Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
What is the collective opinion on this model for occasional welding and a home backup power source?

I am not much of a welder and we haven't had the power go out yet but my wife is a worrying mess.

A 5500 continuous watt Honda is $3k, I see you can get one of these for around $5500.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc....r-with-gfci-and-remote-start-stop-907791

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I am a 50 year Lincoln addict...and I say that is a best buy. Don't listen to us snobs. Half the field service mechanics trucks got Millers and they do just fine.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Consider me ignorant.

Is Lincoln better than Miller?

I see a few Millers around here so that is what got me on the track.

I honestly don't know anything about these things and haven't looked up Lincoln yet.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Lincoln has built their reputation on quality and longevity and good repair and parts service when needed. You can go on ebay right this minute and order any part for a 70 year old welder. Miller is almost as good,,,,, for power generation, Miller is just as good, using the same engines in this size machine as Lincoln. Miller will come in cheaper than Lincoln every time. Like I said, mechanics trucks have a lot of Millers, and when you go on Sam's ranch at 120 bucks an hour, you don't get to spend Sam's time and money getting the damn welder/power source, crane power, air compressor going. Nothing wrong with Miller. They got a bit of a bad rap some years back for aluminum windings causing voltage and current droop while near continuous welding. That's been fixed through contrpl circuit tweaking and in this size machine, Lincoln has aluminum too. Go for the best buy, not the paint color.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Kind of like a Ford vs Chevy thing, either will do the job.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks man.

I was just checking them, similar model Lincoln was about $5-600 more than Miller. But the red one had a fancy digital display screen and that might be too fancy for this outfit.

And it looks like these combo machines are a little hard to find in stock. Go figure....lol

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If just going to use occasionally with extended times in between get a diesel or a gas unit with EFI, will cost more but you wouldn't regret it.

Phil

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Consider me ignorant.

Is Lincoln better than Miller?

I see a few Millers around here so that is what got me on the track.

I honestly don't know anything about these things and haven't looked up Lincoln yet.

I am kinda there with you Sam... I have been looking at both... Lincoln guys have me leaning that way a bit.

I picked up these at about $700 each (Google MEP-002A)... low hours... 120/240 and 3 phase 120/208. Rated at 5k, but I suspect 8 is easy peasy.

Spent $300 or so to have custom torsion axle put under them and $100 or so for the tow steel set up.

I will add a panel this summer for various outlets. Run a house, run a 120/240 welder etc.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I will also probably get a Lincoln engine driven machine if I find a good used diesel one. $20k is more than I care to spend on new... https://store.cyberweld.com/lincoln-cross-country-diesel-welder-k4166-1.html

Homepage for gas machines (Lincoln)... https://store.cyberweld.com/liendrwe.html

Last edited by CashisKing; 03/03/22. Reason: More info

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I've stick welded using a trailblazer and it was a real sweetheart. Neighbor helped me out once and he had an older bobcat that worked just fine also. I like the idea of a welder that can be used as a generator. By no means do I make a living at welding but have done enough on different machines to know that using that trailblazer was awesome.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got one just like it. Had it for years, and it's been a good welder and generator.

(Hobart and Miller are the same. Just different paint.)

Mounted it on a 14' trailer so I can move it where I need it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have carried one of those or one just like it but older for many years. I also have at present a Lincoln Rnager 305. Either one will do you a fine job and probably last a long time with proper care. Frankly, everybody has their preferences, but for my money, the Miller is the better machine.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I've been plugging my 200 watt Harbor Freight Titanium multi-process into a Honda eu7000is and it works great.

Tarquin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sam, I think I paid $2700 about 3 years ago.

They have gone up some. But like I said, this is the same welder/generator as the one you linked, but looks cheaper price wise.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/hobart-champion-elite-dc-welder-generator?cm_vc=-10005

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Not a single thing wrong with Miller.

More and more welders are going to Miller. Lincoln is losing a little ground there.

For what you want to do Sam...I would sure look at a Hobart.

