Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Remington Model 34 7/8" with 14 shots firing Stingers looking through a Tasco 6-24X. The velocity was 1,400 feet per second.

Ran out of ammo so went to town and bought three different lot numbers. Velocity was 1,600 feet per second. Groups opened up to a foot.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
When I shot NRA smallbore outdoor prone years ago a rifle needed to be sub moa to be competitive. My rifles were (2) 37 Remingtons and Eley Tenex with Irons and 15x Unertl's At 50 yards I shot Eley Target Rifle or Federal match, forget the number but it was the grade below the dimpled base ammo which I think was 811b. 100 yard targets were 1" x ring, 2" 10 ring and 200 yard targets were 2" x and 4" 10

Last edited by blanket; 02/26/22.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I for years hoarded a couple of boxes of that Federal match ammunition with the hole in the base. I may still have 10 rounds somewhere.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to believe that you can’t find a place to shoot at 100 yards.

[Linked Image from ]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I got bored with 50 yards and stated shooting farther several years ago. I have 3 rifles that I've shot with out to 250 yards. Not every time, I don't even try past 100 when there is any wind. But 1" 100 yard groups are pretty common. Two inch groups at 200 are less common, but it happens. With my rifles and optics 250 yards is where I run out of scope adjustment. I shoot at a 4" steel plate and get more hits than misses at 250.

My Tikka T1x is the most accurate, but I have one Ruger 10/22 with an aftermarket bull barrel that comes close. It has the factory trigger, but a smith worked on it. I also have a 10/22 LVT. They only made those guns briefly, but it is basically a light varmint contour 20" target barrel. I put a Ruger BX trigger in it.

I shoot CCI Mini Mags. I can do slightly better at 50 yards with slower match ammo. But the faster CCI's make a difference at longer ranges. I used the trial-and-error method to figure out scope adjustments for longer ranges. I suppose I could do the same with match ammo, but I've been pleased with what I've been getting

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can, but choose not to bother most days. As implied earlier 100 yards is somewhat irrelevant these days.

One of the things that cooled my desire for longer range is that the local range does little to segregate shooters. AR shooter out the kazoo, no knowledge of how to shoot, or manners for that matter. Grew weary of their blasts via the flash suppressors blowing my paper/brass and whatnot off the bench. Now and then I have retaliated with a big bore boom and they go find a new bench. More trouble than it's worth.

The target referenced earlier:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Back when I was a punk I did this with my 10/22 at 100.

Same rig at 50

And last, but not least, some of my .22 GTC handloads from the Contender.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a sweet annie 64 action with sporter barrel. Mod 1416. My fav rifle. I can put reg decent ammo close to an inch at 100. no wind of course. wind is the killer for 22lr but not so much down range as close to you.

I usually shoot the aussie rabbit rounds win-x power point ( hp). I just bought 3500 rds of cci mini mag and they dont work in my rifle. The rim is fatter and rounder and extractor grabs on chambering and makes bolt closing hard. Sold the rounds and located more win.

I can hit ground squirrels non stop at 100. Thats all I care about. Dont try to make my field gun/action like it is a target one. Speaking of squirrels spring is coming!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A breath of wind changes the score.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Hard to believe that you can’t find a place to shoot at 100 yards.

Illustration of why I don't worry about long range stuff. Though I don't think precision at 200 with a .22 LR is out of the question, I don't live in Wyoming.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's hard to imagine any .22lr shooting better than 2moa in significant variable winds.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Try some different kinds! LOL

Lol

No eley, sk, or lapua?

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 02/26/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I feel for you guys. Here's our permanent 800 yard steel setup with options to 2k.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ltppowell
It's hard to imagine any .22lr shooting better than 2moa in significant variable winds.

It's possible but only with plenty of wind flags out and the knowledge and experience to read them and make the proper hold-offs. Just holding center and hoping is just a matter of luck. Rare is the day when one can consistently hold center and center punch the target without wind flags, top rate equipment, ammo and plenty of experience.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cooper57m

It's possible but only with plenty of wind flags out and the knowledge and experience to read them and make the proper hold-offs. Just holding center and hoping is just a matter of luck. Rare is the day when one can consistently hold center and center punch the target without wind flags, top rate equipment, ammo and plenty of experience.

That doesn't count. A person's skill and a rifles accuracy are completely different subjects.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by cooper57m

That doesn't count. A person's skill and a rifles accuracy are completely different subjects.

Precisely why, with my recent foray into precision rimfire fun, I am still shooting at 50 yards. Still working on my faults.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve never had a really accurate 22 rimfire rifle. So I decided to get one. I had a couple of friends advise me to simply get a Ruger 10/22 and change out all the components. Barrel, stock, trigger group, put a good scope on it etc.

So I got one and put a Kidd 16” Stainless Bull barrel on it, Kidd trigger group, dropped it into a Boyds At One stock. It has an adjustable comb and butt plate, put a 30 MOA rail and mounted a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 with a TMR reticle.

A friend had just about every type of target ammo available and enough to sell me. I tried seven different boxes of ammo and came up with a new one that works best.

My friend has a Vudoo Rifle with great scope. I’ve shot it with his chosen ammo and it shoots really good. My set up shoots just as good. Enough travel to shoot 400 yard targets

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

10 shots at 50 yards

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My most accurate rifle is a Winchester Mdl 52 that I bought in a pawn shop many decades ago for almost nothing. I had the receiver sight removed and the barrel bobbed to 22"(I think it was 26"). The receiver was grooved for scope mounts.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My five shot groups at 50 yards with a recently acquired Sako P72. Still work to be done. Short of the top three groups the rest were shot with SK.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm gonna bring mine this week. Joel and Bobby like to shoot stuff on the sly sometime.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by SCRooster
22LR rifles are hit or miss when it comes to 100 meter accuracy. I've got a few 10/22s that are pie plate accurate at best at 100 meters, no matter what ammo I feed them. But I've got an old 1950s era 39a that is MOA at 100 yards using just about any ammo I feed her. I love that rifle. Squirrels run for cover when they see me coming with that Marlin.

22s are a lot of fun.

There are a lot of old 39a rifles that can do that. Wish I had one.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1800topsoil, 160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 65 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,686
Posts18,494,041
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.