaux re-stocked a Winchester M 70 SS .375 H&H in a Bansner stock for me about 5-6 years ago. I have nothing but high praise for his work!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Here are some pictures of the .404 Jeffery I bought from Roy Bedeaux.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Pictures of the 7x57 Roy built for me.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
DessertMuffinDear,

You woulda' been wayyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead,with a 300 Winny,which is of course a MUCH better fit. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

The romantic side of firearms always has eluded this cat. To him firearms are just tools. No different from a hammer or wrench. He isn't cultured enough to appreciate the finer joys of firearms.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

We have a winner!

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
Beautiful rifles GWB. Love fine wood

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Big Stick
DessertMuffinDear,

You woulda' been wayyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead,with a 300 Winny,which is of course a MUCH better fit. Hint.

The romantic side of firearms always has eluded this cat. To him firearms are just tools. No different from a hammer or wrench. He isn't cultured enough to appreciate the finer joys of firearms.

DooshMike,

I'll leave Inert Ammo and Plastic Knives to you and I'll simply tote wares that actually work...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Not that I don't enjoy your High Pitched Nasal Whine and Melting Snowflake Routine. Hint.

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Nice rifle, Hanco!

Anyone know why Remington opted for the extra thick, hard butt pads on the Classics?

My 700 Classic .35 Whelen has the same pad…

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Ken, Regarding Bedeaux builds, I think I'm down to this one, which Roy blued, and a .270 FN, which Roy built and my dad put in a Bansner for me. The .270 is so good I haven't felt the need for another .270 since building it.

Bedeaux re-stocked a Winchester M 70 SS .375 H&H in a Bansner stock for me about 5-6 years ago. I have nothing but high praise for his work!

Hanco, I apologize for hijacking your thread. Yours truly is a nice rifle

Ken,

Here is my .270. 24" number 2. I assume a Shilen because that is usually what Roy uses. Metal and bluing by Roy Bedeaux. My dad fitted and painted the stock. This rifle is consistently a 3/4" or so gun with most anything, which is great because I prize consistency with a variety of ammo. The rifle is +/- 8 pounds as pictured (maybe 8.25 I haven't weighed it lately). Back when I was young and climbing the Guadalupes and Sacramentos, I prized light weight. As I've gained experience hunting different places I've gotten where I prefer 8-8.5 pounds with a little barrel weight. The rifle model that snuck into the picture is Clover, our BMC. This is a favorite.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/16970671/270

Here is a .30-06 my dad bought from my friend JMSSI (RIP) as a project. My dad stocked it and then realized the bolt was on the wrong side so I bought it from him. The FN barrel fouled and didn't shoot as well as I wanted (typical of both FN branded and JC Higgins guns in my experience). I don't remember the exact specs, but had Bartlein build a barrel with specifically to be 21" finished and to gradually increase in diameter near the muzzle for 5/8" threaded barrel, sort of like a "swamped" muzzleloader barrel. A benchrest shooter my dad knows chambered and barreled it. He only had an AI reamer so I tried some .280 AI in it to test feeding and they worked so I thought, "cool, I can shoot factory ammo and then the brass won't stretch." So, it's a .30-06 AI. This one is a tack driver and also a favorite. My 7 YO son is convinced it never misses and in his mind is super powerful.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/16970686/30-06-ai

Here is another I purchased from JMSSI. It had a funky stock and this steel Redfield sight. My dad suggested we build a rifle around the sight. Tikka had a run of 8x57s about this time, and I had been experimenting with one. Through this, I learned the 8x57, loaded to modern 60,000 psi or so pressures is fully equal to a .30-06 but my perception is with slightly less recoil.I had also seen it used to good effect by locals in Namibia. I thought an 8x57 would make a great open sight gun. This one shoots 195-grain Hornadys at 2,700 using RL17. Barrel and metal work were done by Jim Kobe, bluing was done by Roy Bedeaux, the stock was done by my dad and set up to have the sights aligned when you throw the gun up.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/16970712/8x57

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by WAM
Nice rifle, Hanco!

Anyone know why Remington opted for the extra thick, hard butt pads on the Classics?

My 700 Classic .35 Whelen has the same pad…

They used two thicknesses on the 700 Classics, the thicker version on magnum chamberings (and the whelen) , a thinner (maybe half as thick?) version on "standard " chamberings. My .250, 300 Savage, and 280 Classics have the thin pad, my 350 RemMag has the thick one. I don't find them all that hard, but then again several of my rifles have steel butt plates!

