Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Looking to buy a guide gun in 45-70. I am wondering in a hunting situation how much loader is a ported gun vs a non-ported one. Will your ears be ringing after one or maybe two shots? I normally don't wear hearing protection while hunting and don't want to start. I guess as far as that goes how is the noise in a non-ported guide gun 45-70, I have never shot. Any help on this will be much appreciated before laying the green on the counter.

Thanks
BoomSplat

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I personally would never, ever, buy the ported model. They are deafening, and the muzzle blast is unreal....

Wouldn't want to shoot one out of a gun shack(blind) without ear plugs....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a 444P and like it alot. The porting helps with muzzle jump. I definately wouldn't want to hunt in a shack with it but we don't hunt that way around here. Out in the open I can honestly say I don't find the blast worse than any other short barreled rifle. I would not want any one standing next to me when I shoot it though.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I personally dont wear ear protection while hunting, as sound is such a key point to being successful. As for it being to loud, it is VERY VERY loud, but when hunting/ shooting at a deer, elk, moose, bear etc. i have never even realized sound, only the shot, and watching the animal. Its not gonna shell shock you if thats what your asking!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hate sitting next to my buddy when he shoots his ported 450......

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I shot two deer with my 45-70 guide gun as they were running by in the woods. This was the first time I had shot the gun without hearing protection. 3 shots is 10 seconds or less (one needed a coup de gras). I could not hear out of my left ear for a week. That gun went down the road after that. I now have a guide gun unported. It is not the gun.

There are usually a bunch of nay sayers that it is no louder than x gun and you must be a whimp to suffer hearing loss. This is my experience. No one can deny that.

Everyone at the range notices someone shooting the guide gun, ported or not.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd rather the recoil, than the porting, any day......

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks for the imput on this. I worked as crash rescue firefighter for 30 years and was around fighter aircraft all the time. Usually most of the time doing my job it was up close and personal when most sane people were taking a double dose of haul a$$ away from the jet. I wore hearing protection at all times but still suffered some hearing loss and don't care to lose anymore, thus my concern about the noise from an unported guide gun. I am going to shoot a friends guide gun (unported) today and am planning on shooting it once without protection to see what to expect. Again thanks for help on this.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a ported 450 1895M and an unported 444s, as well as a BFR pistol in each caliber. I wouldn't want to shoot either of them without hearing protection, but the ported guide gun is the last ported rifle I will ever buy. It is loud even compared to the BFR when you shoot it. Standing near-by it doesn't make any difference (they all are loud). My suggestion for the field is to get one of the new muffs that only kick in when levels rise to loud. Your hearing is too important to fool with, and every shot is cumulative over the years.

[Linked Image]
"What will you say when God asks you 'why?'"

KJ believer
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have both the ported and unported 1895G models. I honestly can't tell the difference in report when I'm shooting it. I am told by those next to me that the ported is a little louder though. Still quieter than a short barreled AR and most hi velocity centerfire bolt guns.

I also don't notice any measurable difference in recoil. Over the chronograph the loads typically are within 20 fps of each other. I wouldn't not buy one because it is ported but given the choice, I take my unported 1895GS hunting the most.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had both, actually perfer the ported guide gun. To each his own I guess.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"Will your ears be ringing after one or maybe two shots?"

The only time I ever shot my .45-70 ported Guide Gun without ear protection was when I popped a mulie with mine. My ears rang for an hour! I ended up trading it in for an un-ported 22" Marlin 1895 that doesn't handle as quickly as the GG, but is a lot more pleasant to shoot. I like the longer standard barrel better.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anyone who cannot tell that the ported model is much louder already has hearing loss IMO........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2MG-I had two of them that were ported an couldn't tell the diff, but then again you gotta consider the source here... cool

I ran some rounds thru a fairly light SxS 416 Rigby the other day. I reckon if I can deal with that then i can deal with the non ported GG.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 09/03/07.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a ported one. Sold it when my friend complained he was getting peppered with muzzle blast. The truth is your gonna get kicked either way, I now have an 1895 mxlr, my local smith cuter back to 20 inches and she works just fine cannot tell any difference in the recoil, especially when your shooting an animal your adrenalin will be pumpin', it don't matter how much adrenaline with a muzzle brake your ears are gonna pay for it. To me the trade off ain't worth it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like my ported Guide Gun in .45-70 that I bought new 10 yrs ago and I wouldn't trade it. If it wasn't ported, I still wouldn't trade it. Huh, what did you say?

George

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Noisy vs Beaucoup Noisy...I'll take the standard noisy version thanks. I have a real hate on for brakes since I hunted with a guy with a ported 300 WM.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
It's not the noise that gets you, it's the concussion from the redirection of the gases/muzzle blast from the porting that does the damage.

I used to have a rifle with a factory muzzle brake. I wound up rupturing my left ear drum.......out in the wide open.

My friend just picked up a ported 44 mag. I took one with his and all I felt was instant pain in my ear. I was rattled.

Give me the regular version. I'll deal with the recoil.

Last edited by benp; 09/26/07.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Quote: I am going to shoot a friends guide gun (unported) today and am planning on shooting it once without protection to see what to expect

Would you stick a needle in your eye to see if you'll go blind? Every shot without hearing protection damages your hearing. You will not notice at first, but it is cumulative, and permanent. Why on earth would you deliberately damage your hearing just to see how bad it is?

I have pemanent hearing damage from shooting, my dad was nearly deaf. I don't recommend it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only way I'd own a ported rifle is if they gave it to me and I could trade it for something better. Well, you get the point.

I've had more than a handful of bad experiences. I've seen people get up and leave the range when guys start shooting them.

The latest.. I was standing in the lane next to a yayhoo shooting a ported GG and a piece of debris caught me in the left cheek and left a nice cut. I thought he had a bad handload and burst a case. No, it was the blast from the ports.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1234, 160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,639
Posts18,474,450
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.