Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi all. I got drawn for moose in a new zone this year and I was going to go do some scouting next weekend. Most of the scouting will be checking out cutlines in an area and looking for sign off of a quad. I'm thinking I'll take my 4 year old son with me for the two days I'm going. Deer and grouse seasons are already open, and while he can't hunt yet I think he will enjoy himself. I was wondering if any of you with young ones have some tips on how to keep them entertained while hunting. This will be his first hunting trip and our first time camping just the two of us. I want him to have a good time and hopefully start appreciating nature more. Any little tips you all might have to make it more fun for him would be great. Thanks.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the weather is cold, be sure he's got lots of hot chocolate and warm fingers and toes.

Nobody took me hunting when I was little, but I did go camping a few times and I remember that even though I had tons of fun, I didn't like having cold toes, in the mornings especially.

You're a great dad for getting your boy started out early, hope you guys have a lot of fun and build memories to last a lifetime. Don't forget to take pictures!! grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gameboy...

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah, we haven't got into the video game thing yet. I'm actually trying to keep my son away from them for the most part. I have a younger cousin who got in on that and I don't want my boy to turn out like him.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do ya have a set of the small cheap binos?? If ya do, have him carry and use them. Kids love to see things. How the hell have you been?? Haven't seen ya post for a while. Btw, a small anchor may be desired!! GRIN

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. SamSteele:
I�ll start by saying good for you for taking your son hunting.
If you read any of my posts on the subject you will see I�m very passionate about this particular cause.
With that in mind, I have a couple ideas to throw out that have been key our success with taking our kids hunting.
We were always willing to turn around and alter plans up to and including going home at any time during the hunt, especially when the kids were younger. A scouting trip or grouse run is a great start. Low pressure for everyone, emphasis on fun.
Have your son help pack and plan for the trip. I have great fun with this, having the girls pack lunch for all of us on day trips. Sometimes I get a surprise food item, but it helps to have them be a part of the planning. Also less, "but you know I don�t like���"from them.
Binoculars would be good, Canadian Tire specials are OK, I still do most of the glassing, but that is changing as well. I also supplied them with fanny packs and had them help stuff them. Again it�s the spirit of the pack, not the contents. We hunted with stuffed bears, etc. Stuffies are survival stuff too, right?
As Ms. ShootingLady said, lots of clothes, even on the day hunts, spare everything X2!
My kids were results oriented, so if you can shoot a grouse, or other small game, have your son help clean and even cook it if he wants, or again not if he doesn�t. Let him poke a stick in the intestines or what have you. Oh, BTW, both our girls love to help gut stuff now�.bonus!
Try to keep it moving for most kids. Do lots of different things, look at tracks, scat, birds, trees, whatever comes to mind.
My last posts on kids hunting were in General Big Game, �what�s your most prized trophy�. I posted a photo of what can happen if you start taking your kids with you.
I�ll post a couple other photos, old scans from awhile back, which are a few of the above described �grouse runs�.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
All the best in this Mr. SamSteele, feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good idea about the little binos. Maybe a magnifying glass too, so he can look at moss and stuff up close. (not dry leaves in direct sun though..)

BC30cal,
I just love those pictures, the one sitting on the deer is a classic, they look so happy! grin Looks like you raised the girls right.. good on you, sir.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My boys pretty much entertain themselves, but they have each other to mess with.

Ditto on agreeing to go home at ANY time. Any time you HAVE to be somewhere, it's not fun anymore. I found a place to take my boys this year that's 10 minutes from home for just that reason.

Sometimes you don't have to leave, just stop what you're doing and ask what they would rather do...a game of hide and seek or rock throwing contest can distract them enough to salvage the trip.

Good luck,
Blue

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When I was lil I got to bring a lil one pump bb gun with me. That ussually kept me entertained. I was 5 or 6 when that was though, 4 might be a lil young. + 1 on the binoculars an spare clothes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ms. ShootingLady:
Glad you enjoyed the photos.
While kids can be interesting and challenging at times, I wouldn�t have missed it for anything. We�re trying to raise them right, but its not a simple task is it?
I suppose time will ultimately tell, but so far so good.
Thanks for the kind response.
Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 09/16/07. Reason: typo yet again...

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Snacks, snacks, and more snacks. And a monocular is easier to navigate for the little guys. Don't set the bar too high, either. One miserable trip and you'll have a hard time getting them back out. I usually dress a layer or two lighter than my kids to help me determine when it's too cold.

And another rule we have is they have to tell me about every little scratch, bump, or owee they get when we're in the field. I want to know about it, even if it's little. Sometimes kids try to tough it out and things can get real miserable if you're back in somewhere a ways.

Until my boys fit into a backpack they wore a fanny pack slung diagonally across their body. That seemed to make all parties happier than having them wrestle with a backpack. The little packs suck and the big packs were too big.

Good luck!

