Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What are the latest and greatest cold weather gloves that are not too bulky when used with a rifle, shotgun or handgun?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Curious about this myself

My glove arsenal consists of Kuiu for hunting then devolves rapidly to Mechanix, Kinco & Green Kings for other stuff.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

Green Army woolies are, and forever shall remain, a good choice. Three pairs for $10 at the Army/navy school. Pair with a Goretex Mitten shell from Rei and there isn't a thing they can't handle. MAYBE drop a hand-warmer packet down between the mitten and glove if on a truly freezing cold day.

I've got the latest/greatest of everything else in my clothing arsenal, but keep coming back to these stupid things.

Now, if one of you would like to buy me a set of the Sitka Gear GTX gloves for $200 that would be fantastic because I like everything about them.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like the green Army gloves as well and the plain jane brown Jersey gloves work good as well.

Most gloves fit too tight even the XL and cut off circulation to my fingers.

Last edited by pullit; 03/02/22.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nothing fancy here, usually a liner glove inside a leather glove. Shed the outer glove to shoot. Also use the milsurp wool gloves and milsurp mittens. I haven’t found the perfect glove so I just have plenty on hand to swap out as they get wet. Hand warmers take up the slack.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outdoor Research Gripper Gloves have been a longtime favorite of mine.
They're windproof and wonderfully articulated for dexterity.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
For really cold, the ECWS mittens are tough to beat.
https://www.mcguirearmynavy.com/pro...V0szvSC5chrDd308aoqx9EjxuyxoCJ1sQAvD_BwE

I like polypro liners under most mitts and gloves if I can make them fit.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Glacier-Glove-Polypropylene-Glove-Liner/51409118

For not-crazy cold, I like the trigger finger mittens. They work with the military wool liners or the polypro liners.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...MU-j7k-ghwP0iC85HRRiG8HNPohoCPUwQAvD_BwE

95% of the time, I'm wearing a generic pair of insulated leather gloves with fleece backs that I get for $5-7 locally. Found a link: https://www.aih.com/Catalog/Safety-...rk-Gloves/MJC-Fleece-And-Deerkskin-Glove
I don't cry if they get lost/ruined, and they work pretty well down to -10 or so on a snowmachine or when active. The only ones I could find were 2XL, and I normally wear XL. The larger size helps them rip off easier if needed. I generally don't shoot with gloves.

I was gifted a pair of Kuiu down mitts. Similar to these, but mine are straight mittens, and have no grip dots. https://www.kuiu.com/products/super-down-pro-glassing-glomitt-valo-camouflage?variant=40479861244062

They are pretty awesome, as much as it pains me to say it. Light, compressible, and really really warm. They are clumsy and slippery, but they keep your hands warm. Don't expect to do anything while wearing them though, because it wouldn't take much to shred them.

Last edited by cwh2; 03/02/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cwh2

95% of the time, I'm wearing a generic pair of insulated leather gloves with fleece backs that I get for $5-7 locally. Found a link: https://www.aih.com/Catalog/Safety-...rk-Gloves/MJC-Fleece-And-Deerkskin-Glove
I don't cry if they get lost/ruined, and they work pretty well down to -10 or so on a snowmachine or when active. The only ones I could find were 2XL, and I normally wear XL. The larger size helps them rip off easier if needed. I generally don't shoot with gloves.

That seems like a lot of glove for the $$$$. And I like the idea of the entire back of the glove being game for snot wiping. laugh
Gonna give a pair a whirl.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm in for a pair too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Kinko Premium lined glove w/ pigskin palms, the choice of mountain guides and outdoor workers for years, $38.00. For sitting and glassing or calling in serious cold I use OR trigger finger mitts w/ several pairs of poly liners.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
IC B3

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Rag wool convertible mittens. For me the best of both worlds.
When it gets super cold then a pair of light weight gloves inside a pair of XL mittens.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

If those are the same as Trustworthy has, they’re pretty good. I have three pair I keep on the furnace and rotate when pushing snow - on an open station tractor. 😉

