-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Need to get a cheek riser for a Henry single shot and am looking at two that would seem to meet my criteria, the Tourbon neoprene adjustable one and the Beartooth Comb Raising Kit 2.0. Both just slip onto the stock.

- has to be easy on and off, only using it to work up loads with a scope then will take the scope and cheek riser off
- can't use tape or anything sticky
- relatively inexpensive, no fancy leather lace up stuff since this will see temporary use and then gather dust.

The Tourbon inserts are more rounded and form fitting but I'm not seeing any hole for a sling swivel stud. The Beartooth inserts are just flat foam inserts but it does have a cutout for the rear sling swivel.

Going on the assumption that both would work, are there any deal breakers or gotchas about either one?

Tourbon:

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Beartooth:

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

[Linked Image from cdn.shopify.com]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the Beartooth on a couple of rifles and have no complaints. Once the riser(s) is/are in place (with a dash of swearing), they definitely stay put.

I wonder if the Tourbon with its form-fitting nature down around the sides would put more distance (on the side) between face and stock?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
With the temp use you are talking about, why not a slip on ammo carrier and a cut up pool noodle. Could probably piece one together for $5-$6.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the Beartooth comb risers on several Ruger American Rifle Predators and on a couple of Savage 24 with the low comb synthetic stocks. They work as advertised. I've got 2 different styles, 1 with and 1 without cartridge or shotgun shell loops.

The pool noodle and elastic ammo sleeve sounds like it would be worth trying if you don't want to spend $25+/- on the Beartooth unit. If it works, you're good to go and if it doesn't work, you're just out a little time and $$.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Look like decent things to try. Not sure why hole for sling swivel is a big deal if you are only using it for load development. Most off the bench?

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have one of the Bear tooth risers as well. It works. Good for adjustability. I generally use a couple strips of wide painter tape to hold the foam in place while I work the sleeve down over the comb into place. Once in place, no issue.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have the Bear Tooth and, as noted, a PITA to install but a quality piece. I recently purchased an ITC Marksmanship in "leather' and it seems like a solid product with easy on/off. I am going to try it out today on my HK.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SKane
I have the Beartooth on a couple of rifles and have no complaints. Once the riser(s) is/are in place (with a dash of swearing), they definitely stay put.

I wonder if the Tourbon with its form-fitting nature down around the sides would put more distance (on the side) between face and stock?

Been there; done that.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like triad tactical cheek pads. Some come with a pouch and they also have them without a pouch like the one I am linking. Once you have the Velcro adjusted with the buckles, they are very easy to put on and take off without further adjusting. No interference with the sling stud. They are well made.

https://triadtactical.com/triad-stock-pad/

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one on my 30-06. They work as advertised. Mine does slip a bit toward the action after a bit.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Cut up some beer coozies to raise the comb, use packing tape if you don’t like duct. I cut mine in strips approx 3/4-1” wide and secured with duct until I hit the height I needed. Simple. Don’t want tape in your cheek add moleskin.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[quote=bwinters]I have one on my 30-06. They work as advertised. Mine does slip a bit toward the action after a bit. [/quoteI

I made a wrap type comb riser from 5mm neoprene wader material. I cut a pattern before I cut the neoprene, and used velcro and goop cement to fasten the ends where they meet on the offside. This slipped forward under recoil, but I put strips of double-sticky cellophane tape top of comb and underside and it stays put now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (300_savage, AB2506, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 662 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,224
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.