Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Horse1, what is your mainstay upland cold weather glove?

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Chinee sizing.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by cwh2
Horse1, what is your mainstay upland cold weather glove?

Hard to say "mainstay" because I've tried so many that it keeps changing. The Hestra ErgoGrip I mentioned in my 1st post was my mainstay this fall. I can manipulate all the controls of a Beretta semi-auto with the gloves on.

The Kuiu liners under thin/soft deerskin or similar leather gloves are also a great choice as well.

I'm a sucker for end-of-season closeouts as well. I have the Manzella soft-shell wind-proof archery gloves stuck in every vehicle, backpack, and hunting-gear bag as a "just in case". They might not always be just exactly what I need, but, they're really good most of the time.

Cold-hands is a relative term that must be taken into account as well. First and foremost, I'm "well insulated" IE: Chubby. As such, I'm almost always too warm rather than cold. Second, I'm "comfortable" as long as my hands are warm enough not to lose dexterity. Some folks aren't comfortable unless their hands are truly warm. Same goes for feet and ears.

A couple of guys I hunt with we end up with a lot of the same gear because we have similar tolerances. One guy that I hunt and ice-fish with always needs something significantly warmer than what I wear whether it's gloves, hats, boots, coats, whatever. The guy is plenty tough, just has different needs than I do. I grew up being told by my dad that if he was warm enough in XX piece of gear that I damned sure better be warm enough too and if I didn't think I was, toughen up. With that in mind, now I just try to tell folks what works for me and why/how it works for me hopefully with enough description that they can make a decision on whether it'll work for them or not.

Last edited by horse1; 03/06/22.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Chinee sizing.
Made in Myanmar.
grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
roundoak, besides the sizing issue, what is your opinion of build quality, odds of performing in cold weather, etc?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I never used to need gloves until it got down below 25 degrees. Now that I'm getting older that's changed and I need gloves if it's below 40. Down to the low 20's I'm fine with a pair of jerseys. I usually carry a couple extra pairs in my pockets in case they get wet and if it gets colder than anticipated I may double up. When it's colder than that I've got a pair of those fleece hunting mittens that flip up and have a built in compartment for hand warmers.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks horsey.

Its tough to identify what is "warm enough for active wear when you need X amount of dexterity", but I figured that was a good measure.

Im likely too cheap to try the Hestras, but I will check out the manzellas at some point. The quest for the perfect gloves is never ending.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
roundoak, besides the sizing issue, what is your opinion of build quality, odds of performing in cold weather, etc?

For $6.99 plus shipping I can't see any build flaws for that price point. The split grain deerskin is the only good feature for me. It would give you a good gripping surface on your firearms. The back of the glove is fleece and will collect dust, dirt, hair, weed stickers, etc. Did not try them for cold weather because they did not fit. To sum it up, I will not order a larger size.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

689 members (1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 63 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,728
Posts18,475,912
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.