And nice rifle Hanco, you done good. From what I can tell, most Classics are good shooters.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Hanco, I apologize for hijacking your thread. Yours truly is a nice rifle

Ken,

Here is my .270. 24" number 2. I assume a Shilen because that is usually what Roy uses. Metal and bluing by Roy Bedeaux. My dad fitted and painted the stock. This rifle is consistently a 3/4" or so gun with most anything, which is great because I prize consistency with a variety of ammo. The rifle is +/- 8 pounds as pictured (maybe 8.25 I haven't weighed it lately). Back when I was young and climbing the Guadalupes and Sacramentos, I prized light weight. As I've gained experience hunting different places I've gotten where I prefer 8-8.5 pounds with a little barrel weight. The rifle model that snuck into the picture is Clover, our BMC. This is a favorite.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/16970671/270

Here is a .30-06 my dad bought from my friend JMSSI (RIP) as a project. My dad stocked it and then realized the bolt was on the wrong side so I bought it from him. The FN barrel fouled and didn't shoot as well as I wanted (typical of both FN branded and JC Higgins guns in my experience). I don't remember the exact specs, but had Bartlein build a barrel with specifically to be 21" finished and to gradually increase in diameter near the muzzle for 5/8" threaded barrel, sort of like a "swamped" muzzleloader barrel. A benchrest shooter my dad knows chambered and barreled it. He only had an AI reamer so I tried some .280 AI in it to test feeding and they worked so I thought, "cool, I can shoot factory ammo and then the brass won't stretch." So, it's a .30-06 AI. This one is a tack driver and also a favorite. My 7 YO son is convinced it never misses and in his mind is super powerful.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/16970686/30-06-ai

Here is another I purchased from JMSSI. It had a funky stock and this steel Redfield sight. My dad suggested we build a rifle around the sight. Tikka had a run of 8x57s about this time, and I had been experimenting with one. Through this, I learned the 8x57, loaded to modern 60,000 psi or so pressures is fully equal to a .30-06 but my perception is with slightly less recoil.I had also seen it used to good effect by locals in Namibia. I thought an 8x57 would make a great open sight gun. This one shoots 195-grain Hornadys at 2,700 using RL17. Barrel and metal work were done by Jim Kobe, bluing was done by Roy Bedeaux, the stock was done by my dad and set up to have the sights aligned when you throw the gun up.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/16970712/8x57

DMD, those are some sweet rifles, I really liked the 8x57!

Your Dad sure does some mighty fine stock work too!

DMD, Roy used a Shilen barrel for my 7x57, but I don't what barrel manufacturer is used for the .404 Jeffery.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thank you for the kind words, Ken. I need to get the 8x57 out and shoot something with it. Your .404 is really nice. That is a cartridge I really like.

In my experience, Roy most often uses Shilen, though I've heard him mention Douglas also. Shilen had a time when they put out some dogs about 20 years ago. I had one of those and it was awful. On a clean barrel, it would shoot about 2-3" for three shots or so until it fowled, then the point of impact would raise about three inches and it would shoot 3/4 MOA for about 10-12 shots until it really got fowled, then groups would open up to 3-4" until it was cleaned and the process would repeat. Recent Shilens I've been around have been good, though not as good for me as Bartlein.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 02/17/22.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thank you for the kind words, Ken. I need to get the 8x57 out and shoot something with it. Your .404 is really nice. That is a cartridge I really like.

In my experience, Roy most often uses Shilen, though I've heard him mention Douglas also. Shilen had a time when they put out some dogs about 20 years ago. I had one of those and it was awful. On a clean barrel, it would shoot about 2-3" for three shots or so until it fowled, then the point of impact would raise about three inches and it would shoot 3/4 MOA for about 10-12 shots until it really got fowled, then groups would open up to 3-4" until it was cleaned and the process would repeat. Recent Shilens I've been around have been good, though not as good for me as Bartlein.

It can go the other way too. I wasn't real happy with a Bartlein and the Shilen Select I replaced it with is a keeper.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

You're welcome DMD.

That .404 weighs about 8 lbs maybe a little more and while not brutal, it is lively off the bench. I may take it cow elk hunting this fall if I get drawn for a tag. I use 400 grain Woodleigh soft points at 2176 fps IIRC.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When I had one, I load 400-gr Swifts to 2250 with RL15. Mine was maybe 8.75 with scope and had very tolerable recoil.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Enjoy your 300 H&H Mag it is a ground and feeds very smooth. Nice Find enjoy.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1_deuce, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 51 invisible), 2,249 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,134
Posts18,483,931
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.