Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Rakkasan
Some members here may remember this...

I bought a gun once. Spent an awful lot of money that I didn't have. I sold seven other nice guns to cover the cost. For anyone interested in the fiasco surrounding this event, the thread starts 01/30/06.

When it arrived, the butt plate was peeking out of the hard case and the box it was in. Thankfully, there was no damage to the gun.

Since then, my standard shipping container for long guns has been a piece of ABS pipe closed with two test plugs. Never had a problem.

Doug

Thanks Doug. I do similar. My friend is a printer and he gets card board cylinders that are about an inch thick, that rolls of paper 4' high come on, with big plugs in the end. I think I read on one they have a 1200 pound per square inch crush point. I use then for scopes and barrels. The only way I found them he was throwing one away. Now we keep a stock of 8-10 in my shipping supply's. Sometimes you have to literally think outside the box.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Poconojack,

I bought mine from a local plastic pipe supply house. Green 8" sewer pipe. I also use as much bubble wrap as necessary.

Doug

An armed society is a polite society.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you ship in a hard case, should it be paper wrapped, so it does not look like a gun case? Many years ago Walmart cases came in a cardboard box. Now you have to find something to put the case in on your own.

I did receive a rifle in a cheap hardcase that was not wrapped or even locked. The closest thing to a lock was a 3/4" strip of tape through the handles.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Here's a 1915 250-3000 action getting ready to got to Texas. When I say bubble wrap is not the best shipping material for rifles, that's in cardboard boxes, it does not add rigidity. In tubes, the crush strength is in the tube, so bubble wrap is the perfect material. It keeps the object from moving. With these tubes the plugs tap in flush with the tube. I glue one end in. With scopes I have wrapped them in old hand towels, bubble wrap, or like here, shredded paper in zip lock's. Our new shedder does not make long strings. It makes little squares like old computer punch cards. I pack it in so it's tight enough it can't move. I put the top plug in and use 3, 1 1/4" torx deck screw. Screw them in till they are below the surface so they wont snag, then tape both ends with Gorilla shipping tape. Before closing it up I do block the holes in the plugs. One of the tools for opening a paint can works good for pulling the plugs out, any stiff tool with a hook works.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/yZMl4W9.jpg[/img

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My FFL received one rifle for me that was thrown in a cardboard box with no, zero, nada, none of anything else. Packaged by a gun shop no less.

Uline sells heavy cardboard gun boxes sized to fit the plastic gun cases.

LOL
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've gotten two in the past few weeks in the plastic case with no box. One had a hole for a pad lock and it had a zip tie in it, I was good with that. I prefer to put a couple turns around the latches with Gorilla tape. If I had a sleeve to slide the case in I'd use it, but a lot of the sleeves have a picture of a gun case on them anyway, so I don't sweat that.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
My FFL received one rifle for me that was thrown in a cardboard box with no, zero, nada, none of anything else. Packaged by a gun shop no less.

Uline sells heavy cardboard gun boxes sized to fit the plastic gun cases.

Thanks for the Uline tip. Three of the guns I got around the time of John wright's sales came in very sturdy gun size boxes that I really liked. I wondered where they got them?

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Still trying to wrap my head around how having a gun broke in half can somehow be my fault.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
just for ghits and shiggles, here is a stock i received via usps. exactly as shipped.

Attached Images
mortimer stock reduced.jpg (10.25 KB, 195 downloads)

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I was betrayed by the light plastic gun case idea when I shipped my grandpa's 1927 '95 Winchester to myself years ago and the USPS broke it. Since then I've had very good results with the high quality padded boxes made by Cameron Packaging. surrounded by a 1x4 frame which is then covered over with either more cardboard or plywood. For shipping an original 1861 Springfield I made a case out of insulation foam with a wood frame covered in plywood. It was heavy and expensive to ship, but the peace of mind and good results were worth it.

I like Longbeard King's use of the plano all weather case. Does anyone have any experience with these in regards to ruggedness and waterproof-ness?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pabucktail

I like Longbeard King's use of the plano all weather case. Does anyone have any experience with these in regards to ruggedness and waterproof-ness?

