Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Top target shows a quick 3 shot group with the 60gr V-Max out of my new Tikka T3XSL in .223, 1:8.
Below the group is a single keyhole bullet hole, a 68gr BTHP from Hornady. These shoot great out of another rifle, so I was super surprised to see them perform so badly. The group was shot at 100 yds, while the keyhole came at 25 yds during initial sight in....
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The lower target is 4 shots from my old RAR 1:8 and the 68gr BTHP, pushed by W748.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did you verify twist on the new rifle? I would.

Now with even more aplomb
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by JPro
Did you verify twist on the new rifle? I would.

Agreed.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 03/04/22.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yah, something ain't right there.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It says 8" right on the barrel, but I'll try running a tight patch through it today and see what I come up with.
I bought it primarily to run the 75gr ELDM....so yeah. Something isn't right.

BT53

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Sample of 1? Try a few more.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would question the twist also. I bought a M700 223 used and since I lived in Ca at the time, needed to shoot unleaded. Only Barnes I could get to stabilize was a 40gr Varmint Grenade. Wondered why it wouldn't hit the target at 25 yards and finally moved to 25feet. Turns out it was a 1in14. This was at 25 feet with 53gr TTSX.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
It now has a 1in8 Douglas.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Your holes in that 100 yard group aren't round. It looks like they aren't fully stabilized. Like the other suggestions, I'd check the twist rate.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DCR48

No,no... several shots were taken. That one was convenient for a photo. Shots at 200 yards were landing two feet from the intended target, in any direction they wanted!

Originally Posted by BangPop
Your holes in that 100 yard group aren't round. It looks like they aren't fully stabilized. Like the other suggestions, I'd check the twist rate.

Laffin.... the photo was taken with the target laying on my tailgate and from an angle.. they're round.

BT53

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

As near as I can tell from a tight patch on my cleaning rod, it's an 8"er....

Due to the length of the 68 gr bullet, it can't be seated properly at .010 to .020 off the rifling and still fit the mag box. So it's seated about .050 off-or about where most factory loads are loaded. I can load long to the chamber and just single feed to see if that makes any difference ( I doubt it ).

BT53

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Is it the same box/lot of bullets that shoot great in another rifle?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
Top target shows a quick 3 shot group with the 60gr V-Max out of my new Tikka T3XSL in .223, 1:8.
Below the group is a single keyhole bullet hole, a 68gr BTHP from Hornady. These shoot great out of another rifle, so I was super surprised to see them perform so badly. The group was shot at 100 yds, while the keyhole came at 25 yds during initial sight in....
The lower target is 4 shots from my old RAR 1:8 and the 68gr BTHP, pushed by W748.

That's got to be frustrating. Is it a new lot of bullets? Keep an eye on that box in particular. I've had some bad lots of Hornady bullets that did the same thing. An 8 twist should stabilize that pill with no problem at all... Hopefully you get it figured out.. As a side note, if you find out those bullets are bad, Hornady is real easy to work with. They should send you a new box, or how ever many you have that are defective at no charge. At least that is what they did for me. That is if they are defective. Try them again in another rifle and see if they do the same thing.. Good luck with it...

Originally Posted by DCR48

No,no... several shots were taken. That one was convenient for a photo. Shots at 200 yards were landing two feet from the intended target, in any direction they wanted!

Originally Posted by BangPop

Laffin.... the photo was taken with the target laying on my tailgate and from an angle.. they're round.

Now come on. I recall someone here saying they stabilize better the further out they get. ha ha...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The hundred yard group was a different bullet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
The hundred yard group was a different bullet.

Yeah, looks like a 60gr v max. Maybe that was directed to someone else? Having had some issues with hornady bullets myself, I don't always like to point directly to twist rate. That's generally the first thing to look at, but sometimes its the bullet that is bad. The reason I asked if it was a new lot..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
8" twist should certainly be great since my lot of these bullets shoots great out of a 9" twist 700.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Bad lots of components do get out.

Years ago when RP went to crap I started buying Lapua for my 308 rifles. I measured the necks and they were consistently excellent. Time passed and I took the consistency for granted. Of course, it was then I got burned by an off lot of Lapua.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The bullets are all from a Midsouth purchase of 5 bags that I dumped together in another bin. So if it's a "lot" issue, I'll never be able to tell. They're not seconds - or if they are, it was not mentioned in their ad.

Yes, the 100 yard group is the 60 gr Vmax. I'm happy with that and have room to improve some.
The 68's shot very well out of my other rifle, the RAR

My .270 hates boattail bullets - maybe it's as simple as that.....I dunno - and yes it is frustrating!

I'm going to load a few 68's and 75's to just off the rifling and single load them to see what they will tell me.

Another interesting thing to me was the length of the 68's is not anywhere near as consistent as the 60's - so checking coal with calipers was making me crazy. The 60gr Vmax were much better.

BT53

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
something else to consider is that your rifle is a total POS like mine, only difference is mine is chambered in 22-250.
I have been buying, selling, hand loading for rifles and pistols for more than 40 years. my current Tikka t3x 22-250 1-8" is by far the biggest POS I have ever owned.......have bedded it and tinkered with it for quite some time and cant bring myself to sell it giving someone else the headache (guilty conscience).

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The bullets are all from a Midsouth purchase of 5 bags that I dumped together in another bin. So if it's a "lot" issue, I'll never be able to tell. They're not seconds - or if they are, it was not mentioned in their ad.

Yes, the 100 yard group is the 60 gr Vmax. I'm happy with that and have room to improve some.
The 68's shot very well out of my other rifle, the RAR

My .270 hates boattail bullets - maybe it's as simple as that.....I dunno - and yes it is frustrating!

I'm going to load a few 68's and 75's to just off the rifling and single load them to see what they will tell me.

Another interesting thing to me was the length of the 68's is not anywhere near as consistent as the 60's - so checking coal with calipers was making me crazy. The 60gr Vmax were much better.

Alan,

If possible, can I get some of those from you and try them out in my Howa mini in 223? I think it is a one in 9, but I've had real good luck with those 68 grain Bullets from Hornady. Might just show they are a bad batch, dumped at MidSouth to get rid of....

I have a 1 in 7 twist I could certainly test them out in also...

If you can get ahold of some Sierra or Nosler 69 grain Match bullets it would be interesting to compare..

My two Howa Minis, stabilize the 68BTHPs, the 73 ELDs the 75 ELDs and AMaxes, and the 75BTHPs all just fine...

So does my Ruger with the one in 7 twist....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by boatanchor
something else to consider is that your rifle is a total POS like mine, only difference is mine is chambered in 22-250.
I have been buying, selling, hand loading for rifles and pistols for more than 40 years. my current Tikka t3x 22-250 1-8" is by far the biggest POS I have ever owned.......have bedded it and tinkered with it for quite some time and cant bring myself to sell it giving someone else the headache (guilty conscience).

Too bad Beretta has a bad track record for customer service too.. What else can you do? I hear you about selling a pos to someone else. I am the same way. I'd rather keep a pos, unless its under full disclosure that they know what they are buying. Then its not as bad because they know what they are getting when they make the purchase and your conscience can rest easy.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,044 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,760
Posts18,495,496
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.