Hop To
K
KNC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Hello,
I have a bubba'd Ishapore 2a1 that is a shooter, but I do not like the sights (front or back, actually). I am not going to put a scout scope on it, and I do not want any kind of scope on it really. But the old British and Australian aperture sights that were designed for this rifle are achieving the status of unobtainium these days. I have heard of a little add-on aperture that sells on Ebay that goes in place of the rear sight notch, but I cannot say that I like that one. I have seen pictures of homemade rear peeps located on the charging bridge or thereabouts. Can anyone post pictures of homemade ones they have managed?
Thanks much. K

Thinking is not a team sport. I do not f**king care who you voted for, and keep your g**dam religion to yourself.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the same rifle. Yes, the sights stink big time.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got an Ishapore 308 imported by Gibbs Rifle company, sold by J&G in Shotgun News for $69.95 in 1999.
I cleaned pounds of Cosmoline off the rifle and was criticized for not leaving the stock Cosmoline in place.

I further added a non invasive Federal Arms Corp steel scope mount.

Back then the ATF had not put FAC federal Arms corp, out of biz.
They sold scope mount for the Ishy, that they probably imported from China.

If I were to make one from scratch, it would look like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264027619969
But that would be saving 10 cents per hour on my time.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
K
KNC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Good to hear, kwg. I didn't really think I was alone in this, but it is still good to have some validation from someone else in the same boat. Now for some potential solutions to the problem...anyone?
Thanks, K

Thinking is not a team sport. I do not f**king care who you voted for, and keep your g**dam religion to yourself.
K
KNC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Clarkm,
Does that scope mount wrap around the barrel somehow? Is the receiver tapped? If I decide in the end that a peep would be too much of a pain, this kind of thing might be the way I go even if it means I will have to adapt the comb height to the newly elevated sight line. But if that scope mount is just held on by some sort of pinching action screw setup, has it held up to recoil over time for you? Seems like it might be fragile, but if you say it is good then I might take a look if a peep doesn't work out.
Thanks, K

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KNC
Clarkm,
Does that scope mount wrap around the barrel somehow? Is the receiver tapped? If I decide in the end that a peep would be too much of a pain, this kind of thing might be the way I go even if it means I will have to adapt the comb height to the newly elevated sight line. But if that scope mount is just held on by some sort of pinching action screw setup, has it held up to recoil over time for you? Seems like it might be fragile, but if you say it is good then I might take a look if a peep doesn't work out.
Thanks, K

No, it is non invasive.
Here are views from both sides of the front ring.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I made an invasive enfield base [bad for collectors, good reliability for hunters] 20 years ago that was not as good as the one Steve Redgwell made earlier and had on his enfield web site.
A million guys know more than me about enfields, but he is the only one I can name, and he is on this forum.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nice, Clark.

I too am awaiting to see if any solutions for an aperture sight pop up.

I snagged a cherry No.2 Mk IV.22 trainer recently. (Picture a .303 No.1 Mk III, but in .22.) I bit the bullet and bought a vintage BSA aperture rear sight for it. Jeez, it cost almost 1/3 what the gun cost but it was only money, so they say, and now I can wring much better accuracy out of it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Saw a gentleman at our local range with an 30-06 cartridge head epoxied to the receiver of some military rig with the primer knocked out. Said POI as about 2 ft left of center, so he just held off.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/08/22.

1Minute
K
KNC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Cool! Any gun nuts and bolts sentence that has "30-06 cartridge" and "epoxy" in it is going to get my attention (for better or worse). I have seen a peep made of filed light angle iron that looked pretty hoopty. I saw another one that looked as professional as can be made out of...wait for it...filed light angle iron that was cold blued. And I saw a really cool looking one made out of the sling swivel mount of a Mauser of some kind. I will be honest, I get a real kick out of that kind of creativity. Hence my original post question...

K

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have one of the unobtanium sights. A parker hale PH5A. My suggestion, making some assumptions on your skill level: Buy a Williams sight. Perhaps for the Winchester 94? I think if in doubt Brownell may have drawings or the williams website or make calls, I tend to make a "best guess". That is Step 1, buy a reasonable over the counter rear peep with a flat side-mounting surface.

Step 2, fabricate from heavy sheet metal, a base that attaches the same as my PH5A. Then you be "the man" and come back and post your results. smile

Attached Images
RearSight_resize.jpg (32.12 KB, 79 downloads)
IC B3

K
KNC Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Cool! I have two little kids under 5, so any clever projects like you suggest will have to be broken up into 15 minute blocks. But still, the idea is a good one. I am guessing that one or all of the three screws that appear to secure your PH5A are longer than the normal screws that belong in those locations? I wonder if the threading and size of those are easy to find...
Thanks for the idea!
K

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All Posts Made By Steve Redgwell on 24HCF
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/userposts/id/677

He has a web site:

https://303british.com/

[Linked Image from 303british.com]

Look how good a job Steve did back when the internet was in its infancy over 20 years ago.

Now look at the primitive work I was doing 20 years ago.

[Linked Image]
My screws don't match.
[Linked Image]

That is why I am a big fan of 24HCF member Steve Redgwell.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by KNC
Cool! I have two little kids under 5, so any clever projects like you suggest will have to be broken up into 15 minute blocks. But still, the idea is a good one. I am guessing that one or all of the three screws that appear to secure your PH5A are longer than the normal screws that belong in those locations? I wonder if the threading and size of those are easy to find...
Thanks for the idea!
K

That is a hard question because I got the gun with the sight installed. I found this explanation with a Google search. He says it is easy. It is a little more involved than I expected. I found out these can be odd ball threads when I replaced my ejector. I though my sight reused the original screws. So, I was told. Maybe not. I know there was a piece removed and replaced with a spring. I got that collar piece someplace.

I forgot. Note, that to remove the bolt, a part of the sight is lifted out. I think the Williams has a set screw so that you can do that and return to zero. Keep in mind when selecting your rear sight.

https://www.enfield-rifles.com/parker-hale-for-2a1_topic8602.html.

Attached Images
Install.jpg (27.09 KB, 66 downloads)
Last edited by fourbore; 03/08/22.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
This forum has some very knowledgeable people spread across Great Britain. Many shooters, not just collectors. Both. Even one member from India who has inside knowledge of the armory work done there.

https://www.gunboards.com/forums/the-lee-enfield-forum.55/

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Nice, Clark.

I too am awaiting to see if any solutions for an aperture sight pop up.

I snagged a cherry No.2 Mk IV.22 trainer recently. (Picture a .303 No.1 Mk III, but in .22.) I bit the bullet and bought a vintage BSA aperture rear sight for it. Jeez, it cost almost 1/3 what the gun cost but it was only money, so they say, and now I can wring much better accuracy out of it.

The beast.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I marked up the image posted by gnoahh to show how the PH5A is installed.

Attached Images
Install2.jpg (28.87 KB, 34 downloads)
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks, nicely done. I would say the PH5A is the Cadillac of sights for these rifles. I had one on a Lithgow No.1 Mk III a few years back. This BSA sight I pictured is very nice but not quite in the same league as the PH5A, IMO.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 22250rem, 160user, 52 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,153
Posts18,502,906
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.