Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Cameralandny sent me this scope for a review, it is my first real review of a scope and it will be strictly from a hunters point of view.

I set it up on an AR to start with as that is the mount it came with, it is attached to the rail with a four screw clamp and seems to be on par with my SWFA and Burris mounts. For an entry priced scope, the glass is very nice. I took the rifle to a javelina hunt in northern AZ and passed it around the camp, everyone was surprised at the clarity of the scope running it back and forth through the power range, in the past a lot of low power variables have had some fisheye on the lower powers, but it was clear to the edges. The javelina were uncooperative and down in numbers out of all the hunters no javelina were sighted, a lot of hours and shoe leather were put into the hunt. I'm back home and will be taking it out coyote hunting.

Sighting it in was a piece of cake, all adjustments were spot on moving the POI exactly where the adjustments were turned to.

My only complaint so far is the reticle. It is a circle dot with elevation hash marks under the circle and below them a heavy vertical bar and the heavy bar tends to draw my eye to the top of it instead of the circle dot but I spend a lot of time behind German #1's and 4's so I'm used to horizontal bars. I would love this reticle with a pointed horizontal bar on either side of the circle dot to focus attention on the circle dot yet leaving enough room for a clear view and tracking moving animals. The illumination is great on low doesn't overpower at night and on high quite useable on overcast days. Here in the desert SW the black reticle works great during the day.

I'm looking forward to getting it on game and see if more time on game will erase some of my concerns about the reticle. I also want to get it on a combo gun and see how it works on one with having both 5.6x52R and 12ga recoil but eye relief seem more than adequate for that.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...0138-9425-00163ecd2826?variation=2223286

Last edited by erich; 02/23/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Reticles and knobs are major fails for scopes these days.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How is the parallax? Do you see any apparent reticle movement when you move your eye around?

Politics is War by Other Means
erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The knobs are nice and low yet are locking. I did mess around with parallax by moving my head around while it was on the bags at the range and didn't notice any movement.

Make mine a Minaska

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by erich
The javelina were uncooperative and down in numbers out of all the hunters no javelina were sighted, a lot of hours and shoe leather were put into the hunt. I'm back home and will be taking it out coyote hunting.

We saw no javelina at all down south either. Lots of hiking and glassing. Saw deer, a coyote, quail and dove, but no javelina or fresh sign.

Last edited by plumbum; 02/23/22.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Would this scope be suitable on a home defense AR that might also be used for coyotes? Right now, I'm using a 1-4 with no illumination. How easy is it to turn on the illumination? Does it turn on to a preset level or have to be stepped up?

Thanks. Good review.

erich Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
As far as coyotes, it's going out in the morning tomorrow, we're experiencing high winds and dust storms down here yesterday and high winds predicted today. I was shooting it to 200 yards when sighting in and worked well.

The illumination is two colors, red and green. The dial/knob has fives levels of each on it, turn it one way and the lowest level of that color comes on and graduates to the highest level, turn it the other way and the highest level of that color comes on and graduates to the lowest. It has off on both sides of the dial so you can decide which colors you want to come on bright first.

I'm not a home defense guru, but I'd have no problem killing a coyote from my shoelaces to a few hundred yards with it.

As far as javelina in AZ, I should have stayed home and protected my cactus garden from them, they destroyed my prickly pear patch, eating most of the paddles and digging the roots out of the ground. At least prickly pear is easy to propagate.

Last edited by erich; 02/24/22.

Make mine a Minaska

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Thank you.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.