Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've been meaning to ask you, can I borrow yours in September?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Checked out the e pack wheel. Not for my situation. Also thinking a two tire set up would be better. More stability, although not single track friendly. For example, a single vs double wheelbarrel.

After more research, I am liking the MSR Hubba Hubba or Big Agnes 3 wire bivy. If I were to get into super cold hunting, a pyramid/stove combo would be better. If I really enjoy this and want to go all in, I can always add that to my equipment list.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've never used the e-packer or the conventional packer but I've used wheelbarrows on trails a bunch. It would seem like two wheels would be better but they're not. If you have a good stout inflatable tire and balance the load right, stability is not an issue and it's much easier to get one wheel down a foot path and steer around rocks etc. than two.

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I can see that, my experience is limited to wheelbarrows in my yard. But solved that problem with a good tip trailer hooked to my lawn tractor.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
I've never used the e-packer or the conventional packer but I've used wheelbarrows on trails a bunch. It would seem like two wheels would be better but they're not. If you have a good stout inflatable tire and balance the load right, stability is not an issue and it's much easier to get one wheel down a foot path and steer around rocks etc. than two.
My partner and I packed a medium sized bull 4 miles in a wheelbarrow. We were on an old logging road and it was mostly downhill. When we had a little uphill, we had to use a rope so both of us could pull. It would have been very difficult for 1 man on the uphills. A wheelbarrow does work better than the majority of carts I've seen but I haven't tried them all. One with side by side wheels wouldn't work at all in most the places where I've hunted. Just don't use a cheap Chinese one. It'll likely collapse way back in somewhere.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve done lots of manual pushing of over-loaded mt bikes slogging up fire roads.
No joy ! A Two wheel cart with handbrakes and pedals to bark your shins.
I can see your urge for simplicity.

Looking at 0 degree extra-wide down quilt,
I would recommend a 20 degree , wide down quilt, like the Bandit,
combined with a 40 or 50 degree synthetic over quilt - sized extra wide to match & layer over your down under quilt.

See Enlightened Equipment’s table of combined layering ratings, also their double quilt pad strap systems. ClimaShield Apex seems to be the better synthetic quilt sheet insulation material.

The synthetic OverQuilt keeps the condensation point outside the down inner bag/quilt .
Thus keeps the inner down dryer.
In truly cold condition a Vbl+ Down mummy is the answer.

Quilt layering gives you lots of options and flexibility for adding a liner bag for colder temps etc.

Last edited by 338Rules; 03/03/22. Reason: Spilling & Punctification

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I can't use a hammock for a couple reasons. For one, I can't sleep on my back. I have a touch of sleep apnea. Next, in much of our good elk country, we have a lack of well placed trees.

I have the same issue .. not sure it is truly sleep apnea but I'll snore loud enough to wake myself .. and anyone else within a quarter mile .. up. Bridge hammock .. warbonnet ridge runner .. fixes that. I sleep mostly on my side. Normally I'm a stomach sleeper but the support / shape of the hammock lets me sleep on my side comfortably which I usually can't do home in bed. I've even woken up on my stomach or mostly on my stomach in it without any issues. I can't promise it'd work for you but if you know someone who has one you could borrow it might be worth a try.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CRS
Checked out the e pack wheel. Not for my situation. Also thinking a two tire set up would be better. More stability, although not single track friendly. For example, a single vs double wheelbarrel.

After more research, I am liking the MSR Hubba Hubba or Big Agnes 3 wire bivy. If I were to get into super cold hunting, a pyramid/stove combo would be better. If I really enjoy this and want to go all in, I can always add that to my equipment list.

No experience with wheeled animal extraction but I would mention that snagging a tent that would allow stove use regardless of if you actually use one might be an approach worth considering.

I’ve got a HubbaHubba and while it’s a great tent, may be limiting compared to a much larger tarp tent that weighs less & packs into less space. As always my .02 might only be worth .01

A
AEL Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
A lot of good advice above, but I will share a little of my experience for what its worth. For what you describe, you could check our REI's tents. I think I have 4 REI tents now. The quarter dome tents are a pretty good value for a backpacking tent. Reasonably light and durable and roomy enough. I have a couple of the SL1s and and a SL2, among others. The one man is pretty light and has enough space under the rain fly for gear. It may not be up to true 4-season, high altitude and high wind trips, but it works pretty well for most backpacking. On a budget, a cheap tarp and some paracord is very light and works well enough and sometimes I prefer to sleep that way. I like the REI better than some of the other mid-priced tents I've had like Mountain Hardware and Sierra Designs.

For ground pads, I've tried a bunch of inflatable pads and keep going back to the old school Ridgerest. You can strap it to the outside of the pack and it doesn't matter if it gets wet or if you are busting thick brush. It's bulletproof and if you don't mind sleeping on a firm surface, it works.

