Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I just got a 4" blue Smith 29-2.
Smooth wood factory grips.
I'm the right side of the pistol are the words "Performance Tuned".
I'd be grateful for any information regarding this.
Thank you in advance.[Linked Image][Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Internet S&W scuttlebutt has it that:

"It was an extra cost service S&W offered just prior to their Performance Center start up, which included full action tuning with PERFORMANCE TUNED laser engraved on side plate."

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Is there anything known about the specifics of the tuning? Does it include the endurance package?

Elmer Keith
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Is there anything known about the specifics of the tuning? Does it include the endurance package?

No idea, Elmer. Was told by S&W customer service they can't answer that question, and that one would have to submit a written request to S&W Historical Foundation to get that level of precision on what the service involved.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Elmer,

It is unlikely to include an endurance package. More likely than not it is some light polish/stone work of the sear and trigger engagement surfaces, lightening of the poundage of the DA trigger pull, narrowing and smoothing of the actual trigger, and removing of the serrations if the trigger was a serrated one.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
The trigger has obviously been altered, grooves removed, rounded & polished.

The cylinder does seem to have the longer notches that was part of endurance package. Not original for a dash 2.

Look at hammer spring to see if it's been ground.

And, I don't think the grips are factory, not S&W factory anyway. Nice though.

Bet it's a sweet shooter.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith

The endurance package was a design change that was done starting with dash 3, so it's unlikely to have it.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by local_dirt

"It was an extra cost service S&W offered just prior to their Performance Center start up, which included full action tuning with PERFORMANCE TUNED laser engraved on side plate."
So it's from before the "Replace Some Cosmetic Parts Center" started?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Would like to know what "full action tuning" really means. But, since I don't own a S&W revolver with this notation on the side plate and they won't accept phone calls, I won't be chasing it down with the S&W Historical Foundation.

Last edited by local_dirt; 02/28/22.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by UPhiker

That's funny right there!!

Ken
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
you could ask over on the S&W forum but be careful how you ask it or NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rem141r
you could ask over on the S&W forum but be careful how you ask it or NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!

Lol. Yeah.

😂😂

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
D
The stocks look like Herretts Roper's. No medallions but great feel in a normal sized hand.

WFR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That’s a nice one!
I’ve had my fair share of S&W’s over the years but never saw one with that engraving.
Very cool!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
That's a prize in my book. I'd love to shoot it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I’m only speculating here… I seem to remember something from back in the early days of Magnaport, Maybe an article or two about their now offering revolver tuning besides just porting. IIRC, they didn’t start as a “full service “ operation at first, just did the porting. It’s difficult to tell, given the level of resolution in the OP pictures, but enlarging it as best I can, it looks to me like the “engraving” might very well have been done via EDM. If I had the piece in hand I would be able to say with a very high degree of accuracy. As it is, I’m basing my speculation on the appearance of the letters, the somewhat soft radii on the corners and what appears to be the lack of a sharp, well-defined edge that a cutting tool would use…more like what I would expect of an EDM’d edge without using multiple, fresh electrodes. Given that Magnaport, when they started, was pretty much just an EDM shop, it would make sense to me if that were the case. Again, just speculation based on technical experience and an old memory.

Mathew 22: 37-39

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Never seen or heard of one before this thread. I like the smooth trigger. Looks like a real gem in the pics. With some good leather that's a real packer for street or trail.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cra1948
I’m only speculating here… I seem to remember something from back in the early days of Magnaport, Maybe an article or two about their now offering revolver tuning besides just porting. IIRC, they didn’t start as a “full service “ operation at first, just did the porting. It’s difficult to tell, given the level of resolution in the OP pictures, but enlarging it as best I can, it looks to me like the “engraving” might very well have been done via EDM. If I had the piece in hand I would be able to say with a very high degree of accuracy. As it is, I’m basing my speculation on the appearance of the letters, the somewhat soft radii on the corners and what appears to be the lack of a sharp, well-defined edge that a cutting tool would use…more like what I would expect of an EDM’d edge without using multiple, fresh electrodes. Given that Magnaport, when they started, was pretty much just an EDM shop, it would make sense to me if that were the case. Again, just speculation based on technical experience and an old memory.

cra1948, I had enough interest in this yesterday to call Magnaport. They assured me that this "PERFORMANCE TUNED" package was not their work. Who knows.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
My go to smith reference, 80 year old lifelong collector. Probably has more smith's than anyone on the east coast got back to me.
Thank you guys for the interesting information and speculation.
The pistol was a Lew Horton acquisition. They were bought from smith and Horton had them tuned and marked. Grips were added by Horton and are origanal to the new purchase.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (12344mag, 222ND, 270wsmnutt, 44mc, 160user, 1936M71, 23 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,646
Posts18,533,755
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.