Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I’m looking at getting out of New York this hunting season to see how green the grass is in other states. Although I dearly love hunting the Adirondacks, it gets to you after a while. The deer numbers are very low, and even if you do everything right, unfilled tags are still a real possibility.
I would like to keep the trip to a 12 hour drive maximum from Northern NewYork. Two states that seem to have a lot to offer are Ohio and Kentucky. I love hunting mountains, and even though deer numbers are usually lower in mountainous terrain, I believe that the densities should be considerably higher than the Adirondacks.
The Daniel Boone National forest in Kentucky looks real promising, but it’s so big I don’t know where to begin.
The Wayne National Forest in Ohio, and the Shawnee State Park in Ohio both also look good.
Any of you guys ever hunted any of these areas, I would love some guidance. Also, if there’s any areas that you know of let’s hear it.
I’m not looking for a monster necessarily. Seeing lots of deer would be a nice change. And truthfully, a buck over 110” would be great for me.

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Try the Pioneer Weapons Area.
Not sure about quantity of deer, but hunter numbers should be lower due to weapon restrictions. Also gives a new niche for you to investigate as far as weapons go. Sometimes it’s fun to learn new methods.

This would also give you a smaller area to focus your efforts to.

Last edited by Jstocks; 02/09/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jstocks
Not sure about quantity of deer, but hunter numbers should be lower due to weapon restrictions. Also gives a new niche for you to investigate as far as weapons go. Sometimes it’s fun to learn new methods.

So....what weapons are eligible?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Jstocks

So....what weapons are eligible?

Ah, never mind. I broke out the ol' Google fu. smile

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dbnf/recarea/?recid=39554

The Pioneer Weapons Wildlife Management Area was developed as a cooperative effort between the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources and the US Forest Service. The wildlife management area is surrounded by the Daniel Boone National Forest and Cave Run Lake. It is located on Cumberland Ranger District. The area is mostly forested with scattered openings. The terrain is mostly rugged with some gently sloping areas on the ridge-tops and in the creek valleys.

This 7,610-acre tract is designated for hunting with "primitive" weapons. Modern breech-loading firearms are prohibited. Hunters must use muzzle-loading firearms, bows or crossbows to hunt and harvest wild game, like Native Americans and early settlers would have hunted.

Kentucky Revised Statute 301 KAR 2:178 states that hunters in this area:
Shall not use a modern firearm;
Shall not use an inline muzzle-loading gun;
Shall not use a scope;
May use a crossbow during the entire archery season; and
Shall use only open or iron sights on any weapon.

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I had looked into the primitive weapons area some. It looks intriguing, plus I bought a Pedersoli Tiger Maple Rocky Mountain Hawken in .54 this past year. It would definitely be a cool hunt with that gun.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
IYou didnt ask but......I'd look at western PA if I was you. Even central PA will have more deer than the Daks but it is mountainous terrain and has some nice bucks. Plus it's alot closer.

Last edited by bwinters; 02/11/22.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Pennsylvania has some odd rules about bucks...gotta have three on a side and non res people are pretty much not getting doe tags so you aren't going to fill your freezer that way either.

I have settled on WV as my state of choice. Can shoot a few does and the non res license and tags are cheap and no weird rules about antlers.

Also you can use pretty much any centerfire if I recall correctly

Last edited by mjbgalt; 02/11/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Following this Miguel - for the same reasons you shared in your OP.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Have you thought about Delaware or Chenango County? Close to home, lots of public land and have always had more deer than the Adirondacks.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by bwinters
IYou didnt ask but......I'd look at western PA if I was you. Even central PA will have more deer than the Daks but it is mountainous terrain and has some nice bucks. Plus it's alot closer.

Another member PM’ed me about the possibility of the Allegheny National Forest. I have always wanted to give it a try, but I initially got fixated on Ohio, and that led to my interest in Kentucky.
My goal is to find an area that I can hike in for maybe an hour, get two or three miles away from the road, hunt without tripping over other hunters and have a reasonable chance at a decent buck, maybe 110”.
Providing there are some decent trails, using my 2 wheeled cart for getting a buck out takes the pain out of a 3 mile retrieve.
Crowds are what I really want to avoid, that’s why I hunt the Adirondack back country. Even if there was maybe 10 deer per square mile, that would seem good to me.

Originally Posted by cra1948
Have you thought about Delaware or Chenango County? Close to home, lots of public land and have always had more deer than the Adirondacks.

I would really like to get out of state, and save my New York tag for the Adirondacks.