On stoves, I've tried quite a few and for shorter trips like you are describing, I generally use the MSR Pocket Rocket. I've used it up to about 11,500 feet. For higher altitude, the canisters could be an issue. For longer trips, I like the MSR Whisperlite - a really good durable backpacking stove.

For sleeping bags, if you don't want to spend the money for WM or FF, I've had good luck with Marmot down bags. They seem rated better than some others. I like my Marmot Hydrogen. I often take it well below its rating by sleeping with some clothes on or dropping a liner in it. Its super light, but a little cramped, if you don't like mummy bags. It took me a while, but I got used to mummy bags and the weight trade off is worth it to me.

There are a ton of good backpacks out there. You can get a pretty good pack without breaking the bank by going with a non-hunting brand. I really like my Osprey pack and think it is equal to some of the hunting packs that cost more. I also have Eberlestock, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch and others and the Osprey is hard to beat for backpacking.

-AEL

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The UCQ quilt is on order, went with a Eped pad. Right now I am going back and forth between the above listed REI tents and a MLD Duomid pyramid.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CRS
The UCQ quilt is on order, went with a Eped pad. Right now I am going back and forth between the above listed REI tents and a MLD Duomid pyramid.

I love the pyramid and teepee type tents. I've used a go-lite s-3 for years and have a duomid ordered.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By far not the lightest or of the most high tech materials, but if a guy wanted to try the pyramid/teepee style tents the price would be right.

https://www.rivercountryproducts.co...z2Lus9gIVDQaICR0ZZQzJEAAYASAAEgLAp_D_BwE

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I owned a sil Doumid for a couple of years- solid shelter for sure! It has numerous guy tie out points (16 iirc). Pitching it low and utilizing all the guy points, gives you a really solid shelter in very poor conditions.

CRS Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the input.

I had a great big canvas pyramid tent for awhile. We called it the White Buffalo and was a great base camp tent. Used it with an internal pole or outside timber frame. I know how they work.

Leaning towards the duomid, simply because, buy once, cry once. Although I still have my small "backpacking" tent from 30 years ago, and my Sierra from 20 years ago. Both in great shape. Just a little to heavy to pack around. crazy

If I was planning on doing the cold weather thing a bunch, a Seek outside Cimarron with a stove jack would be the decision hands down. If I really get into this again, I will have two pyramids. But right now, the idea of cold weather camping/hunting does not appeal anymore. I have a camper for that.

Really appreciate all the thoughts and experience shared. Stayed fairly civil. cool

Last edited by CRS; 03/04/22.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by CRS

Really appreciate all the thoughts and experience shared. Stayed fairly civil. cool

The backpacking forum is like that. For the most part.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CRS
Like title says, getting back into backpack hunting.

Have not kept up with all the latest greatest stuff.
Picked up a new stove, and a solid pair of boots.

Do not plan on extended trips, probably some overnights into some areas that are now closed to motorized vehicles.

Need advice on tent, sleeping pads and bag/quilt. Been reading quite a bit, but would like some been there, done that experience.

You can buy second hand at a good price at garage/ yard sales this spring. Test equipment if a stove. You don't need to get the latest greatest or what the veteran backpackers get. There's just too many options and everyone has preferences. You will form your own opinions and learn your own needs in time with personal experiences. I would consider an external pack with good reviews. They are normally very versatile and often found at these sales. Good internal frames can be found, but the decent ones are rarer in my experience.
Also consider sleeping off the rocky ground if you plan to hunt in forests. Hammocks with a tarp can be very comfortable and provide a good night sleep once you get past the learning curve

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 03/04/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just read that you don't feel comfortable in hammocks.
If you are still open to trying another time, I'd get on YouTube or a hammock forum for details. Usually new hammockers haven't learned how to lay at the right angle, or they pull the thing flat and it's all counter intuitive to the backyard lounge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I owned a sil Doumid for a couple of years- solid shelter for sure! It has numerous guy tie out points (16 iirc). Pitching it low and utilizing all the guy points, gives you a really solid shelter in very poor conditions.

I’m going to keep your point in mind - I like the idea of the Duomid. The 55” height is especially attractive

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 03/04/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

I’m going to keep your point in mind - I like the idea of the Duomid. The 55” height is especially attractive

Also has an optional inner for summer use (or when the wife goes :D), pretty versatile shelter.

They sell lightweight stove jacks and if a person can sew (or knows someone)- it would make decent hot tent for one person.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Also has an optional inner for summer use (or when the wife goes :D), pretty versatile shelter.

They sell lightweight stove jacks and if a person can sew (or knows someone)- it would make decent hot tent for one person.

A stove jack would push it over the top for my needs - it’s nice to have the option. I’ll look into them more closely.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

317 members (204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 39 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,851
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.