Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So my dad text's me the name of an elk outfitter today just out of the blue and says I should look into it. This was a huge surprise to me as he has never sent a text in his life until today lol. I then had to call him to find out what this was all about and long story short.......he wants to do a father son elk hunt this year. So that's pretty awesome but unfortunately the name he sent me said they were all booked for this year so now I am actively searching for a guide or outfitter. I have 3 calls in to some people in Colorado but so far no call backs, anyhow if you guys know anybody who could meet the criteria (see below) please let me know. I am busy searching the interwebs but seriously if you know someone who may have a couple openings for this year let me know.

We are looking for something with lodging preferably but it can be a bed in a back room somewhere, no need for a fancy lodge with 5 star dining.....will also look into just using my camper or even a drop camp and cooking our own food but this is his trip and he kinda wants a building with food to stay in.

Dad is a cancer survivor who is finishing up bi-weekly chemo treatments and he is also 75 so having him trek 5 miles a day is just out of the question, he can walk in short bursts so having a stand for him to sit in would be preferable.

Chemo has made him very adverse to cold weather.....we hunt West Virginia yearly from November to December so its not that he cant take some cold I just cant have him sitting out in it for days on end, so Im thinking September/October.

He needs rifle, he cant draw a bow anymore but I still can so I would honestly prefer bow but again, this is his trip so I don't mind shooting rifle at all.

Price, we cant afford $7000 for an elk hunt..........thinking more like $3000 (I got 2 kids in catholic HS so those who also do this understand my predicament) and honestly he was sure to let me know that he is not too interested in horns.......(cant eat em) and wants to just hunt and shoot an elk.......male/female.........don't matter.

Location? Where ever the elk are....and where ever there is room for us to hunt......I have 2 buddies who are also interested in this so with 4 people we may get a better deal.

Anywho.........if you have any ideas for location.........guides...........outfitters.........I know I am short on time so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a million

Soulfly

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you checked into the “Draw” hunt for elk in Va. this year.
It’s the Virginia Dept. of wildlife site.

Maybe an option.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Have you checked into the “Draw” hunt for elk in Va. this year.
It’s the Virginia Dept. of wildlife site.

Maybe an option.

I hunted bear in Va last year so I have the app on my phone and I did enter but I would prefer OTC......but if I did get drawn I would for sure see if I could transfer it to Dad.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're wanting the hemi and the good gas mileage...with A/C to boot. There's nothing wrong with that especially in your situation, but it is also the most desired set of circumstances out there...good, cheap and quick. As such, the most difficult to find if not impossible.

Good luck finding something that meets your criteria. Anything remotely like that is normally snatched up quickly. I am assuming you'll have to hunt private land for this kind of thing, so I have no suggestions.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sorry but $3000 for an elk hunt probably is not going to happen.
Call all the references if you find one for that price.

IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Call the Chamber of Commerce in Craig and Meeker, CO. They may be able to give you some leads on a local ranch hunt during early rifle seasons. Good luck!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My father and I have hunted elk many times He is now 84, and has slowed down in a huge way. If he called me and said he wanted to hunt elk again. I would refinance my house to make it happen, or take a 2nd or 3rd job. We have always done the diy route, and no way he could handle that now. I would spare no expense to make sure he had a good time. But that is just me. And I’m sure a hunt like that would be 12-15 k.

Don't gobble at me
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You can do a cow hunt for that kind of money or even a little less. Call some hunting consultants

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You can do a cow hunt for $3,000 but I’d be leery of a bull hunt for $3,000.

I have no affiliation with them, but they have a bunch of ground to hunt and have not heard anything negative. This country is pretty easy to hunt. A search in NM will turn up quit a few outfitted cow hunts.
https://www.bmohunts.com/hunt/new-mexico-rifle-cow-elk-hunts/

Last edited by SLM; 02/27/22.
Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fullfan
My father and I have hunted elk many times He is now 84, and has slowed down in a huge way. If he called me and said he wanted to hunt elk again. I would refinance my house to make it happen, or take a 2nd or 3rd job. We have always done the diy route, and no way he could handle that now. I would spare no expense to make sure he had a good time. But that is just me. And I’m sure a hunt like that would be 12-15 k.

I would love to go on a fancy fully guided hunt for a trophy bull but honestly....this could be a semi guided cow hunt.....he just wants to get out and do it.

IC B3

Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bill_N
You can do a cow hunt for that kind of money or even a little less. Call some hunting consultants

I have a call into one that I know thru a local archery shop and he has put in a call to several guides for me ...... hopefully we can find something

Thanks

Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SLM
You can do a cow hunt for $3,000 but I’d be leery of a bull hunt for $3,000.

I have no affiliation with them, but they have a bunch of ground to hunt and have not heard anything negative. This country is pretty easy to hunt. A search in NM will turn up quit a few outfitted cow hunts.
https://www.bmohunts.com/hunt/new-mexico-rifle-cow-elk-hunts/

Ill check it out thanks

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Might look into one of the Ranching for Wildlife ranches in Eastern Colorado.They sell private hunts too. Not as rugged , less snow, less elevation.Some of them have later cow hunts, but bull hunts are available too.

Kiowa Creek Ranch in Unit 104

Hill Ranch in Unit 851

The next two might be a bit more rugged
Aught Six Ranch in Unit 84
Mountain Meadows Ranch in Unit 84

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Bill_N

^^^^^^^^^*^****************^^^^^^^^^^^
This

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We may have a winner here..........spike bulls in Utah anyone?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I elk hunt either Colorado, Montana, or New Mexico every year. You are not going to find a bull hunt for 3k. I'd forget using a bow and just rifle hunt like your dad. What you can find is a cow hunt for 3k, but you need to start looking now. Most likely you will find a 2 or 3 day hunt, guided out of a pickup, on private land, with lodging and food included. Such hunts are out there. Google cow elk hunts in the states I mentioned and call em up. This year may be booked up already. Good luck.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Guy on Bowsite goes by the handle ,Forrest Bows, he does pack in drop camp. A lot of guys vouch for him. Couple threads on there if you search a bit.
Also check out Hooker Mountain Outfitters. Mostly branch antlered meat bulls.

Soulfly Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anyone familiar with Shane Scott Outfitters in Utah?

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would consider a spike bull hunt a low-percentage deal at best. More cows than spikes around most areas I’ve hunted. An older friend of mine did a cow hunt with some pals on Wagonhound ranch in Wyoming with good success several seasons ago. Might give them a ring. Good luck!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by WAM
I would consider a spike bull hunt a low-percentage deal at best. More cows than spikes around most areas I’ve hunted. An older friend of mine did a cow hunt with some pals on Wagonhound ranch in Wyoming with good success several seasons ago. Might give them a ring. Good luck!

Yep,usually about 5 times as many cows as bulls.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (16gage, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,919 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,622
Posts18,492,736
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.