There is very little "waterproof-ness in ANY hard case. That Crescent grade gun was shipped as seen in the picture. That plano case is the most rugged case I have ever seen, with the exception of a welded aluminum case that DiamondJim shipped me my solid Frame K. Both guns had bulletproof shipping. BOTH were also shipped in heavy corrugated boxes that I believe were fabricated by the sellers themselves. Thank you Jim and Bob. BTW, Longbeardking did NOT use the plano. The seller thought enough of the item to do everything in his power to ensure a safe trip for that item. I have never sold a gun that needed shipping.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
a long box 50+" does not take a genus to figure out its a gun

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by pabucktail

There is very little "waterproof-ness in ANY hard case. That Crescent grade gun was shipped as seen in the picture. That plano case is the most rugged case I have ever seen, with the exception of a welded aluminum case that DiamondJim shipped me my solid Frame K. Both guns had bulletproof shipping. BOTH were also shipped in heavy corrugated boxes that I believe were fabricated by the sellers themselves. Thank you Jim and Bob. BTW, Longbeardking did NOT use the plano. The seller thought enough of the item to do everything in his power to ensure a safe trip for that item. I have never sold a gun that needed shipping.

Pelican cases are very waterproof. Also very pricey.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Still trying to wrap my head around how having a gun broke in half can somehow be my fault.

My friend, I told you that a damage is not always caused buy you. I specifically told you about the cast iron pipe factory that made elbows to hook fire hydrants to the main feed lines. They started putting them in card board boxes and hand writing 69 pounds on them, to keep from paying the over weight surcharge, for being over 70 pounds. If one of those gets in the load and shifts, it crushes every thing on the way down. You would hope the loader would send it to the clerk for inspection. But, even if he did, as I think it was Randy that said, it still wouldn't make it unbroke.

The thing that bothers me more than the damage is how all shippers jump on any loop hole to get out of paying the insurance.

The reality is they are trying. When I started in 1986, full timers got 1 eight hour day of training. Part timers got 1 four hour day of training. Now Part timers get 2 weeks, of eight hour days of training. That's 4 hours to 80 hours. That is a BIG effort.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rick99
If you ship in a hard case, should it be paper wrapped, so it does not look like a gun case? Many years ago Walmart cases came in a cardboard box. Now you have to find something to put the case in on your own.

I did receive a rifle in a cheap hardcase that was not wrapped or even locked. The closest thing to a lock was a 3/4" strip of tape through the handles.

I make my own box. I tape 3 1/2 of these medium rate boxes together end to end, I block out the "Medium flate rate" with permanent marker. The homemade box covers the Walmart gun case perfectly. The PO measures it, weighs it and ships it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve got to agree with Joe. Pack items as securely as possible.

Remember the old tv commercial where Samsonite luggage is being thrown around by a gorilla? Just assume that your package is going to get the same rough treatment. Not to imply that delivery employees are intentionally abusing packages, but recognize the risks when thousands of packages are being handled as expeditiously as possible.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks again Randy, we need to get you to do a video.

Forest, you reminded me of the Gateway computer add where a suit and tie guy is tell of all the advantages of their product, when a black and white cow box falls from above him and bounces on the floor. he said something like this doesn't hurt them. Just for fun I'm going to see if I can find that add.

It seems like the manufacturers found that a chunk of styrofoam cut to fit the product is the best way.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Anytime I sell/ship a gun I go to Walmart and purchase the cheapest hard-guncase that they have. I don't wrap that case but I do have it taped shut when I am at the UPS terminal. Those cases were around $22 last time I did this and I add it to the shipping cost to the buyer. Never had one get busted yet.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, no matter where you fall on the packaging spectrum, this will be an interesting case study on insurance policies that you pay extra for. You pay them once to do their job, then you pay them again to protect yourself from them doing their job. Now we'll see if their insurance policy is worth a schit.

BTW, haven't heard a peep from UPS since filing the claim.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yep, paying them extra for insurance to protect you from them. What a scam. Wish I had thought of that. It would be like a client paying me up front to build them a dining room table, and then me asking for extra on top of that as a guarantee that I won't screw it up.

It should be a given that each and every package will be accorded due respect. To not do that is slovenliness on their part and a breach of the implied contract. Whatever happened to basic human respect for other's property? At the end of the day I want myself and my goods to be treated correctly, not hornswoggled with excuses. If they need better/more employees and safer/less injurious systems it's up to them to figure out how, not me, and I shouldn't have to plot how to thwart their hornyhandedness.

That $22 hardcase from Walmart with writing all over the cardboard slip cover? Meh. Four minutes on Amazon to order a $30 one (shipped to your door and arrives in like 3 days) and you get a slipcase with no writing on it and you save the gas, time, and miss rubbing elbows with the skeevy denizens of Walmart. No brainer to me.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,336
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.