Hobart is I believe Miller's economy brand. They seem virtually the same except for features.

Be quite a bit less money.

For the record...I have 6 Lincoln welders. Two of which are engine drives.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Lincoln has built their reputation on quality and longevity and good repair and parts service when needed. You can go on ebay right this minute and order any part for a 70 year old welder. Miller is almost as good,,,,, for power generation, Miller is just as good, using the same engines in this size machine as Lincoln. Miller will come in cheaper than Lincoln every time. Like I said, mechanics trucks have a lot of Millers, and when you go on Sam's ranch at 120 bucks an hour, you don't get to spend Sam's time and money getting the damn welder/power source, crane power, air compressor going. Nothing wrong with Miller. They got a bit of a bad rap some years back for aluminum windings causing voltage and current droop while near continuous welding. That's been fixed through contrpl circuit tweaking and in this size machine, Lincoln has aluminum too. Go for the best buy, not the paint color.

Refreshing to see an honest, non biased report.
With actual knowledge of the competitive brands.

If everyone was so objective, the chainsaws threads would be
shorter, and more informative.

Instead we get,
"My Pappy, Daddy and Me have only owned...Stihl(or Husky)
Stihl is best, Husky(or Stihl) sucks.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve got a Miller bobcat.

Welds good, makes 11k power i think.

Flintlocke is right about the old Lincoln’s. I fooled with them over the years. The old sa200. There’s a reason the pipiliners still use machines made in the 50’s and 60’s. Just know they only make DC power.

Sam, if you wanting it for power for longer times. Look for a Kubota fired diesel welder.

Lincoln or Miller.

I had a Lincoln vantage 300 for awhile. Hard to beat a diesel running 1800 rpm vs a lawnmower engine screaming at 3600..

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Sam, Truck before last I had a Miller AEAD 200 LE...2 cyl Onan, reliable, never a problem, ran 5/32 7018 all positions sweet and smooth. It has 120/240, I don't know how many watts. It's an ugly machine, looks like a bunch of schidt bolted together...but easy starting even with stanky old gas. I rigged up a compressor drive off the front flywheel and ran a 2 cyl Bendix Westinghouse truck compressor. You see them now and then with low hours for under a 1,000 bucks. Mine with 2,500 or so hours still ran like a sewing machine when I sold the truck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sam;
Good afternoon my friend, I hope you're well.

In one of my former jobs I was responsible for keeping a few generators operational for a small construction company and my good wife and daughter work for a larger one.

I know less than nothing about welders.

For generators or anything gas powered, I'll prefer Honda first, then Yamaha and then everything else stacks in underneath that. Parts availability and reliability are why that is.

We had a Generac generator with a little 3 cylinder Isuzu in it that burned less fuel than the much, much smaller Yamaha gas.

It was bought used off of a large construction company with "a lot" of hours on it and then we put "a whole lot" more on it. The radiator blew and we had to get a custom one fit into it, but that was no big deal and it was running like a top when I left there.

Whatever one is getting for emergency use, it's good practice to do the math on fuel consumption. It's amazing how many folks I talk to that have a generator and one 5 gallon Jerry can of gas - that's a year old with no stabilizer in it....

For you all, diesel power would be a bigger initial investment perhaps, but I'd think you're quite set up for fuel with them and honestly I don't know how long properly stored diesel will last. I do know I had a drum I filled for Y2K that lasted more than a decade in my tractor Sam - ran fine.

Hopefully that was useful to you or someone out there this afternoon.

All the best.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Hobart and Miller are owned by the same company. I hardly ever stick weld with the Hobart and use it as a generator. I plug my Miller Multimatic welder into the Hobart 50amp receptacle and mig or tig with that.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Gentlemen, you guys are on this, thank you for the info, opinions and replies.

I'm researching and trying to keep up with this thread.

Thank you all for the great help!

(I do like the idea of EFI)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1minute, 219DW, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,772 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,481
Posts18,490,194
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.