Print Thread
Hop To
R
Rem260 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I am leaving in two weeks for a caribou hunt in Newfoundland. The flight itenerary goes into Toronto then changing planes to Deer Lake, NF.

At what point in the trip do I complete the Customs paperwork for entry with a weapon? Will luggage be off loaded in Toronto and processed there or is this done at the final destinantion?

Thanks for any info.

GB1

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I just returned from a hunt in the Yukon. My firearm paperwork was presented in Vancouver when I arrived. I picked up my luggage and proceeded to the cash register. They did not even look at the gun. I just paid the money, signed the form and proceeded to Domestic checkin.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
PS you will need to identify that you are bring a firearm on the Canada customs form that you fill out on the plane. So they know when they check your passport that you have a firearm.

R
Rem260 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks for the reply. I have the Canadian forms completed so it looks as if I must collect baggage in Toronto, clear customs, then recheck everything for the second leg.

At least I'll be able to see if everything made it to Toronto on time!

R
Rem260 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks for the reply. I have the Canadian forms completed so it looks as if I must collect baggage in Toronto, clear customs, then recheck everything for the second leg.

At least I'll be able to see if everything made it to Toronto on time!

IC B2

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
One more thing to cause grief. If my bags did not arrive in Vancouver, then I intended to stay in Vancouver until they arrived even if I missed my connecting flight. I do not see how your gun can clear customs without you being present and I worried that I would be way out in the field with no way to retrieve my stuff. No gun, no boots, no coats would really take away from an expensive hunt. I was prepared to pay for a special bush flight if necessary.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You didn't ask about the US side but just in case: be sure to fill out the US form in the US BEFORE YOU ENTER CANADA that proves you had the rifle(s) with you when you left the US. That allows you to bring them back into the US. I've always gotten mine at the US side of border crossings, where the officer normally checks serial number. Don't know where to get them if you fly in, but it is crucial to have it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of the Canadian guys can answer this but isn't
Air Canada now charging extra for taking firfearms on board
seems I remember reading about that on this form a while back.
Speak up guys yea or nea. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I got the Custom Form from my local customs office at the airport. I took my gun, binocs, spotter to the office and they verified the numbers and signed the form. When I returned through Vancouver, the passport guy just looked at it and said you only need it if we question your previous ownership and gave it back to me. He did not even look at it.

Your airline computer travel records will reflect a rifle as will your Canadian Firearms License, if you cannot get the Customs form beforehand. I have never used one before this last trip and only had one problem coming back from Africa and customs looked it up on the computer and on my way I went.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Last I heard, Air Canada was charging $50.00 extra for fire arms. Was a big stink raised but I don't recall the outcome. I would take West Jet if I was flying any where.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
fly Westjet. AC charges $50 for EVERY flight, so a min. $100 to get here and back. Curse them!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You will generally find the Canadian Customs folks much better trained than on the US side. They know what they are doing.......

Good Hunting,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
R
Rem260 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks guys for the good information.

If succesful on the trip, I'll share the results with pics.

N
N
I just returned from BC and had no problems on either side in or out. What a relief. I guess bad news travels farther than good, I was very worried.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 56 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,331
Posts18,487,575
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.