The pairs I have are XL, but last I tried, L was too small. They had no XL.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the Badlands Convection Gloves. Bought a pair 3 years ago for a late season cow elk hunt. Snowed for 3 days and never got above 10 degrees while I was there. Kept my hands warm and dry and they aren't so bulky that you can't shoot while wearing them.

https://www.badlandsgear.com/collections/gloves/products/convection-glove?variant=40984515870912

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Always have jersey gloves with me and sometimes double them up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Through lots of years, I have tried all manner of glove/mitten combinations, and for a long time had settled on a pair of wool liners inside a set of leather chopper mitts. If I needed more warmth than the combo could provide, I would stick a chem heat pack in each mitt. When a shot presented itself, I would bite the tip of the mitt and pull it off. The system worked pretty well.

Four years ago, I took a hard right turn. I bought and started using a Hunters Safety System Muff with a pair of merino wool liners and a couple of chem packs when necessary. I'm a stillhunter, so while one hand carries my rifle, the other is in the muff all toasty. When my carry hand gets tired or cold, I alternate hands. So far, I find it to be a great system, although I'm considering looking into rechargeable battery powered heaters to replace the chem packs. The dexterity allowed by wearing just the wool liners is an added plus.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 03/02/22.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by cwh2

95% of the time, I'm wearing a generic pair of insulated leather gloves with fleece backs that I get for $5-7 locally. Found a link: https://www.aih.com/Catalog/Safety-...ve-Equipment-PPE/Gloves-And-Hand-Arm-Pro

And I like the idea of the entire back of the glove being game for snot wiping. laugh

Always nice until the dreaded nettle strikes....and it will!

I have some Cabela's glommits from when Cabela's was Cabela's. Couple handwarmer packs and you're good for about anything.

When handgun hunting a pocket full of handwarmers and the bare hand gets the nod.

For driving or still hunting, buckskin leather just to keep the pointy objects (and nettles) and the chill off.

Last edited by HawkI; 03/02/22.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hot Shot glommits are pretty decent but you may want to chop the index and middle finger for improved dexterity. Theirs has a pocket for a handwarmer built in.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman

Four years ago, I took a hard right turn. I bought and started using a Hunters Safety System Muff with a pair of merino wool liners and a couple of chem packs when necessary. I'm a stillhunter, so while one hand carries my rifle, the other is in the muff all toasty. When my carry hand gets tired or cold, I alternate hands. So far, I find it to be a great system, although I'm considering looking into rechargeable battery powered heaters to replace the chem packs. The dexterity allowed by wearing just the wool liners is an added plus.

Like you, I started using a hand muff when hunting years ago because my fingers always stayed cold no matter what gloves I tried. The muff I use is a Cabelas Big Game fleece. It’s thick enough but not bulky, quiet, soft, has a zipper pocket to put stuff or a chem pack warmer. I use a thin fleece glove for my hands and they slide in and out of the muff easily.

If working outside I double up on the brown jersey gloves. They keep my hands as warm as anything.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Roundoak: I have been seeking the answer to that question for MANY decades myself!
I decided (about 20 years ago) to give up in my search for and of buying all manner of gloves that would allow deft handling of shotguns, Rifles and pistols.
Heres what I do when it is COLD and I am out shooting, Hunting, snowmobiling or fishing - I rely on a pair of green Army surplus insulated mittens with Army surplus inner gloves!
Your hand can NOT get cold while wearing these.
The Army surplus gloves that I have (and horde!) are the green canvass insulated type with leather palms on them and the furry, back of the hand protection.
I just put up with needing to remove (and they remove in just a few seconds!) these gloves/mittens and then shooting/handling my firearms or fishing pole as needed - with WARM hands by the way.
I sometimes even use the issued long green string that can be threaded through ones coat and coat sleeves and attaching to each glove - thus preventing their loss.
These gloves are not only impervious to cold they are impervious to wind - and when it is really cold there is not much chance of them becoming wet!
I highly recommend you try a pair and learn to live with the few seconds it takes to get them off of your warm hands.
Good luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.