Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I posted pictures on Marlin Talk because I wasn't sure what to think about this one. It is early (1976) and I feel the checkering is factory but not everyone agrees. You can read the comments and then you have the same information that I have on it. It is what it is I guess. This is a "pre micro groove" gun obviously. I can post more pictures if needed. If you want it, post on here and follow up with a PM. This will ship from a private party to your FFL so please make sure they will accept it this way. Payment can be made by check of any kind. $1300 shipped and insured in the lower 48 where legal.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16949773/1/strange-1895-45-70

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by 160user; 02/20/22.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Free bump for a nice Marlin from a good seller

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Very nice Marlin, GLWS!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That's awesome.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
There is no reason this should still be here.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Man, if it wasn't tax time! Good price and a good seller! Somebody but this before I eat Ramen for the next month. I have a 1976 Ruger No. 3 in 45-70 that this would just look so nice next to.

Last edited by Remhunter; 02/22/22.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Hold my beer, and watch this………..

Gentleman, you are admiring a premium example of the quality Marlin produced. This Bicentennial year model rifle (1976) is wrapped in fine gorgeous American Black Walnut, no longer used. Deep dark Fiddle Back grain patterns, running straight through the wrist for excellent strength, bring the beauty of this rifle to one’s eyes.

The tight fit of the wood to metal, as one passes their fingers across the surface will bring that gradual smile onto your face, knowing you are holding true American craftsmanship in your hands.

The butter slick action will simply make you shake your head, knowing you are holding what once was, and not being made presently, except for when purchasing a high dollar custom rifle.

With the Ballard rifling in the barrel and the versatility of the 45-70 cartridge, you will never be unprepared for what you intend to hunt with this masterpiece.

Gorgeous deep blued steel. Gorgeous deep American Black Walnut.

This “is” that gun you need, so you can pass an American icon to your son / grandson to remember you when they go afield and hold this fine American beauty, and remember your times together.

This “is” that rifle you need when you open your safe, as it shines in the front row, and brings that smile to your face, knowing you have a collector piece in “your” safe.

This rifle can be yours, and stand in “your” front row of your safe just by simply posting “I’ll Take It”

This is a rare chance to own one in this condition, and at a very reasonable asking price.

Take this sale off the table, and bring it home to yourself, before you regret not jumping onto this deal.

Stop slobbering on your keyboard, and start the transaction, now……………..Type “I’ll Take It”……and it’s yours…..to be passed down to your grandson.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This is making it difficult to resist getting back into the 45-70 game! GLWYS!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
Hold my beer, and watch this………..

Gentleman, you are admiring a premium example of the quality Marlin produced. This Bicentennial year model rifle (1976) is wrapped in fine gorgeous American Black Walnut, no longer used. Deep dark Fiddle Back grain patterns, running straight through the wrist for excellent strength, bring the beauty of this rifle to one’s eyes.

The tight fit of the wood to metal, as one passes their fingers across the surface will bring that gradual smile onto your face, knowing you are holding true American craftsmanship in your hands.

The butter slick action will simply make you shake your head, knowing you are holding what once was, and not being made presently, except for when purchasing a high dollar custom rifle.

With the Ballard rifling in the barrel and the versatility of the 45-70 cartridge, you will never be unprepared for what you intend to hunt with this masterpiece.

Gorgeous deep blued steel. Gorgeous deep American Black Walnut.

This “is” that gun you need, so you can pass an American icon to your son / grandson to remember you when they go afield and hold this fine American beauty, and remember your times together.

This “is” that rifle you need when you open your safe, as it shines in the front row, and brings that smile to your face, knowing you have a collector piece in “your” safe.

This rifle can be yours, and stand in “your” front row of your safe just by simply posting “I’ll Take It”

This is a rare chance to own one in this condition, and at a very reasonable asking price.

Take this sale off the table, and bring it home to yourself, before you regret not jumping onto this deal.

Stop slobbering on your keyboard, and start the transaction, now……………..Type “I’ll Take It”……and it’s yours…..to be passed down to your grandson.

