-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is probably the twentieth thread so far on the "new" Remingtons. I bought one of the first 700's to hit the shelves, and it passed my inspection just fine. So far, I have not read where anyone that bought one said it wasn't any good. They are using what were most likely some parts, stocks in particular, that were left over when Remington shut their doors. I believe the new ones will be a better rifle than the old ones..............and I'm not saying there was anything wrong with the old 700's. The Xmark-Pro trigger sucked, but the rifles shot just fine. As a matter of fact, some the best groups I've shot with 700's came from the RR rifles. I'm not saying the finish and fit were outstanding, because in most cases they weren't, but the rifles were good shooters for the most part.

Most of the anti-Remington crap that you read online come from people who've either never owned one, or just want to bitch about something. It's simple........you don't like them, don't buy one, but respect someone else who does buy one, because after all, it is their money and not yours.

HR IC

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Yep. I just bought another one and this one is very nice again. More nicely finished than the old ones and the trigger didn't need adjusted either.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Alright, I’m gonna buy one.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by Three30Eight
Cant be worse than the RR prefix guns that were coming out of Ilion prior to their bankruptcy. Those were some of the worst firearms ive ever seen. The last one I got was so out of wack it had no primary extraction and had to have the bolt handle removed and reinstalled...and still was about 3 MOA lol.

I hope the new ones are great..im also a fan of the 700 design

Ok, this is the kind of intel I’m after here. I literally tuned out of all things M700 for the last several+ years as I’ve just been either re-barreling rifles i already had, or buying donor rifles, or bare actions from Bud’s.

So they got bad in the RR prefix era, gotcha.

If I buy this thing (it’s a 6.5 Creed MR, seems perfect for my daughter) the hope would of course be it’s be a “good enuff” rifle out of the box... the next thing would be if it isn’t, then at least it’s still a good action for a rebarrel without having to go to extreme measures.... having to remove the bolt handle would qualify, haha...

Jeff you've spent the past 4 years on here peddling your Trump Russian collusion lies. you've proven over and over again you're a low iq anti gun, anti hunting pathological liar and a drug addict

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
This is probably the twentieth thread so far on the "new" Remingtons. I bought one of the first 700's to hit the shelves, and it passed my inspection just fine. So far, I have not read where anyone that bought one said it wasn't any good. They are using what were most likely some parts, stocks in particular, that were left over when Remington shut their doors. I believe the new ones will be a better rifle than the old ones..............and I'm not saying there was anything wrong with the old 700's. The Xmark-Pro trigger sucked, but the rifles shot just fine. As a matter of fact, some the best groups I've shot with 700's came from the RR rifles. I'm not saying the finish and fit were outstanding, because in most cases they weren't, but the rifles were good shooters for the most part.

Most of the anti-Remington crap that you read online come from people who've either never owned one, or just want to bitch about something. It's simple........you don't like them, don't buy one, but respect someone else who does buy one, because after all, it is their money and not yours.

Yeah, people I know who Blueprint actions have told me the factory guns they’ve encountered needed no work.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I have a late build 700 VS in .223 that is shooting bugholes with the loads I worked up for my AR. Stupid me .. shooting the donor, now I'm not sure I have a donor.

I have one of the new 700 SS Mountain Rifles in 6.5 CM that I bought before Christmas ready to go to the range but I've been too lazy to load up ammo. Hoping to get out there Friday if it warms up a little. The only negative I'd say about it right now is that stock is mighty chunky for such a slim barrel. I'd like it a lot better paired with a magnum sporter contour barrel. If I like it, if it's a keeper, I'll find a slimmer stock for it.

Anyway .. I think the late build 700s may be an improvement over some of the ones built even 2-3 years ago. They put out some real lemons for a while.

Hey Tom! smile

That’s exactly the rifle I’m thinking of buying for A. It’s either that, or set her up with my 7-08 MR which would be fine too. She’s been shooting a lot with me, and is really into the idea of getting her own venison this year, and will be working in Idaho, Montana, etc all summer/fall deep in the backwoods.