Dave

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Kids are going to be kids. I needed to change my approach and attitude a bit when my sons were younger. Didn't push as hard, didn't stay in one spot too long. Made sure they were involved (the small binos or a small scope is a great idea). Made sure there were snacks, a good lunch, and didn't get upset when they fell asleep right there on the ground.

Keep 'em warm & dry. That helps a lot. Protecting the child is very important, as is keeping them happy and involved.

When the boys were real young, I often limited my hunts to a half day, or would hunt the morning and evening, but find something else fun to do mid-day. Something involving lunch... Fishing is a possibility too.

Actually kind of miss those days as my two boys are almost as tall as me now, and fully capable of hunting on their own. Am pleased that they're also my two best outdoor buddies ever. You're doing a very good thing, getting the youngster into the field.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
An absolutely great topic and wonderfull pics 'n comments, folks.
I too, was raised in a different era. A good portion of the entire school was expected to be absent for deer and elk seasons. Our school work was often assigned a week or two in advance, to avoid falling too far behind.
Occasionally, on the ride home,, the school bus driver would allow a neighbor kid and myself to dash into the house, grab our hunting gear, rifle, blaze orange, knife, ect. and hop "back on the bus", to catch a ride a couple miles up the road. Where we would get off and hunt our way back home.
Can you imagine the stir that would cause now days??
I've been getting the grandson out of school for the opening week of elk season, since he started attending preschool. .. BUT..his grades must be "good".
He turned 9 this year, and has been tromping the heels of my boots for 4 years in the hills hunting. He has been right up to his elbows in elk 'n deer bellies, waded icey rivers, froze his butt off sitting on post, sweated in the stubble fields of Kansas/CO. His presence has likely cost me an animal or two, but I don't regret a single second of it.
He shoots his single shot Bakial 12 as well as many of the adults I've hunted with. He averages about 15 of 25 on thetrap range. Has bagged his own phesants, dove, band tailed pigeons, rabbits and squirrel. Getting to be a "hand" with the 10/22 to.
I've managed to harvest my fair share of game over the years, but nothing has given me greater pride and elation, than his very first kill. In his words..."I ground pounded him Papa."

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

"Death ain't nothin' but a speckled pony, that ain't never been rode"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. yallerdog1:
Thank you sir for taking the time with your grandson.
That left photo is a keeper for sure! I love the expressions. I can�t tell who looks like they are having more fun, why even the dog is grinning!
As I�ve said before, I believe we can�t calculate how important it is for us to pass on this vital heritage. Well done!
As an aside, my first 12ga was a Baikal, traded a bolt action .410 for it. I think it was about $15 boot I gave, but it was awhile ago.
One time I decided I didn�t want to carry it loaded with the safety on, so I put in a shell, pulled the trigger while holing the latch lever behind the trigger guard and slowly released the latch. I was remembering rule #1, so when it went off all that happened was the flock of geese we were sneaking up on flew off����..good memories there.
Thanks again for your response and again a bigger thanks for taking the time and energy to take out your grandson.
A tip of the hat to you sir!
Dwayne

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
hee hee...Thank YOU.....and those are some pretty happy faces on those girls there too, Dwayne...BIG smiles! laugh says it all.
I can't agree more. It is our 'hope' for the future of the sport..."women" AND children..
so I put in a shell, pulled the trigger while holing the latch lever behind the trigger guard and slowly released the latch.

I read that could be done..in the "Owners Manual". I have done it without a chambered shell. Just to relieve the spring tension for storage, but I didn't like the .."feel" of it, well enough to attempt it with a shell chambered. It just felt dangerous..;)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have always tried to be rather careful with my kids to make sure they are comfortable enough not to have a poor experience. With challenging tasks - (at least for me)- like moose hunting, I have always avoided conditions where I would have split my attention between making sure the kid(s) are comfortable (and safe) and getting the animal taken care of.

This is how hard I was willing to hunt (moose) with two kids, a 3 1/2 and a 5 1/2 year old:

[Linked Image]
(Bear in mind that these are American years, not Canadian. I'm not sure of the conversion! wink )

Notice what they are doing. Little bellies kept entertained will tend to carry over into the outlook of the youngsters.

Bear in mind that these youngsters have had many hunting experiences. Small game tends to prevent boredom since it allows more opportunities to see and touch. I rather like the young ones along when hunting snowshoes as they can often walk or crawl across snow which requires snow shoes for an adult. They also have a lot of enthusiasm when it comes to retrieving the floppers.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes hunting small game even offers bigger opportunities which can be important to the youngsters.

[Linked Image]

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Full bellies and full game bags!! and a pretty pretty kitty to pet!
They sure look like..Happy "healthy" kids..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great pictures, Klikitarik!

BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great photo's!

Scott

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. Klikitarik:
I know I�ve already given you the customary tip of the hat and a "very well done sir" for taking your kids hunting, in the Alaska section. But if my fellow members will allow me, I�d like to repeat it.
Very fine photos those are, and even better memories.
Nice work all around.
Dwayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (300_savage, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, AdventureBound, 12 invisible), 4,135 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,810
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.