Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Impressions!

The trigger pull is stiffer than hell. I laid my finger tip on it and could not even fire the gun.

I moved my finger down to the last joint, and the gun did fire, with a very hard pull.

My son shot a mag full (seven rds) of 124 gr RMR 124 gr hp over 4.3 gr Universal and stated the recoil was "unpleasant."

We then ran about fifty rounds of 115 gr Berry's RN over 4.3 gr Universal through the pistol. Michael said the recoil was noticeably reduced.

I found the second load to be not unpleasant at all. I shot the first mag full into 2 inches at 20 yds. Very acceptable accuracy for a "pocket pistol".

This gun lacks a grip safety. The grip thickness, grip length, and frame thickness are all considerably reduced from the Kimber four inch and five inch 1911s. The micro nine is reduced in all dimensions.

It is not a bad looking piece

[Linked Image from kimberamerica.com]

It was purchased as a gift for my son. But I am not turning it over to him until I send it in for a trigger job. Were I keeping it, I would put FO sights on at least, or possibly tritiums. My eyes have difficulty picking up the white dot in front in anything other than direct sunlight.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've always thought that was a good looking little gun, and if it shot well and reliably, would be a great little carry gun. My multiple bad experiences with Kimber in the past has been the only reason I haven't picked one up. Looks like once you get the trigger improved, this one will be a winner.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was excited to see someone give some info on it. It has me thinking. I actually miss my Kimber Carry.

Good looking little piece. Congrats.

Oh I forget- what is capacity in it?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I was a Kimber Master Dealer for over a decade and sold thousands. My advice if you’re sending it back would be to test various hollow points, assuming you plan on carrying HP’s for self defense, for feeding. In my experience with new Kimbers flawless feeding with HP’s was NOT common and ~60% of the Kimbers we sold were sent back to improve the feeding of carry ammo, usually by polishing the feed ramp. It frustrated the hell out of me and I made a point of letting the customer know BEFORE they purchased. I also worked out a deal with the regional sales representative for reimbursement of the shipping. I made sure that the customer understood that the potential for hiccups with HP’s was possible before they bought it and if they had an issue with feeding after they bought it I offered to ship it back for feed work “on us”. The other issue, especially with compact 1911’s in .45 was “limp wristing”. Gun guy’s that weren’t experienced gun guys saw the shiny pictures of Kimbers in their gun magazines and just had to have it despite their inability to shoot it properly. If they brought it in because they thought they had an issue I’d load up a magazine of the ammo they were using and shoot it in the back of the shop into a test fire barrel we had built. 9 times out of 10 the feeding problems that weren’t associated with hollow points were easily fixed by explaining what “limp wristing” is and how to avoid it.

While I don’t have a problem with Kimber in general and I find them to be good looking well built firearm but I would NOT choose one for my daily carry piece, at least not without a bit of work and A LOT of practice sessions. They tend to be pretty accurate because they have tight tolerances. Tight tolerances and tight fit are great for accuracy but not great for reliable function under less than ideal conditions. Dirt, dust, lint, carbon, powder, etc are antithetical to reliable function of semi-auto pistols and carry guns are susceptible to more accumulation of that stuff since they’re exposed to it more by virtue of their purpose.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aces- I hear ya. Was talking to a dealer who was at the range about seeing guys buy a new 1911, a box of HP's or something other than 230 ball, not degreasing and complaining about jams. A nearby RO came over laughing to tell about the very cold day before when he ran in to just such a guy. Said he pulled the slide back on the guys new 1911 and watched it slowly crawl back up the rail.

Been around this forum for years and years and it taught me a thing or too. Like better techniques (not limp wristing) and how to do my own bedding job etc... I like keeping a mag of snake shot in my 40cal CZ I carry while out at the lease. It has come in handy. Discovered those are hell on the feed ramp but about one minute of shining it up straightened things right out. Stuff like that, and maybe helping a comparative newbie is why I think we all put up with some of the BS we get clobbered with around here.

Last edited by kenjs1; 02/24/22.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Impressions!

The trigger pull is stiffer than hell. I laid my finger tip on it and could not even fire the gun.

I moved my finger down to the last joint, and the gun did fire, with a very hard pull.

My son shot a mag full (seven rds) of 124 gr RMR 124 gr hp over 4.3 gr Universal and stated the recoil was "unpleasant."

We then ran about fifty rounds of 115 gr Berry's RN over 4.3 gr Universal through the pistol. Michael said the recoil was noticeably reduced.

I found the second load to be not unpleasant at all. I shot the first mag full into 2 inches at 20 yds. Very acceptable accuracy for a "pocket pistol".

This gun lacks a grip safety. The grip thickness, grip length, and frame thickness are all considerably reduced from the Kimber four inch and five inch 1911s. The micro nine is reduced in all dimensions.

It is not a bad looking piece

[Linked Image from kimberamerica.com]

It was purchased as a gift for my son. But I am not turning it over to him until I send it in for a trigger job. Were I keeping it, I would put FO sights on at least, or possibly tritiums. My eyes have difficulty picking up the white dot in front in anything other than direct sunlight.
I've got a couple or so... Overall, they're excellent.. The Micros do not come with a grip safety - and some versions are only outfitted with a RH thumb safety. . I prefer an ambi-safety since I'm a LH shooter... But they function very well (so far) with many various types of 9mm ammo...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
It was only one mag, 7 rnds, of the RMR HP. They have a pretty small HP, and they fed very well. Especially considering they were the first rounds through a brand new gun.

When I take it in for trigger work, I will have the ramp polished. Thanks for the advice.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Bought a Micro 9 Raptor a while back. It was beautiful. Stainless with wood grips. Bought a nice brown leather holster and it carried very well. Shooting not so much. I really hated to say that. Even with one less full round in the magazine it rarely seated completely. This was my second go around with micro kimbers. I previously had a ultra 45 acp I just couldn't get to feed reliably. I remember shooting with my buddy who had a 400 dollar Para and his just ran everything. I know they state use this or that ammo but damn for the price paid it should just run. This is just my experience.

However I didn't give it much time. It may have warmed up after break in etc. I'm not trying to bash this in any way just my limited experience. What a gorgeous pistol though.

Last edited by MGunns; 02/24/22.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Have 2 micro 9's and I carry a custom shop ultra 45 acp. No complaints here and they all have been shot a lot. Very happy with them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MGunns
Bought a Micro 9 Raptor a while back. It was beautiful. Stainless with wood grips. Bought a nice brown leather holster and it carried very well. Shooting not so much. I really hated to say that. Even with one less full round in the magazine it rarely seated completely. This was my second go around with micro kimbers. I previously had a ultra 45 acp I just couldn't get to feed reliably. I remember shooting with my buddy who had a 400 dollar Para and his just ran everything. I know they state use this or that ammo but damn for the price paid it should just run. This is just my experience.

However I didn't give it much time. It may have warmed up after break in etc. I'm not trying to bash this in any way just my limited experience. What a gorgeous pistol though.
I've got that exact model also... Gorgeous little pistol. I haven't shot it enough yet to get it broken in fully, but so far it's not missed a beat - no failures of any kind..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

283 members (1minute, 1_deuce, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 38 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,167
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.