-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think in general people prioritize concealability way too highly and shootability too lowly. Comfort is a little stickier wicket, but after you find the right shootable gun you should be able to come up with a comfortable enough way to carry it.

GB1

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If I am tasked to defend my life or my family's life, I want the pistol I shoot the best, not the one that carries the easiest.

Last edited by TWR; 02/22/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pullit
I went the small route once upon a time. I have switched my thinking and now carry as big as I can conceal. Reason being at some point you may have to do more than carry it, you may have to use it. I would rather fight with a bigger gun than a really small one.

You can pistol whip with a polymer gun?

😂😂

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Go to a gun store and handle a couple.

I like the p365 series.

Have em all. P365. P365x and p365xl.

IMO the p365x is the sweet spot. Shorter slide and longer grip.

I put a xl grip on my p365 before the x’s came out.

Plus there the a lot of Pinky extensions for the different p365 mags. Even a +2 from magguts.

Keep hoping kahr will come out with something new.

I like the cw9. But not the 7 or 8 rd mags.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't get hung up on semantics. About the time you figure it out, next year's models will be out and the ad terminology will have changed again. Just find something that works for your circumstances a d stick with it.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Wish someone would come up with more capacity Glock 43 mags that are somewhat staggered.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Wish someone would come up with more capacity Glock 43 mags that are somewhat staggered.

That's why I went 43X and 15-round Shield Arms magazines that fit flush to the grip.

Everything is a compromise, but I'm satisfied with the route I chose.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
the size I settled on was a Glock 48 and a S&W Shield Plus.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by RufusG
I think in general people prioritize concealability way too highly and shootability too lowly. Comfort is a little stickier wicket, but after you find the right shootable gun you should be able to come up with a comfortable enough way to carry it.

This^^^x100. It is all about commitment. If you are carrying to save your life and are not willing to train religiously you are fooling yourself. Learning to shoot accurately takes training and practice as does shooting quickly, learning target discrimination and becoming safe and consistent in gun handling. This is a process made easier utilizing a gun purpose built to be reliable and win gunfights. Small and light is a priority only to those those that seek a comfort animal more than a fighting tool.

Competence comes only via training and practice. Always wear your gun, practice frequently and embrace dryfire like it was free money.

ymmv

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie
What you shoot well, that is small enough that you'll actually carry it.

It's the golden age of CCW selection. Small Glocks, Shield+, Hellcat, P365.

If those are to small, try G19, M&P compact sized.

This................many small guns are neither easy to shoot accurately, or they are just too uncomfortable to shoot to be comfortable with if needed.

I can conceal just about anything, so shoot-ability is my prime consideration with size in either 9mm or 45 ACP.

As mentioned above by Goalie, a G-19 or a S&W M&P Compact is about ideal.

YMMV

MM

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My personal daily carry guns are service sized, anything from a K-frame S&W revolver, a Combat Commander, a Glock 19, etc., but I've been carrying concealed since I was 19 years old. It's old hat for me. I think a great place for someone to start for the first time carrying concealed would be something in the class of an M&P Shield Plus with the 13 round mag inserted. We're not talking a Ruger LCP here. It shoots pretty similarly to a full sized service handgun, and doesn't give up very much to one, either, in terms of capabilities.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
This is his first centerfire pistol. Not just the first concealed carry option. I think we all could agree it’s easier to shoot a full size or at least the G19 sized gun better than subs. He needs to shoot a lot.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Glock 19, best all around pistol, period.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
while i agree with THE great waputi i carry a glock 48 daily due to the slim line single stack design, my G19 is my go to hell gun if that day ever happens

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by kunas
while i agree with THE great waputi i carry a glock 48 daily due to the slim line single stack design, my G19 is my go to hell gun if that day ever happens

Couple the 48 with a Shield Arms 15 round mag and you are ready to go.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by kunas

Where do you sign up for the notifications so I can get on the list? I’d love to know when “go to hell day” is gonna be so I can make plans.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Back when I was selling guns, the biggest headache I had was people who wanted the smallest gun possible but then wanted to add pinkie extensions, etc., onto it to make it easier to shoot. I always asked them why not buy a bigger gun but they had it in their head that a small gun with an extension was smaller than a bigger gun without one, even though it wasn't.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TWR
This is his first centerfire pistol. Not just the first concealed carry option. I think we all could agree it’s easier to shoot a full size or at least the G19 sized gun better than subs. He needs to shoot a lot.

Those who have some experience know you are right. Those who don't keep advocating man-boy guns with extended magazines. Interesting mix on this forum.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
First time concealed carriers are rarely pleased with service sized handguns, and tend to give up carrying them pretty fast. There's a happy medium, however, between one of those, and a pipsqueak gun, and nowadays these happy medium guns don't give very much up at all to the service sized guns in terms of handling and performance. I'm speaking of the class of handgun represented by such models as the S&W Shield Plus, the Sig P-365, the Springfield Armory Hellcat, etc..

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Back when I was selling guns, the biggest headache I had was people who wanted the smallest gun possible but then wanted to add pinkie extensions, etc., onto it to make it easier to shoot. I always asked them why not buy a bigger gun but they had it in their head that a small gun with an extension was smaller than a bigger gun without one, even though it wasn't.

I find that strange too. My guess is that there are a lot of new pistol owners that love to pretend but don't actually shoot much and they carry even less. I understand the lack of shooting as until recently ammo was impossible to find. As far as carrying, it would be interesting to track the number of CHL applications in non-constitutional carry states and see if they followed the NICS check surge.

Here in SW Idaho I see mostly new shooters at the range I frequent. All 9mm. Most shoot half a box and leave, but that may change as 9mm ammo has been flooding in lately with prices dipping below $20/50. BTW, most of the pistols look pretty small. Only geezers shoot 1911s and revolvers of any kind.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 64 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.