Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D_Dial Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well I’ve recently acquired the want of a semi auto 22lr pistol.
Long story short I’ve researched Ruger mark series, buck marks and the victory. Pretty much have decided on a Ruger! Bad time to be wanting anything being it seems like limited stock in most places.

Anyway…. Point of my blabbing. I have found local, a used mark 2 and a used mark 4 22/45 lite. Nice fellow has both and is asking same price for either one. Hmmm, which to get? I have read all the horror stories on the field stripping of anything prior to a mark 4. May be a pain but heck it can be done huh?
Going tomorrow evening to look at them both.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does the Mark 2 have a bull barrel or the standard barrel ?

My guess is that most of us would likely shoot the Mark 2 a wee bit more accurately due to the weight of the gun.

I took a Ruger 22/45 and put a Tactical Solutions super lite weight barrel on it to make a very light carry pistol in .22lr. It is at 17oz so that part was a success but it is so light for it's size that my ability to hold steady sight pictures is not so hot. I have another Mark 2 in a 6.75 bull barrel competition model that is super accurate for me. I think the weight between my two shooters is telling.

My suggestion.....if you want a light carry shooter get the 22/45 lite. If you are after more finite accuracy, get the Mark2, hopefully with a bull barrel. Good luck

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
ruger 22/45 mark 4 lite: newer, lighter, easier.

D_Dial Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
This Mark 2 has the skinny tapered barrel. 22/45 lite has the threaded barrel which is cool

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have examples of all 4 of the Ruger. Get the 22/45. Down the road if you come across other uppers and aftermarket parts you can swap them as your mood fits. Ruger mk4 pistol owners tend to do this.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’d buy whichever fits your hand and holds the best. Older Rugers are indeed a PITA to take down, so I only did a few times just “for fun”. The rest of the time mine got snaked or carefully cleaned with a rod and the gunk hosed out with spray cleaner.

The Lite probably is d&t for a red dot, which is a great idea.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Why not both....? lol

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like my MK II's, but they never get shot while my MK IV 22/45 LITE and Volquartsen Black Mamba ( Ruger MK IV frame ) get shot a lot...

I'd go MK IV and never look back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Watch a u tube video on the Mark 2. Everything is hard if you don’t know how. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
D Dial: I also am in the Ruger MK "heavy barrel" camp!
I own a BUNCH of Ruger MK pistols and the ones I prefer to shoot and use afield for small game and Varmints are the heavy barrel models.
Been owning and shooting Ruger MK's for MANY decades now and have, as yet, not needed to "field strip" any of them.
Like Hasbeen1945 (damn IS he older than I - me being born in 1947?) has relayed the answer IS on You-Tube.
Best of luck which ever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Although I enjoy my 1911s, I’ve always preferred the feel of my MK grips more than the few 22/45s I’ve owned (and since parted with). They ALL shot better than I can. Weight preference is also a factor. My favorites are mkii’s with a bull barrel. The grip, weight, balance, and a hint of better accuracy over non-bull variations happen to work best for me. It’s all about personal preference though.

As for the take down issues - I watched a how to YouTube video many years ago. I took mine apart several times while watching the video. Then later took it down several more times while watching tv. After that, it was committed to memory and takes all of 30 seconds to disassemble or assemble.

It seems to very from gun to gun, but occasionally during the very first takedown, the barrel is froze/stuck and requires some coercion to break free from the frame. After that, they come apart with ease.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by jsgwoodsman; 03/02/22.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

D_Dial Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I’m leaning towards the mark iv but time will tell after I check em both out.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman
Although I enjoy my 1911s, I’ve always preferred the feel of my MK grips more than the few 22/45s I’ve owned (and since parted with). They ALL shot better than I can. Weight preference is also a factor. My favorites are mkii’s with a bull barrel. The grip, weight, balance, and a hint of better accuracy over non-bull variations happen to work best for me. It’s all about personal preference though.

As for the take down issues - I watched a how to YouTube video many years ago. I took mine apart several times while watching the video. Then later took it down several more times while watching tv. After that, it was committed to memory and takes all of 30 seconds to disassemble or assemble.

It seems to very from gun to gun, but occasionally during the very first takedown, the barrel is froze/stuck and requires some coercion to break free from the frame. After that, they come apart with ease.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yeah, the MarkII is very easy to work on. Especially in the field. NO tools required. Why guys bash this system is beyond me, but it seems guys sitting behind the desk or working from home is more and more common these days. They were not taught to work on cars as a kid either, nor do they want to take the initiative to work on their own guns. To each their own. I timed it once and it took me 3 minutes to strip and clean and assemble my MKII pistol. I have had many and some are tighter than others. I clean my guns after every use and they are very easy to strip and clean and put back together. The guys griping, do not have any mechanical ability at all, probably live in mommas basement too, but I'm sure they are damn good with computers.. I was in the gun library at Cabela's the other day and an older gentleman was spewing bull schidt about how hard it is to work on a Ruger MKII. He was trying his damndest to sell a Mk4 to another gentleman. I had to step out of the library before they asked how I was doing and I said something. The stupidity I hear sometimes is overwhelming...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have both and am a Mark III heavy barrel fan and I have or have had all the generations. My oldest one from the early 2000s right after Mark IIIs came out, is a stainless 5.5" heavy barrel. I would guess it easily has 30,000 rounds through and I love it. The Mark IV is OK but for me the controls are always in the way.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have experience with the first three generations. Take down isn’t bad once you figure it out. Can be done pretty quick as others have said. Of those two I’d choose the MKII. For me the “lite” is just that and not my favorite. That’s not to say I don’t like them, I do and shoot one often. Just picking between the two.

Curious, what don’t you like about the SW Victory?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have 6 of these things. I shoot the heavy barrels best, skinny barrels not so good. Field stripping isnt bad, I learned after I tore one down to reblue.

MKIIs are bringing decent money, my lgs easily gets 500ish for used stainless ones. The MKII would be the better investment.

I have a MKIII 22/45 lite. I got rid of the mag disconnect (not sure if the iv has this). I shoot it more than all of my others. Got a Burris FFII on it, a lot of fun. I think you would enjoy it more.

As far as being threaded, of course if you plan on getting a can, but a lot of folks put a compensator on them also.

Last edited by killerv; 03/03/22.
D_Dial Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ring3
I have experience with the first three generations. Take down isn’t bad once you figure it out. Can be done pretty quick as others have said. Of those two I’d choose the MKII. For me the “lite” is just that and not my favorite. That’s not to say I don’t like them, I do and shoot one often. Just picking between the two.

Curious, what don’t you like about the SW Victory?

The victory was an option but I couldn’t find one local anywhere to even handle and check out.

D_Dial Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I met with the fellow last night. I ended up buying the 22/45 lite. It’s in like new condition, came with the box and everything you’d get if you purchased it new. Man they are very light feeling in your hand and the grip feels comfortable.
I’ll post pics of it tonight. Paid $340 which I thought was fair price.

The mk2 was is in fair condition with weak blueing in places.
Could have got it at a much lower price

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sounds like you did good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 16 invisible), 1,689 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,804
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.