My 7-08 has been made about as light as it can be, so I’d probably want to un-do some of that if it’s going to be her rifle. She’s not a fan of recoil.

The 6.5 CM seems perfect... plus it’s a fun shiny thing, haha... I’m just a bit skeeved about all the chaos at Big Green. Hopefully it stayed upstairs and didn’t make it down into the machine shop, so to speak.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The new BDL I handled a few weeks ago at my LGS was very nice and I thought a much better build than 2000-era 700's. It was closer to 80's and 90's quality. I went back to get it a few days later and it was gone.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is just me.
But if you have to ask about their quality + 20 other threads.
Maybe just move on to something like Bergara or tikka.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i'd like to handle one of their new bdl's but there are none to be found in my area.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I've looked at probably 20 of the ADL's at the big box stores.

The bbl is centered in the channel, the bolt operates as smooth as any new M700 I've tried, the matte finish is much smoother than the old gravel blasted finish and is consistent throughout.

The only one I know of is that's been shot, in 308, and the owner is quite pleased with the groups he's getting with 150g NBT"s.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by T_O_M

I have one of the new 700 SS Mountain Rifles in 6.5 CM that I bought before Christmas ready to go to the range but I've been too lazy to load up ammo. Hoping to get out there Friday if it warms up a little. The only negative I'd say about it right now is that stock is mighty chunky for such a slim barrel. I'd like it a lot better paired with a magnum sporter contour barrel. If I like it, if it's a keeper, I'll find a slimmer stock for it.

Anyway .. I think the late build 700s may be an improvement over some of the ones built even 2-3 years ago. They put out some real lemons for a while.

Um, The new RemArms is not cataloging a Mtn Rifle currently. What's your barrel code say?
There are a lot of M700 Mtn Rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor that are NOS sitting at dealers and distributors from pre bankruptcy. You most likely have a 2020 Remington Arms Mtn Rifle in 6.5.
It appears Remington made a ton of them shortly before closing the doors.

The RR M700's are as accurate as any of the previous era M700s, and often more accurate than the post late 90's to the beginning of the Alabama/RR era.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

So they got bad in the RR prefix era, gotcha.

No. The RR prefix is among the most accurate of any era of M700's built--sporter contour or HB.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The Last RR prefix I owned was a 7mag , fluted stainless barrel and cdl stock. The chamber was crooked, which I was told was sort of common with later Remingtons.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who owns RemArms now, who's making the rifles?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 257Bob
Who owns RemArms now, who's making the rifles?

Roundhill Group are the owners. Still made in New Yawk.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't know about the RR rifles as I was just using the action to build on. The RR. is way truer than many of the older Remington actions I have seen. The primary extraction is still hit or miss.
I have worked on maybe 6 or 8 RR receivers and the threads to bore are more square and the face of the action is really square as well.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by pullit
I don't know about the RR rifles as I was just using the action to build on. The RR. is way truer than many of the older Remington actions I have seen. The primary extraction is still hit or miss.
I have worked on maybe 6 or 8 RR receivers and the threads to bore are more square and the face of the action is really square as well.

The A prefix, S62xxxxx and S63xxxxx, and RR all have the reputation of being “ squared up”. Undoubtedly there are individual exceptions…….

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Three30Eight
Yes...the RR prefix guns are pretty universally known as the worst 700s ever made. To the point that the some precision gunsmiths won't use them.

Now you will hear in about three seconds from a bunch of folks on this sight who love their "moa all day long if i do my part" RR 700...but do some digging. They are the worst. That being said the most accurate out of the box 700 i ever had was a .308 SPS that was a RR gun so there are always exceptions.

I’m one of those. I’ve never been a big 700 fan, but the most accurate rifle I own is an RR prefix SPS 7mm-08. Admittedly, it does wear a McMillan Edge bedded stock and has a TriggerTech trigger, but the action and barrel are original. I must have gotten one of the few good ones.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Find one at a good price sure. Beyond that. I'd look at a bergara. Just my $.02.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have never gotten a "bad" one. I think some people look for stuff to bitch about.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (Akhutr, 358wsm, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,513 guests, and 833 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.