Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
A friend of a friend has a bunch of guns to liquidate out of his estate and three rimfires have caught my eye and I am debating which to get. I have a few good 22 LR already so this is impulse buy... They are all about the same price too. I have not seen any of them

Sav Anschutz 54M 22 mag
I don't have a 22 mag.
Hard to find replacement mags

Browning t-bolt
Dark wood Belgium made
Salt wood era?
Mags hard to find?
My uncle had one that I thought was cool

Browning auto
Cool little takedown gun
I don't have a 22 semi-auto rifle
Belgium made

What would you get and why?
What would you avoid and why?

Last edited by humdinger; 03/03/22.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You are asking for an opinion, I will give mine, for what it’s worth.
The Savage/Anschutz is the priciest of the lot. The 54 Sporters were real works of art, I will never part with my LR version. The magnum version is very rare, go for it if you want a magnum even though you may ever find a replacement magazine. Common Savage LR magazines can be modified to work in the 54, there might be a workaround for the magnum version too. Check on Rimfire Central.
The T-Bolts are neat rifles but not to the level of the Anschutz. Salt wood is an issue to be investigated.
The Browning semi auto is a real classic. The value depends on whether it was made in Belgium or Japan. Nothing wrong with the Japanese version, they will last several lifetimes but the collectors will pay more for the Belgian made one.
Like I said, these are just my opinions. Personally , I would go for the Browning semi auto. I just have never wanted a 22 magnum or the Anschutz would be #1.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Kp321
You are asking for an opinion, I will give mine, for what it’s worth.
The Savage/Anschutz is the priciest of the lot. The 54 Sporters were real works of art, I will never part with my LR version. The magnum version is very rare, go for it if you want a magnum even though you may ever find a replacement magazine. Common Savage LR magazines can be modified to work in the 54, there might be a workaround for the magnum version too. Check on Rimfire Central.
The T-Bolts are neat rifles but not to the level of the Anschutz. Salt wood is an issue to be investigated.
The Browning semi auto is a real classic. The value depends on whether it was made in Belgium or Japan. Nothing wrong with the Japanese version, they will last several lifetimes but the collectors will pay more for the Belgian made one.
Like I said, these are just my opinions. Personally , I would go for the Browning semi auto. I just have never wanted a 22 magnum or the Anschutz would be #1.

The browning auto is a Belgium made.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Get the browning auto. It’s a classic and fun gun to shoot that will always appreciate in value. Slick and svelte

The 54’s are excellent guns but I personally don’t shoot much 22 mag. Maybe you would? If it were a 22lr this would be the first choice

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Side question:
What sights upgrades can you do to the browning auto Belgiom era?

Peep sight? Scope?

I suspect you're limited to whats on the barrel and I have aging eyes....

Maye someone makes a cool small red dot retrofit?

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
remove the buttplate and check screws for rust if you think its salt era, but you'd probably also see rust where other metal touches the wood.

they make scope mounts for the SA if you wanted to go that route.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The Savage Anschutz will be the most valuable assuming their all in similar condition. I have a Savage Anschutz 54 Sporter in 22LR that my father purchased new. They're fantastic guns.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by humdinger
Side question:
What sights upgrades can you do to the browning auto Belgiom era?

Peep sight? Scope?

I suspect you're limited to whats on the barrel and I have aging eyes....

Maye someone makes a cool small red dot retrofit?

As far as I know, they were all drilled and tapped for scopes. The earlier guns were tapped on the receiver and the zero would wonder as the rifles were taken apart and put back together. The later Belgian guns had the barrel tapped and used a cantilever mount which was a much more consistent setup.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If I had the Browning semiauto I would search out a Redfield 4x 3/4" tube. They look like a scaled down Weaver K4 or Redfield/Leupold/etc. 1" tube "regular" scope and had very good optics. They look tailor-made for those little rifles.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
If I had the Browning semiauto I would search out a Redfield 4x 3/4" tube. They look like a scaled down Weaver K4 or Redfield/Leupold/etc. 1" tube "regular" scope and had very good optics. They look tailor-made for those little rifles.

Those semi auto brownings are cute little things. The question I have for the op is how much is the SA22? I ran into a beautiful Belgium made Browning SA22 last year for $400. I didn't buy it and probably should have at that price. So my question is, are these rifles priced right??? I'd walk on all of them if they are overpriced. Something you see a lot these days. However, IF they are priced right, I'd buy them all... Just me though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well you have some fine ones to pick from for sure.
You do not say what the intended use is, hunting, target shooting, or just collecting or?

That might help you decide

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by pullit
Well you have some fine ones to pick from for sure.
You do not say what the intended use is, hunting, target shooting, or just collecting or?

That might help you decide

Plinking.
occasional skunk hunting duty

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

Those semi auto brownings are cute little things. The question I have for the op is how much is the SA22? I ran into a beautiful Belgium made Browning SA22 last year for $400. I didn't buy it and probably should have at that price. So my question is, are these rifles priced right??? I'd walk on all of them if they are overpriced. Something you see a lot these days. However, IF they are priced right, I'd buy them all... Just me though..

Prices...
anschutz - $550 / 650
Browning SA - 1969 belgium - $550/ 650
T-bolt - belgium 1966 - $350/ $410

The appraiser gave the estate holder ranges and I heard the guy wants top dollar because of how crazy guns are now.
I have not priced any of them yet. The browning SA may be overpriced

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That's light on the Tbolt.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I agree with killerv. I wouldn't sell my Japanese made Tbolt for that, much less a Belium made one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From the auctions I've watched lately and pricing I've seen on different gun sites, those prices are pretty low compared to what some are asking for them on gunbroker , most LGS, and other places these days. If it were me, I would buy all of them and sell the ones you don't want. I would make him a lower offer to buy all three and see what he says...

I've wanted a Savage Anschutz for a while but never saw a 54 version in 22 Mag. It would be a great vermin killer at long range....

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 03/03/22.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Humdinger: JUMP on that Browning Belgium T-Bolt like a Duck on a June Bug!
PERIOD.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
T-bolt - belgium 1966 - $350/ $410. I would injure myself trying to get my wallet out fast enough to pay for this......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Belgian Brownings are all fine guns, but the winner in that group is the Anschutz for the prices being asked.

The T-bolt may be a salt gun and it may only be a T-1, not the fancier/checkered T-2. In my opinion, SA-22s are usually overpriced, though I'd love to have one again, or better yet, a Remington 241.

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 03/03/22.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
T-bolt - belgium 1966 - $350/ $410. I would injure myself trying to get my wallet out fast enough to pay for this......

Unless it is a salt gun. I had one in bad shape under the wood.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 3,413 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,635
Posts18,533,282
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.