Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My M15-7 is one of my favorite handguns. It is very accurate with a number of loads and easy to shoot well. It is in great shape. The only thing I don’t like is the appearance of the rubber finger groove stocks that came on it. They work well for me, but IMO, this handgun deserves better. What wood stocks do you recommend? I don’t want something huge. I don’t have small hands, but my fingers are not particularly long. Magna style stocks never worked well for me. It being a 4’ K w/o ejector shroud, I would like something fairly trim in keeping with the size of the revolver.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 03/02/22.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine wears the magna grips but with a Tyler T-grip in place.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I like VZ Tactical Diamonds if you’re not stuck on wood stocks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like Eagle's finger groove style stocks on K-frame Smiths, specifically their model SW05-FPRO-NASM

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My favorite are made by John Culina in Oregon.

https://www.culinagrips.com/

They are somewhat pricey, but are absolutely superb. My preference is his coke bottle style target grips (for field or target - they mimic the older S&W “Cokes”).

When you call, you will speak to Jennifer who is a great person and very helpful. Just now she’s not taking orders and doing their annual bookkeeping/admin/taxes drill so the phone may go to voicemail. This should clear in a couple weeks. These stocks are worth the wait and look even better in person.

Last edited by GF1; 03/03/22.
IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have the Roper grips by Altamont on my square but K frames.
I’m on my phone so I can’t post a picture. Altamont’s website has good pictures.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
+1 on spending some time on Altamont's site.

And, I never really warmed up to Hogue finger grove grips, but I'm really liking the smooth ones. Several wood choices.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
My M15-7 is one of my favorite handguns. It is very accurate with a number of loads and easy to shoot well. It is in great shape. The only thing I don’t like is the appearance of the rubber finger groove stocks that came on it. They work well for me, but IMO, this handgun deserves better. What wood stocks do you recommend? I don’t want something huge. I don’t have small hands, but my fingers are not particularly long. Magna style stocks never worked well for me. It being a 4’ K w/o ejector shroud, I would like something fairly trim in keeping with the size of the revolver.

Thanks in advance.

Try a Tyler T Grip Adapter. They work wonders. The reason you have trouble with the Magna Grips is that they allow the middle finger to ride up too high to give you proper leverage in the double action trigger pull. The Tyler Adapters prevent that rise of the middle finger, thus allowing you to have more leverage.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mine wears Magnas with a Tyler and having smaller hands that’s what I prefer on all my S&Ws. That said, if you just want to try one don’t spend the crazy money or wait forever for a Tyler. Order up a BK, same fit but much cheaper.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TheKid
Mine wears Magnas with a Tyler and having smaller hands that’s what I prefer on all my S&Ws. That said, if you just want to try one don’t spend the crazy money or wait forever for a Tyler. Order up a BK, same fit but much cheaper.

Just looked into these, and they look like exact copies of the Tyler Grip Adapters.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I detested the Grippers that were originally on my M66 and put the factory wood stocks back on. Chief did not approve wood stocks for some reason so I put on a set of Pachmyer Presentation grips which resembled the wood stocks. Still have those grips on the gun 38 years later.

I would go back to the factory stocks but they are so light in color that they do not look good on the stainless steel. I think they would look good on a blued gun though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GF1
My favorite are made by John Culina in Oregon.

https://www.culinagrips.com/

They are somewhat pricey, but are absolutely superb. My preference is his coke bottle style target grips (for field or target - they mimic the older S&W “Cokes”).

When you call, you will speak to Jennifer who is a great person and very helpful. Just now she’s not taking orders and doing their annual bookkeeping/admin/taxes drill so the phone may go to voicemail. This should clear in a couple weeks. These stocks are worth the wait and look even better in person.

Have a pair on one of my N frames and also on one of my K frames. They are worth the wait. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ahrends makes (or made, they unfortunately closed up shop a year or two ago) great wood stocks for S&W revolvers of all sizes. Close to on par with a Culina product, but significantly lower price, still not ‘cheap’. I think if you scour the internet a bit, maybe start at EBay, you can still find new in-the-package sets. Great, handsome grips. Especially at the price.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Ahrends makes (or made, they unfortunately closed up shop a year or two ago) great wood stocks for S&W revolvers of all sizes. Close to on par with a Culina product, but significantly lower price, still not ‘cheap’. I think if you scour the internet a bit, maybe start at EBay, you can still find new in-the-package sets. Great, handsome grips. Especially at the price.

Damn! I had no idea Ahrends closed shop. That sucks. They made some great grips. I have several. I liked their Retro Combat.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Damn! I had no idea Ahrends closed shop. That sucks. They made some great grips. I have several. I liked their Retro Combat.

Agreed. Hold onto any you may have not on a gun, Price went up immediately. They are nice. Wish I’d bought more. Like the retro targets myself. Wife got sick, cancer. Finances and personal reasons and he had to close up. Most unfortunate.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Maybe forget the Ahrends suggestion. Just did a quick search myself and they’re gone. Certain suppliers were sitting on some existing inventories for awhile, but no mo. Be looking for used ones at this point. If you ever happen upon them at a gun show or otherwise in your searches, I’d jump on a set. Otherwise, Culinas are certainly top notch.

Last edited by Mr_Harry; 03/04/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Me either! I liked their grips a lot. Feels like I just bought a set from them not too long ago. Dayam.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Me either! I liked their grips a lot. Feels like I just bought a set from them not too long ago. Dayam.

Not to hijack, and short of posting up in WTB, if either of you gents happen to have a set you might be willing to part with, in L/K frame, round butt, round to square conversions, combat or target, I’d be very pleased to take them off your hands. I’m pretty easy to please with the woods and stains, it’s the fit I like. PM me if so. Thanks, much.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you, all. Some great recommendations. I went with a set of walnut Altamont Ropers. Again, many thanks.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ExpatFromOK
Thank you, all. Some great recommendations. I went with a set of walnut Altamont Ropers. Again, many thanks.

Expat

Nice.

i bought a set of these from Altamont for a 2.5" 66-1 not long ago. Found a Tyler-T a while before to go with them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 22250rem, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 61 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,574
Posts18,491,978
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.