Dang! Gonna need a commission when it does sell…

160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am wondering if Elkslayer sells used cars. That is quite the write up! After reading that I am falling in love with it all over again.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Trust me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if it were mine and my next meal didn't depend on it, I wouldn't even consider selling it. The seller is as honest as the day is long.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If I hadn't just bought two Marlins Monday this would be heading my way. Tempting anyway as it's another birth year Marlin. Would look great next to my '76 .35 and '76 44.

Bump for a great looking rifle.

G
G
Originally Posted by 160user
I posted pictures on Marlin Talk because I wasn't sure what to think about this one. It is early (1976) and I feel the checkering is factory but not everyone agrees. This is a "pre micro groove" gun obviously.

To be clear, and consistent with everyone that commented on the checkering in the Marlin forum, it is not factory, and neither are the studs. Also, maybe you meant it is a pre-safety, because that would be obvious, but a 1976 gun would be a Microgroove barrel. Marlin used Ballard rifling in 1972 for some guns, then went to Microgroove, and didn’t go back to Ballard in the 1895 until the cast bullet/cowboy action craze started in the 1990s.

A man's got to know his limitations.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
For comparison, this is my 72, no checkering.

Attached Images
45-70.jpg (51.16 KB, 275 downloads)

Better to throw pearls before swine then pour good coffee into the cups of the indifferent.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bumb for a beautiful rifle and an upstanding guy to deal with.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
The first year 1972 model had 8 groove rifling, and they switched it to 12 groove the following year. The article below claims they kept the width & depth of the rifling the same, which I don't see how that can be when adding 4 more. Also, I've run across literature that states the first rifles made in 1972 had Douglas barrels. There was a thread on marlinowners where people were posting their serial numbers that had the early Douglas barrels with Ballard rifling, and those numbers reach up to about the half way point in 1972 manufacturing dates.

In 1972, Marlin introduced the Model 1895 chambered in .45-70. Initially, these rifles were made with 8-groove Microgroove barrels, with grooves that were .060" wide and .003" deep. The next year this was changed to a 12-groove barrel, with the other specs remaining the same. Again, groove diameter is spec-ed out at .4587", so oversized cast bullets are called for in these guns. All of these .45-70 Microgroove barrels had a 1 in 20-" twist.
https://leverguns.com/articles/fryxell/microgrove-barrels.htm

Now, back to the "Medicinal" value this rifle would bring to you to calm your nerves when needed after a bad day. After you purchase this rifle, it will be within arms reach anytime you care to open your safe, and take this rifle with you to sit quietly in your recliner, and caress and admire its beauty.

By you stating "I'll Take It", you'll be on your way to never regretting this beautiful rifle escaping from your reach. We've all been there, "the one we let get away that was in beautiful condition", and each time it happens, you say, "Never again".

If you don't purchase this rifle right now, this will just be another, "If I had only said to hell with it, I want it" story to moan about. Don't become a moaner, become a buyer, right now. Type "I'll take It".

A gun collection just isn't a gun collection without an early Marlin 1895 45-70 standing in the front row of the safe, right next to that Shiloh Sharps, when you open the door.

Its Medicinal value will prolong your life, and soothe your nerves after a bad day.

Get this rifle before it gets gone.

P.S. I'm no Used Car salesman. They have to pay for ad copy at this level. They don't have this talent.

"He is far from Stupid"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is a beauty for sure.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When did marlin stamp the barrels “ micro groove?”

When did that style of but plate be manufactured?

I think it’s a wonderful 45/70

GLWTS

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/23/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Angus1895
When did marlin stamp the barrels “ micro groove?”

When did that style of but plate be manufactured?

I think it’s a wonderful 45/70

GLWTS

https://leverguns.com/articles/fryxell/microgrove-barrels.htm

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/a-look-back-at-the-marlin-model-1895/

Last edited by ElkSlayer91; 02/23/22.

"He is far from Stupid"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

That butt plate is a throwback to the original 1895 Marlins in 1895

Last edited by Mossyoak1957; 02/23/22.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 35, 338Rules, 358WCF, 58 invisible), 2,836 guests, and 1,403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,684
Posts18,534,422
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.