Print Thread
Hop To
A
afisher Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
A
My brother and myself are headed to north Georgia in the end of April for some diy Turkey hunting and trout fishing. We’re looking to stay outside of Blue Ridge and going to hunt public in the surrounding area. I know there’s Blue Ridge wma and some ground closer to coopers creek as well. I’m not asking for exact ridges or anything just a little insight on the area and turkey hunting would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
good luck on your hunt.
Sorry but I don't know anything about the area

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
There are no turkey in north Georgia…….😂😂😂

Just take me to the woods
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My brother and sister in law just bought some property near Menlo, Ga, which is about 35 miles south of Chattanooga, Tn , and 1 mile east of the Alabama line. I may check into hunting somewhere in that area, myself. Their house would be a good base camp laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
My brother and sister in law just bought some property near Menlo, Ga, which is about 35 miles south of Chattanooga, Tn , and 1 mile east of the Alabama line. I may check into hunting somewhere in that area, myself. Their house would be a good base camp laugh

My kid went to school right north of there. BIG country up in there !!!

Cousin has a cabin over by Helen, GA.

I really never heard from either if they knew the turkey situation.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by Pepper69
There are no turkey in north Georgia…….😂😂😂

I guess I’ll have to just take my chances and take the wild Turkey with me and just trout fish…

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
population is dwn there

A
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
A
I understand that population is down some, judging by how they have the regulations set up so you can only kill one per area. It makes me a bit leery but to be honest with the way my work schedule is and has been I think its genuinely an effort to get away and immerse myself in trying to hunt. And to do so it may take a 6hr road trip. I went down last June and trout fished some and seen how much public ground was to roam on and it got my wheels to turning some and said what the hell it may be a fine adventure. I already know the fishing ain’t bad…so it makes it a dual purpose adventure somewhat.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by afisher
I understand that population is down some, judging by how they have the regulations set up so you can only kill one per area. It makes me a bit leery but to be honest with the way my work schedule is and has been I think its genuinely an effort to get away and immerse myself in trying to hunt. And to do so it may take a 6hr road trip. I went down last June and trout fished some and seen how much public ground was to roam on and it got my wheels to turning some and said what the hell it may be a fine adventure. I already know the fishing ain’t bad…so it makes it a dual purpose adventure somewhat.

it will be an adventure

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yes a great adventure it will be! I do trips like this quite often and I have never been disappointed, I may not kill anything but I always have a great time hunting new country.....Good luck 👍.....Hb

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 10Glocks

I lived in Chattooga County for 13 years. That place was loaded with turkeys! Wasn’t anything to see 60-75 bird flocks. Beautiful place I had there…cedar log cabin adjacent to The Chattahoochee NF. Got transferred to SW GA and I suppose this is where I’ll be buried (not soon).

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I live in Floyd county, just south of Chattooga. I can be on the Berry WMA in about 15 minutes and it has about as many turkey as you'll see on public land. I've hunted deer/bear on Coopers and Blue Ridge in the past. But have had no reason to drive any farther for turkey with Berry so close. Berry rifle deer is drawing only.

Turkey numbers are WAY down compared to a few years ago. Lots of coyote now. In fact the ones left don't gobble as much as they used to because it brings in the coyote.

Blue Ridge and Coopers creek are basically the same tract of land with a paved road separating them. Both are rather large areas with lots of room to wander and you'll likely see few hunters. Especially through the week. In addition to the WMA's there is a lot of National Forest in the same area that will be open to hunt.

Lots of good trout fishing on both areas.

Be aware that Camp Merrill is right in the middle of the Blue Ridge WMA. The army trains Rangers there and it wouldn't be unusual to run into some drills, hear gunfire, and see military vehicle traffic on the roads and skies.

The AT begins on the Blue Ridge WMA and runs through the middle of it. Turkey season is prime time for thru hikers to start. But they will be on a very small strip of trail. Unless you're using the AT to access hunting spots you'll never see them.

You can access the Blue Ridge WMA from the town of Blue Ridge, Elijay, or Dahlonega. I'm more familiar with the area near Dahlonega, but that is quite a drive for you if you're staying in Blue Ridge. If you live in SW Virginia the terrain is very similar.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck on your trip!

Hope you will let us know how it went.

I'm hoping to kill my 1st this year...

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Watch out for bigfoot.

We stayed in a cabin on Mountaintown Creek outside Elijay this past summer. I could get used to that.

A
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by killerv
Watch out for bigfoot.

LOL I get accused of being him anyways considering I’m 6’8” and around 340. Someone may think they seen him if they see me…

A
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
A
Got down Tuesday evening and rode around a bit and actually seen a couple of hens, which gave us higher hopes going into the first. Fast forward to this morning/day and we couldn’t hear a gobble if our lives depended on it. Walked around 4 miles and seen piles of older scratching, just no birds. Tomorrow is another day….

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 45 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,333
Posts18,526,724
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.