Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
j48j48 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
OK backpackers, I'm a 56yr old hunter, haven't backpacked in years, still got my camptrails explorer scout external frame pack in the attic. My son-in law has expressed intrest in possible hunt on Navajo Reservation in Navajo Mtn. area. This is a walk in or horseback area, no roads, along the edge of Lake Powell. Approx. 12 to 15 miles into the lake edge. What pack, what tent, sleeping pad, etc???? I'm sure my old Hank Roberts propane stove and light still work if I can find them. What boots??? Sandstone and high desert on the bottom of the mtn. 5500ft. to 10000plus at top of mtn. Hunt is in Nov. Probably looking at 2008 or 2009. Any suggestions??? Thanks, j48

GB1

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
You are going to get a LOT of different opinions about this but thought I'd chime in. First let me tell you there are many better and more expensive products out there than what I recommend and use but for my budget and needs the following work for me.

Tent....Hilleberg Nallo 2
http://estore.websitepros.com/1764795/-strse-79/Nallo-2/Detail.bok

Pack...MountainSmith Basecamp Series Circuit 3.0
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...productId=39202079&memberId=12500226

Sleeping Bag...North Face Snowshoe 0�
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...productId=39279725&memberId=12500226

Stove..MSR Whisperlite Internationale
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

Water Filter...Sweetwater

Boots...Vasque Clarion
http://www.backcountry.com/store/VS...KPbwW8wlaXMSlnfXnMnEtDCARV7kyKtu594joXut

Sleeping Pad...Therm-a-Rest ProLite 4 Regular

Good Luck with your adventure.

Last edited by kpyoung; 09/26/07.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I second the Hillebergs tents, i'll be getting one myself for next years sheep hunt.
Check out the Wiggy's sleeping bags, I use a Superlight which is good to 20 degree's but they have a wide variety of bags.
I also second the Prolite but make sure you test it before you take it on a 8 day hunt. Mine was defective and I dind't find that out until I was 600 miles from home. Luckily REI had it on record and I did an exchange.
Look at the Lowa Sheephunter boots, they are higly rated on a lot of websites and there's a good reason for it.
Katadyn Pro Hiker deluxe water filter system, excellent product!
If your just boilng water for cooking i'd take a look at the Jet Boil, that and 1 cannister is good for an 8 day hunt.
If your looking at an internal frame pack take a look at the Osprey line of packs. I strap a freighter frame to mine when I back pack so I have something to pack meat out with in case I connect on an animal. Like kpyoung said, there's a ton of really good stuff out there, this is just a sampling of some of the stuff that I use. Good luck in your search!

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You have lots of time to try out gear, get in shape, etc. I'd dig out my old stuff and see if it still works, see if you still like it, etc. before I bought anything new. See how your old pack feels and compare it to a new one in a store. Try every item, old or new, before taking it way back away from roads. A shakedown hike, including an overnighter, would be a good idea if you have the time. Folks have been known to hike into wilderness areas in summer and cache stuff for a Fall hunt. That gives the shakedown hike extra purpose, not that I'd suggest something like that.

My backpack stove is close to 30 years old now, still fits in a shirt pocket, and a modification I made fits current improved mixed fuel canisters. So far I still like it better than any of the new ones and I know how to operate it. Do you even need a stove? I just did an 11 day hunt and never used a stove, only miniscule campfires.

Buy new if you want a new item, or if there is improvement over the old, or if it is lighter in weight. I'd probably not pack a tent but use a light tarp in that climate, unless you will be camping exposed to high winds with no natural windbreaks. If there is any way to test pads and see which is the lightest that works for you, that would help you choose. Sleeping pads are one of those intensely personal comfort things. In some REI stores you can try out pads. Old pads have probably lost resiliency, cracked, etc.

Hiking poles are a new item since you used to pack, sure useful if you go downhill much, especially packing heavy loads of meat. Much surer footing and they reduce stress/pain in my knees an amazing amount.

Lots of good info in the archives here accessible with a leisurely search.

Sounds like a good hunt.

j48j48 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the replies, The sleeping pad is a big thing for me. Don't like to sleep on the ground anymore. My son-in law is young and strong 26yrs old, I think Dave can pack the tent. I didn't think about the water filter but sounds like a good idea, I used to boil water or take tabs, they tasted teribble but made water safe to drink. I pulled out the old pack, frame looks good,bag is pretty good but the straps and waist belt are hard and brittle. Also I am about 25 lbs heavier, belt barely goes long enough. I hope to lose a few pounds and like you say, do some test hikes first. I have a cabela's mono stick I use when hunting now. Really helps with the downhill stuff and makes a fair rifle rest also. Anything else you can think of would be good, I am sure I'm not covering it all. Planned on freeze dried food, what do you recommend for water bottle, bladder style like platapus or? Thanks agin, j48

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm just throwing some thoughts out, but in my limited experience the most comfortable sleep outside of my own bed is in a Hennessy Hammock. When I sleep on the ground the exped down mat is the best. If light weight is the name of the game I can do it with ensolite pad and a torso light. The chemical purifiers aren't as bad as they once were, and there is also the ultaviolet purifiers worth looking into. I like a bladder for and a nalgene bottle. The bladder is convenient to drink on the fly, but packed away, it's hard to get out and fill, or to know how much water you have left (also that drink tube will freeze). Once you have filled it up, and return it to the pack, it wets everything down. A nalgene bottle is easy to fill and purify, and assess volume remaining. It's kinda up to you what you want to do. I've gotten a pack that I can put a bladder in the lid, so it's easy to keep up with, but I don't think this style is common.