IC B3

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
If all your after is a 110" buck your possiblities are endless as just about any large tract of public land where Whitetails live should have what you seek...And you certainly should not have to travel 12 hours for a 110" buck.. ..Good luck....Hb

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I been hunting the southern unit of Wayne in Ohio every year for 30 years. I wouldn't call it mountains but its pretty steep in there. There are pretty good roads in there that give you access. You can walk in about as far as you want to drag out. Im set up now to cut up a deer and carry out instead of drag if I choose. But when I do cut up one in the woods I would be the first guy I every seen do so there. Traditionally they field dress and drag out.
Back in the 90s and early 2000s there was a lot of guys hunting there so the deer got pushed real good. We killed a lot of deer every trip. Normally in three days I shot my limit of three deer. These days there are very few hunters so the deer arent getting pushed , so fewer are shot.
Shawnee is rough country by Eastern standards. Im a little old for that action.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
M
miguel Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I been hunting the southern unit of Wayne in Ohio every year for 30 years. I wouldn't call it mountains but its pretty steep in there. There are pretty good roads in there that give you access. You can walk in about as far as you want to drag out. Im set up now to cut up a deer and carry out instead of drag if I choose. But when I do cut up one in the woods I would be the first guy I every seen do so there. Traditionally they field dress and drag out.
Back in the 90s and early 2000s there was a lot of guys hunting there so the deer got pushed real good. We killed a lot of deer every trip. Normally in three days I shot my limit of three deer. These days there are very few hunters so the deer arent getting pushed , so fewer are shot.

Everything I hear about Shawnee says just that, apparently it’s very rough. Steep? Brushy or thick mountain laurel? Rocky? No access?
In either the Shawnee or the Wayne, roughly, what would you say the deer densities look like? 20 deer per square mile? 30?
Is the terrain conducive to still hunting, or at least moving around to four or five watches in a days hunting?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by miguel
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

Everything I hear about Shawnee says just that, apparently it’s very rough. Steep? Brushy or thick mountain laurel? Rocky? No access?
In either the Shawnee or the Wayne, roughly, what would you say the deer densities look like? 20 deer per square mile? 30?
Is the terrain conducive to still hunting, or at least moving around to four or five watches in a days hunting?

Honestly I couldnt tell you those numbers. My saying in Wayne has always been. Whoever moves first loses….. I always felt the guys that couldn't sit still killed fewer deer. Walking is very noisy , even still hunting. Especially if the leaves are dry. Lots of sticks under the leaves and also a lot of greenbriers that grab your feet and then move the leaves and make noise. Even a squirrel sounds like a steer coming over the ridge at you. I do the best hunting saddles and at the end of bowls.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Pennsylvania has some odd rules about bucks...gotta have three on a side and non res people are pretty much not getting doe tags so you aren't going to fill your freezer that way either.

I have settled on WV as my state of choice. Can shoot a few does and the non res license and tags are cheap and no weird rules about antlers.

as a Pa resident thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard. non residents get all the doe tags they want. all you have to do is apply for them

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by mjbgalt

as a Pa resident thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard. non residents get all the doe tags they want. all you have to do is apply for them

How do you know that it is easy for non resident hunters to get doe tags?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by miguel
I’m looking at getting out of New York this hunting season to see how green the grass is in other states. Although I dearly love hunting the Adirondacks, it gets to you after a while. The deer numbers are very low, and even if you do everything right, unfilled tags are still a real possibility.
I would like to keep the trip to a 12 hour drive maximum from Northern NewYork. Two states that seem to have a lot to offer are Ohio and Kentucky. I love hunting mountains, and even though deer numbers are usually lower in mountainous terrain, I believe that the densities should be considerably higher than the Adirondacks.
The Daniel Boone National forest in Kentucky looks real promising, but it’s so big I don’t know where to begin.
The Wayne National Forest in Ohio, and the Shawnee State Park in Ohio both also look good.
Any of you guys ever hunted any of these areas, I would love some guidance. Also, if there’s any areas that you know of let’s hear it.
I’m not looking for a monster necessarily. Seeing lots of deer would be a nice change. And truthfully, a buck over 110” would be great for me.

Miguel, check your PM box

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
As a nonresident I can get one regular doe tag without a problem, but the rest are usually sold out before they open up for nonres second round

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The PA doe tag is a 2 layered process..

There are DMAP tags... permits (for doe only)allocated to specific properties. Some are private landowners, some are timber companies who allow hunting, some are National Forest. The NF units hold the most permits and are first come first serve when licenses go on sale. All hunters Res and Non res have the same opportunity to buy. Some NF properties have as many as 600-1000 permits.

Antlerless tags are a different story. Some WMU'S sell out before non res get a chance to apply some have a handful left over for the non res portion of the drawing.

I am not aware of a publication the PGC puts out that tells how many non residents hunters get doe tags. I'm sure there are plenty but it's no guarantee.

Hunt...
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Greatlaker
As a nonresident I can get one regular doe tag without a problem, but the rest are usually sold out before they open up for nonres second round

Not only do they sell out in five minutes, they also make it impossible to get done because you have to send a check in the mail to the department of whatever, in a tiny little county office, and those are broken into a million details and areas. The instructions make it sound so complicated and annoying that once I noticed how fast they sell, the 100 trick moves are unnecessary.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 02/22/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 39 invisible), 1,900 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,125
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.