Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Got Stevens 301 in 20ga for turkey hunting and need some help. Have been pondering how to carry one or two extra shells for a backup shot if needed. What I am wanted to do is have these backup shots attached to my off hand or wrist (in my case my left hand) and not attached to my stock. I know you can purchase a slipon shell carrier that attaches to the stock, but I am looking for a way to attach to the off hand or wrist. Have not seen any such device on the market for this purpose and am trying to come up with a way of making such. Have thought of a piece of elastic to slip over hand/wrist, an elastic string type, even a shell holder to carry 2 shells, perhaps sewing a shell holder on to sleeve of my leafy jacket. or a shell holder on front chest of jacket. You guys with single shots out there how you carrying backup shells….chime in with some ideas.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't use a single shot but your question piqued my curiosity. I just did a quick eBay search using the phrase "elastic shotshell holder" and didn't see anything for a wrist. But, maybe get one for a stock and cut it to what you want and wear it on your arm? There were also ones to wear on a belt, maybe modify one of those to meet your application.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I keep whatever extra shells I have along in my left, front pants pocket. Probably not a super quick draw reload. But I've never needed to shoot a second time since I went to the single barrel, so...........

If it were something that was front and foremost in my mind, I'd hold a shell between my left pinkie and ring finger and another between the ring and middle finger for a quick reload. I have done this when hunting with an old Springfield Trapdoor rifle.

My best advice would be to shoot your gun, have a good sight-in before you take it hunting, have a good rest to keep the gun steady and only shoot reasonable distances. You'll eliminate the need for follow-up shots.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Dean, thanks…have an old turkey vest with a shell holder inside of a pocket, could cut it out and possibly sew it on my jacket on chest or the sleeve… that a good option would think. Have not checked on one for the stock but I will. Need it attached so as you eject the spent shell with your right hand then reach for a round with your right hand…all in a smooth motion so as not having to drop gun from you shoulder shooting position. I just don’t like the idea of shell being on the stock and having to reach for it with shooting hand… hard to explain unless you got a single shot and try to reload it or have experienced it. I will figure it out…thanks for the thought.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Never fell for the single shot fad.....(guess I'm not elite enough).

Back when I fall hunted with my dog I mostly hunted with a SxS. I had a leather shell holder that slipped on my belt that held 5 shells

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Google beartooth products, I have 2 shells on the forend of my 20ga h&r single shot

W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by badwolf
Google beartooth products, I have 2 shells on the forend of my 20ga h&r single shot
badwolf, looks like the one I am seeing has 2 rifle rounds inside it...is that the one you have that also will hold 20 ga shells?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a buttstock carrier on my .410, but it’ll come off for hunting. Don’t like stuff hanging on my gun. I have some Ranger bands, maybe one of them will hold one on my wrist without requiring amputation.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Been working on this and may have solved it. I have a nylon pouch with a velcro flap to close it....like 3" long or so. Holds 2 shells, maby 3 if you want. Took 2 big safety pins and attached it at the top of my jacket where the zipper ends when you zip it up.....on my right side so as not having to reach across the stock when removing a shell....right there at my chin. Sat down with my gun, depressed barrel latch to open and eject spent shell, took right hand removed a shell, placed in barrel...ready for next shot. Works perfect. Probably chasing a problem that has never presented itself for me at least....only one time ever had to take a second shot at a bird and with a pump that is no problem, but with a single shot would be behind the eight ball so to speak if not prepared. Also, with the velcro flap to close over the shells eliminates possibility of shells being lost while moving.....thanks guys for your help, sometimes you just have to put the thinking cap on. Hopes this helps someone else out there. Won't be long now....checking out a new piece of land this morning that have permission to hunt only couple miles from home....almost a square mile and no one hunting it...loaded with birds. A new track is always a pleasure to tackle and see what is out there, and this looks real promising. Wish you guys all this best this year, Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's an outfit called Cedar Buck Outdoors. They have two systems .............the Double Up and the Sidekick............that clip rounds to the receiver of the gun.

They have a Facebook page.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Wonder if an elastic butt slide would fit on your biceps.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Shell holder in front of your vest is how I do it, same method I used rabbit hunting as a kid..works great.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
drill a shell size hole in your stock.....

Look for tacticool velcro on shell holder. They seem to be displacing the side saddle shell holders.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats on your new hunting spot. You’re very fortunate compared to those of us who have to slog around on public patches.

After deciding I was going to forgo the buttcuff on my little Henry, I found a Beartooth comb-raising kit, the rifle model that should hold the tiny shells, and let me adjust the comb height to line my eye up with the Bushnell Lil P prism sight. Looks like this one will stay in place and keep the ammo off my cheek too.

They also make a shotgun model and other stuff that might help.

https://www.beartooth-products.com/

What fresh Hell is this?
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You guys and girls sure seem to be worried about that follow up shot....

Guess if I shot a child's gun I would be too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Save your breath.

Won’t see it.

Not interested in anything you have to say.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I wasn't talking to your punk azz....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/24/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Save your breath.

Won’t see it.

Not interested in anything you have to say.

Makes this place a WHOOOOOOOOOOLE lot more enjoyable to visit, doesn't it ??

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Time for your riddle yoderbOy

What do you call a guy that claims he's been paid by the turkey hunting and choke tube industries for two decades won't tell who paid him and hides behind a bogus user name on the internet ?

I think most call that a phoney.....I call him YoderbOy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1936M71, 1badf350, 1234, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 53 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,436
Posts18,489,374
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.