Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Anyone heard anything about the BC government and the treaty 8 fiasco in northern BC ? Got a call from an old friend who happens to be one of the premier outfitters in northern BC and also owns the charter company we use for the lodge. He told me that they just lost all their moose and caribou in region 7. He said the government gave everything to the FN involved in treaty 8. Apparently all the outfitters in that zone will get to share a total of 65 moose tags. In his case its going to cost him about 650,000 a year. Tough pill to swallow...

An average year about 6000 moose hunters hunt that region so those hunters will be moving to other regions which will of course increase pressure there. Apparently the minister has admitted the decision wasnt based on science.

GB1

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
During this entire time of Wuhan, the treaty team has been working full time on fugging all residents of the Province. Don't worry too much about everyone going to another area of the Province to hunt because they will close them too, book it.

Sadly, we have been sold out by a globalist agenda, is it clear yet? We have the worst government in the Country, our only hope are the ones who sold us out. The way I look at it is.........it is going to be like a bench clearing brawl when we go off, alot of enemies,, and in fact we are surrounded by them.

The link here is where to have a look if they want you to see it, it is only posted when they have reached an agreement in principle, if at all....just a bit at a time so as to not sound any alarms.
https://www.bctreaty.ca/

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
It's all the talk at Corlanes and other outdoor stores for sure.
Last we heard was a total of 600 LEH will be issued, and out of that the outfitters will get whatever the government decides is their share.
Governments and UNDRIP are killing this province.
See you up In the Yukon..Yukon...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Yep.
1200 moose killed annually out of a population of 45000 in 7B, and the NDP gave Treaty 8 a 50% reduction in harvest as a peace offering without them even asking for it.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by eric123
It's all the talk at Corlanes and other outdoor stores for sure.
Last we heard was a total of 600 LEH will be issued, and out of that the outfitters will get whatever the government decides is their share.
Governments and UNDRIP are killing this province.
See you up In the Yukon..Yukon...

We wont be far behind BC. The outfitter I have guided for since the early 90s is fighting for numbers right now. He actually sold out last fall and only has one more season to operate before the new owner takes over. The quotas they are forcing on him will have a direct impact on the purchase price of his business.

He says there is no future in outfitting. The government is making it so hard to stay in business he says its just not worth it anymore. We are going to see a lot of outfitters in BC fold up now, and a lot in Yukon are planning their exit strategy.

IC B2

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I remain sympathetic to the G/O, my thoughts are with the resident hunters who are also getting screwed. The industry is an important economic and cultural driver in the Province and Country, and there is enough for all, sad. I really dont know where to start because everything I hear from the top down is a complete lie.

Treaties in bc could be the ruin for sportsman in the Province, but because we were not privy to the backroom deals we don't know. We have the BCWF who is the rep for hunters in bc, it has 40,000 members in a Province of 100,000 hunters. They are the official reps, trouble is, they only really rep 1-2% of the hunting community, those are the ones who actually join on their own, the rest are born into a membership because they join a sportsmans club etc....so the numbers are skewed, and its total bs, hunters have been set up for failure.

20 years ago I was saying all this was going to spread to the rest of the Country because the Indians in other Provinces were not going to be happy with their 130 year old treaties for ammo and tobacco, meanwhile treaties in bc award billions lol.
They will achieve their end in the courts.

Watching it unfold has been very odd, Indians not wanting to get over trauma is truly sickening, handing pain and anguish for their children in perpetuity is one of the most vile and shameful things I can think of to do to your children and community.

The treaties are the result of a judge getting it wrong.

The way native governance is set up in this Country is one of total dictatorship, and the average indian dude has no idea of what go's on. My Indian buddies were/are concerned for their future living in a community at large that hates you for your royalty of being in a position of lording over other human beings, for this reason, there will be trouble, and I for one am going to sit back and watch the show, you will reap what you sow.

I will always hunt, there will always be something to hunt, I hear this from almost every hunter I know.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wildlife management in BC has been nothing but political for years. GD

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Treaties are all about people management, not game.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have not, but generally have take a leave of news of any kind .
I will look into it now, everything is so politicized these days, most special interest groups are highly organized and urban based.
Hunters, shooters , Rodeo and Ranching are groups of people that tend toward independence.
My little old opinion.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 69 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,452 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,166
Posts18,484,492
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.