-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Comparing the Sierra to the Hornady loading manuals for data on Varget and 150 grain bullets in my .308.
Sierra lists 47 grains of Varget with 150 Sierra SP as maximum, while Hornady lists 45 grains of Varget as maximum for its 150 grain corelocked bullets.
Is the 150 grain corelocked Hornady that much harder a bullet then the 150 Sierra SP?
It’s a nuisance, got to ladder test all over again, since my Sierra bullets I used before are not available in Calgary at the moment.

I know there are variations in powder lot numbers, test barrels etc, but I thought 2 full grains difference is a lot, correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by Gyrfalcon; 02/18/22.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have seen similar differences in loads over the years and that is one reason that I have about a dozen different load manuals.

I have no explanation or further comment.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Speer 46.5
Nosler 47C
Sierra 47.4C
Hodgdon 47C

I never have trusted Hornady data since 94 since they never match with even the powder manufacturers.

Swifty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Gyrfalcon
Comparing the Sierra to the Hornady loading manuals for data on Varget and 150 grain bullets in my .308.
Sierra lists 47 grains of Varget with 150 Sierra SP as maximum, while Hornady lists 45 grains of Varget as maximum for its 150 grain corelocked bullets.
Is the 150 grain corelocked Hornady that much harder a bullet then the 150 Sierra SP?
It’s a nuisance, got to ladder test all over again, since my Sierra bullets I used before are not available in Calgary at the moment.

I know there are variations in powder lot numbers, test barrels etc, but I thought 2 full grains difference is a lot, correct me if I am wrong.

What brass are you using?

G
OP Offline
G
Hornady brass, sorted by weight.

Last edited by Gyrfalcon; 02/18/22.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bullets vary, every barrel is different and powder lots may vary so I'm not surprised when max loads from the manuals don't line up.

I've had fast barrels that showed pressure/speed quickly and some barrels that I could load over "book max" before I ever approached published velocities.

That's why they all say to work up from starting loads to see where your rifle needs to be.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Everything is different, the brass, primer, powder lot #, bullet, rifle, etc., so results will be different as well.

Re-read what Colodog wrote above.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The man with two watches never knows what time it is. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
47 gr is closer to the pressure I would want to run [slightly less crazy wimpy], but fitting more than 45 gr may be hard to do.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I just put 47 grains of Varget into a new, unfired Hornady 308 Win. match case. I poured it swirl style through a powder funnel and did not use a drop tube. The powder came right to the base of the neck so if pressures in the OP's rifle allow then the volume of fill shouldn't be a problem.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Gyrfalcon

Yeah, you're wrong.

Ten years I published my book RIFLE TROUBLE-SHOOTING AND HANDLOADING (which is still selling pretty well), and included a fairly long chapter titled "Reloading Data," which explains all the reasons data varies so much from source to source. Though I did also point out that these days it tends to vary less than it used to, due to more standardized pressure-testing.

Yet magazine readers and Campfire members kept asking the same question about variations, so when I published the much larger BIG BOOK OF GUN GACK in 2015, I included the same chapter, this time called it "Why Reloading Data Varies."

My advice is the get over it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i've kind of always figured published max laod data is likely well under any true "max" data simply becasue this country has far more lawyers in it than necessary I start in the mid range and work up from there

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Lawyers have relatively little to do with it--and there's also the question of what's "true max."

Maximum load data is pretty much determined by SAAMI, which determines it after considering what firearms have been produced in any chambering, plus how much pressures tend to vary (both high AND low) in a particular cartridge.

But no matter what the rifle round, SAAMI never allows an average maximum pressure (MAP) of 65,000 PSI. This is because their standardized testing takes place at 70 degrees Fahrenheit, and even today many powders will result in FAR higher pressures when a rifle's shot in warmer conditions. So they prefer some margin of safety to allow for that factor--or a worn barrel, which contrary to popular believe can actually result in higher pressures, especially during earlier stages of erosion.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,663 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,627
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.