Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
cdg Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The Tikka 7mm-08 Superlite (22.4" Barrel) has roughly 1.5" from end of barrel to beginning of fluting so it wasn't really an option to cut to 20" and thread....and I couldn't find a regular Tikka T3X Lite (unfluted barrel) in 7mm-08.
Therefore I called Fierce since I like the Sako/Tikka action and they had a Fury in 7mm-08 with threaded 20" steel barrel (tungsten cerakote) and allowed the option of choosing the stock color....and they gave a pretty nice price which by the time I would have made the alterations to a T3X (cut barrel and thread, purchase brake, aftermarket stock) it probably still would have cost slightly less but the Fury is for the most part turn-key ready and has very good reviews.
Looking forward to getting it to the range when it arrives in a few weeks.
Cheers

Last edited by cdg; 03/02/22.
HR IC

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What’s with all the clamor over short-barreled man buns? 22” IS a short barrel IMO.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tikka and call it good
I agree, 22" is a short barrel

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
My t3x in 6.5 has a 24" barrel and that's plenty damn short. My Marlin xs-7 in 7-08 is 22" wish it was 24"...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by cdg
The Tikka 7mm-08 Superlite (22.4" Barrel) has roughly 1.5" from end of barrel to beginning of fluting so it wasn't really an option to cut to 20" and thread....and I couldn't find a regular Tikka T3X Lite (unfluted barrel) in 7mm-08.
Therefore I called Fierce since I like the Sako/Tikka action and they had a Fury in 7mm-08 with threaded 20" steel barrel (tungsten cerakote) and allowed the option of choosing the stock color....and they gave a pretty nice price which by the time I would have made the alterations to a T3X (cut barrel and thread, purchase brake, aftermarket stock) it probably still would have cost slightly less but the Fury is for the most part turn-key ready and has very good reviews.
Looking forward to getting it to the range when it arrives in a few weeks.
Cheers

Good choice! I've seen nothing but good reports on Fierce.

And IMO if you buy a Tikka you should do it based on what it is . . . not what you think it could be. Otherwise you will have quickly doubled the cost, or more.

And if you decide you want something else, it will still have Tikka resale value. You won't recover those costs.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
IC B2

C
cdg Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
After weighing all the options and deciding on a Fierce Fury I'm very content with my decision. The Fury stock fit me very well and as mentioned, reviews are positive.
I really wanted something that I liked initially and wouldn't have to alter to get it to that point as I prefer to use my off time from the hospital either hunting, at the range, or other hobby (backpacking, fishing) vs tinkering/modifying.
Modifying costs not only money but time....and time spent on other things sometimes is worth more (at least to me).

I'm a smaller guy and find a 20" barrel balanced, handles well and is easy to carry in the woods.....though with the brake installed it does add roughly 1.7" of length. I agree that longer barrels are beneficial for magnum cartridges.....but the 7mm-08 will do just fine with a 20".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you're happy that's all that counts, right?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cdg
After weighing all the options and deciding on a Fierce Fury I'm very content with my decision. The Fury stock fit me very well and as mentioned, reviews are positive.
I really wanted something that I liked initially and wouldn't have to alter to get it to that point as I prefer to use my off time from the hospital either hunting, at the range, or other hobby (backpacking, fishing) vs tinkering/modifying.
Modifying costs not only money but time....and time spent on other things sometimes is worth more (at least to me).

I'm a smaller guy and find a 20" barrel balanced, handles well and is easy to carry in the woods.....though with the brake installed it does add roughly 1.7" of length. I agree that longer barrels are beneficial for magnum cartridges.....but the 7mm-08 will do just fine with a 20".

Sounds like you found the best option for your needs. Let us know how it shoots. Should be a damn good rifle. Those Fierce rifles get some great reviews. I really like that cartridge. Decided to pack it for deer and elk hunting last year and the year prior. Shot a small bull with the 7mm08 last year and it worked perfectly. Bull went down just like it was hit with anything else I've used. Good meat in the freezer is the main thing. Keep us posted buddy.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I see the OP has found a rifles he’s happy with—a success story 😁

Over the past 40 years I’ve chrono’d 15-20 different 7-08’s (most not mine) some of them with multiple loads, and of all the popular hunting rounds the 7-08 velocity has been the least affected by bbl length. A 24” bbl is no advantage when it comes to velocity.

One time several of us were chronographing rifles and one of my friends had two 7-08’s with 20” and 24” bbls, both burning H4350. We could tell a difference in muzzle blast while standing behind the shooter. The 20” was definitely a bit louder.

Personally I find the 22” to be the perfect compromise (if there is such a thing) for most “non-magnums” in a hunting rifle. It moves the muzzle away from the shooter, is more portable and lighter, and hypothetically a shorter bbl is stiffer than a longer bbl.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.