You didn't mention boots, and they can really be the linch-pin. Be prepared with moleskin and duct tape to treat your feet, and have lots of socks and well worn boots, and foot powder.

I love a GPS along so I can see where I've been when I get back.

Don

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
GPS is great. Even a simple one. I try to mark waypoints for locations of my truck and my camp. I turn on the track feature on mine and that way if I dump my pack to do a stalk, I can retrace my steps to my pack. Dumped my pack one time (before I had a GPS) and spent 4 hours trying to find it.

Also, I bought a Camelbak/Mystery Ranch Cercerus/Nice Frame this year and love it. I've added a load sling for hunting next week. If I get something, I'll take camp and as much meat as I can manage out to truck, swap out the bag for the load sling and start hauling quarters. I like it.

Also just purchased a "rifle holster" from Gunslingers Corral. In walking around the living room, I really, really like this. I have not actually used it on a hunt but upon initial inspection, I think it is worth the investment.

You can see it here:

Rifle holster

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
One of the best sleeping pads that I've used is the Big Agnes Air Core: http://www.bigagnes.com/str_pads.php?id=ia&PHPSESSID=35a4377cd5940f2d16f073905697cdbf

It is very comfortable and durable. Not quite as good as my mattress at home, but pretty comparable. Big Agnes had some original problems with this line of pads, but I believe they have got it straightened out by now.

I've also heard good things about the expedition down mat that Doc recommended, but have never personally tried one out. Looked into one a couple of years back, but I believe they weighed quite a bit more then the Big Agnes pad.

As was mentioned above I'd get out on some trips with the equipment you currently own. See what works, and what needs upgraded. One of the best mule deer hunters I've ever met gets out every year using equipment so primitive that it's almost unbelievable. Yet, it's all he has and you can't argue with his success.

Levi

j48j48 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the replies. I've been checking out most of your suggestions. Lots of stuff to compare. GPS is a lock. My son-in -law has to have one for his job, I belive it is a Garmin and he knows how to use it. I'll have to try some boots and see what works, foot powder, etc.. sounds like a good idea too.
could get snow or rain out there in Nov., Dang I'll miss my pack boots. Don't think I want to carry them that far. Better take a spare pair of something light and w/ goretex I'm sure. That Expedition down mat looks good, but so do a couple others. Thanks for all the help. j48

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Howdy,

FWIW, here are a few items that have served me well on backpack hunts here in Alaska, and I'm comfortable recommending them:

Tent - I have a Golite Hex 3 that has been very good to me. It is a teepee design that is very spacious for two. I have the "nest" with mine (floor and bug netting inner tent) but it can be used without a floor (or you could cut out a piece of Tyvek for a floor). Mine has held up very well in some extremely nasty weather, while I stayed dry and comfortable inside. It's also very light-weight.

Sleeping pad - I have a Thermarest Prolite 4 that has been great. You might also want to try out the Exped DownMat. I've been told that once you sleep on one you'll never use anything else!

Boots - I have the Cabela's Canadian (made by Meindl) which I have used on two sheep hunts and one goat hunt. Not a single blister or hot spot in over 100 miles! My feet always feel pretty good at the end of the day, too.

Stove - I use freeze-dried meals and oatmeal, so I only need to boil water. I have a JetBoil stove that has been great, I can't say enough good about it. Boils 2 cups of water in about three minutes, and is very stingy on fuel.

Water purification - I now use Aqua Mira drops exclusively. No chemical taste to your water, they take up almost no room in my pack, and they are fairly easy to use. Also, for day hiking I use a Camelbak, but on my backpack hunts I use 1 liter nalgene bottles. I guess I like to know just how much water I actually have.

Three years ago I went to paired trekking poles over a single hiking staff. I can use them as shooting sticks when it comes time for the shot, but they are irreplaceable for hiking in the steep, rocky terrain I always seem to get into. I'd rather forget my rifle than my trekking poles!

I also now take a Satellite phone on most of my backpack hunts. They are available for rental from several places, and the added security is well worth the relatively low cost.

Hope you don't mind me kicking in my two cents. It sounds like you have a pretty fun trip in the works!

Chris

IC B3

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I sure second the recommendation for the MSR Whisperlite Internationale.

I have one and everybody who has seen it in action has been extremely impressed. Packs small, light, burns absolutely any fuel you can find!

Several of my friends have bought one for themselves after borrowing mine.

When I lived in small apartment, I even used it to melt lead on my balcony for casting bullets!

John

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (35, 35WhelenNut, 7mm_Loco, 673, 264mag, 44automag, 17 invisible), 963 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,890
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.