Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Brian Pearce article on “45 Colt +P Medium Frame Sixguns” was greatly appreciated by me. In his article, he mentioned some appropriate revolvers that fit in this category. I have an Uberti 1873 and a Cimarron 1873. The Uberti is a much finer revolver in my opinion. I bought the Cimarron sight unseen - mistake. After taking care of the proud metal in some places and proud wood in others it shoots ok.
Mr. Pearce mentioned the Uberti to be in the “capable of +P revolvers”, but he didn’t mention the Cimarron.
I suspect that the Cimarron might fit in this category, but I’d like to know what experts know.
Thanks.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/09/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Any “true” 1873 Replica is NOT a plus P rated gun.
Read Elmer Keith. He blew up several trying to load them to + P velocities.

And most Cimarron Revolvers I’ve seen were merely Uberti mfg guns that Cimarron slicked up.

If you want to load hot 45 Colt loads, by a Ruger Blackhawk.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I guess it depends upon the definition of +P.

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/bullets-brass-0

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I sure's heck wouldn't hot rod any peacemaker repro, no matter what was stamped on the barrel. That's pretty much asking for a steel sandwich for breakfast.

I know Cimarron's lever rifles are all made by Uberti (I have an 1873 short rifle in 45 Colt that I'm currently fighting with for accuracy) and I think you are correct that they make all the handguns, as well.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I saw an idiot at a local range who “hot rodded” his Uberti SAA. Blew off the top strap and top 3 cylinders.
Stuck chunks of metal in the roof above.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I blew up a brass frame Pietta 1851 Navy repro, and it's nothing I'd ever like to repeat ever again. Once was plenty for me.

I didn't overload it. The timing had gotten a little loosey goosey from shooting the crap out of it, and I ended up splitting a chamber and bending the frame when a ball didn't line up on the bore 100%. Ball was still stuck at the end of the cylinder with a big gouge in it.

I know I junked the rest of it, but I think I still have the cylinder laying around somewhere.

Last edited by zcm82; 03/09/22. Reason: addition
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I think there's a distinction between the 23,000psi loads listed in the article and the Ruger/ TC only loads listed in manuals that can run 30,000psi or 32,000cup.

An inspection of the Cimmaron, in particular, the location of the bolt stop notches may help for a judgement call.

A 250gr lead slug at 850 to 900 fps is pretty potent.
Lead bullets can be easier on the gun.

I have a Ruger NMBH that I load for. I don't load too much heat for it in difference for the hands that hold it. :-)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bugger
Brian Pearce article on “45 Colt +P Medium Frame Sixguns” was greatly appreciated by me. In his article, he mentioned some appropriate revolvers that fit in this category. I have an Uberti 1873 and a Cimarron 1873. The Uberti is a much finer revolver in my opinion. I bought the Cimarron sight unseen - mistake. After taking care of the proud metal in some places and proud wood in others it shoots ok.
Mr. Pearce mentioned the Uberti to be in the “capable of +P revolvers”, but he didn’t mention the Cimarron.
I suspect that the Cimarron might fit in this category, but I’d like to know what experts know.
Thanks.

LOL...

The vast majority of Cimarron Model P 1873's are made by Uberti. grin

I DO NOT consider them a +P handgun in .45 caliber.

Brian is a friend of mine, and I believe he stated the Uberti's made after 1990 were in that category. But a reloader assumes his own risks, and that includes assuming when a firearm was made.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The load I shoot in my 1873 clone and my model 25 S&W is 253 grain flat point - wide meplate - with GC’s & 9.8 grains unique. The bullet resembles a Keith style or maybe a Thompson style bullet. This load, I think, is not high pressure, probably Category I.

I think Mr. Pearce is defining several categories. In this article it was up to 23,000 psi or category II.

And as Rockinbbar wrote it’s post 1990 clones that Mr. Pearce specified. I guess that would include my Cimarron. In another location there was a picture of category II revolvers which included the Uberti (not the Cimarron) but I didn’t remember the portion of the article where he made a more specific statement on what belongs in this category, thanks for Rockinbar in pointed it out.

Thanks again for the response. I should have re-read the article before posting.

For many years my revolvers were 357 or 44 Mag. I am appreciating the 45 Colt more these days.

You can tell Mr. Pearce for me that I’m enjoying his articles.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/09/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is there anything to be gained when loading +P .45 Colt over mid to upper tier loads when shooting cast? Na

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B3

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Is there anything to be gained when loading +P .45 Colt over mid to upper tier loads when shooting cast? Na

Flatter shooting I suppose. It’s nice to know limits though.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Don't some of the Ubertis come with an extra 45acp cylinder?
The 45 colt cylinders should be able to handle the tier 2 loads.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Lar45
Don't some of the Ubertis come with an extra 45acp cylinder?
The 45 colt cylinders should be able to handle the tier 2 loads.

You are correct, and I think that was exactly Mr. Pearce's point for the Category 2 loads.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Earlyagain
I think there's a distinction between the 23,000psi loads listed in the article and the Ruger/ TC only loads listed in manuals that can run 30,000psi or 32,000cup.

An inspection of the Cimmaron, in particular, the location of the bolt stop notches may help for a judgement call.

A 250gr lead slug at 850 to 900 fps is pretty potent.
Lead bullets can be easier on the gun.

I have a Ruger NMBH that I load for. I don't load too much heat for it in difference for the hands that hold it. :-)

Ding, ding, ding... Hence my previous post.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kinda old school about this. Why would anyone load ammo for an old gun and add P? Seems like ignition would be iffy.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where/ when was the article published? He had a similar article years ago that I've saved in my reloading reference material. I'll look for it and let you know when/ where it was published if anyone is interested.

God Bless America
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It is in the April 2022 Handloader in the Pet Loads section page 32

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Kinda old school about this. Why would anyone load ammo for an old gun and add P? Seems like ignition would be iffy.

Agreed, especially since there are quite a few newer powders out there now that will give you pretty good velocity in 45 Colt while still coming in under the 14,000 line. That makes hotrodding antique designs seem even less attractive, imho.

Last edited by zcm82; 03/10/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Handloader #217, June 2002

God Bless America
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by zcm82
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Agreed, especially since there are quite a few newer powders out there now that will give you pretty good velocity in 45 Colt while still coming in under the 14,000 line. That makes hotrodding antique designs seem even less attractive, imho.

In the article he points out there are guns +P loads should not be used in, Colt SAA for example. He also lists guns that these loads are safe in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,618 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,940
Posts18,498,902
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.