Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mach3
Originally Posted by Ky221
๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ the lupo.

Laugh all you want. That's what I thought until I shot one. No, it's not a good looking rifle, but I guarantee you would be in disbelief by how accurate it is.

I would buy one in a second. I love it

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I wouldn't buy anything on your list , no offense intended. I have had all but the Lupo and that is an abortion.

Well let's hear what you would prefer. Also, what didn't you like about the X Bolt? I honestly have never heard anyone say they don't like it.

If you don't like dissenting opinions then don't start a thread like this.

Look at the back of an Xbolt action , you notice the flimsy little rod sticking out with a plastic ball bearing on it that keeps bolt slop to a minimum for starters. Trigger sucks, I like older Model 70's not the new stuff with that MOA trigger, Tikka is a great value, I own one which I would never get rid of , too bad it is imported by Beretta which I now avoid like the plague for any product they make.

Lupo, multiple parts cobbled together in a Lego fashion. What a [bleep]-ing disgrace to rifle design, You like it because it shoots LMFAO , I can outshoot it any day of the week with my Weathervby Accumark in 257 wby.

M
Mach3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I wouldn't buy anything on your list , no offense intended. I have had all but the Lupo and that is an abortion.

Well let's hear what you would prefer. Also, what didn't you like about the X Bolt? I honestly have never heard anyone say they don't like it.

Look at the back of an Xbolt action , you notice the flimsy little rod sticking out with a plastic ball bearing on it that keeps bolt slop to a minimum for starters. Trigger sucks, I like older Model 70's not the new stuff with that MOA trigger, Tikka is a great value, I own one which I would never get rid of , too bad it is imported by Beretta which I now avoid like the plague for any product they make.

Lupo, multiple parts cobbled together in a Lego fashion. What a [bleep]-ing disgrace to rifle design, You like it because it shoots LMFAO , I can outshoot it any day of the week with my Weathervby Accumark in 257 wby.

Never said I didn't like your opinion. Where did you get that assumption from? I have no problem with it. I knew I would get a ton of different answers on this which is why I started the thread to see what everyone liked.

My opinion is that the X-Bolts have the best trigger of any other hunting rifles I have. No creep and they break like glass right at 2lbs. I agree with the M70. I have one in 30-06 that was made in the 70s. Nothing wrong with rifles made in Japan. They are quality guns. I don't disagree with you about the Lupo, but I bet it's more accurate than anything in your safe shooting the same exact load.

Don't be so miserable.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Never said I didn't like your opinion. Where did you get that assumption from? I have no problem with it. I knew I would get a ton of different answers on this which is why I started the thread to see what everyone liked.

My opinion is that the X-Bolts have the best trigger of any other hunting rifles I have. No creep and they break like glass right at 2lbs. I agree with the M70. I have one in 30-06 that was made in the 70s. Nothing wrong with rifles made in Japan. They are quality guns. I don't disagree with you about the Lupo, but I bet it's more accurate than anything in your safe shooting the same exact load.

Don't be so miserable.

I don't care if you don't like my opinion.
Don't put up trolling posts and expect anything else. Miserable ? LOL its known as experience. I buy stuff to try out and if it doesn't fit it goes out the door with a couple of exceptions.

Enjoy the Benelli Lego you fit the narrative expressed by PT Barnum.

M
Mach3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

Don't be so miserable.

I don't care if you don't like my opinion.
Don't put up trolling posts and expect anything else. Miserable ? LOL its known as experience. I buy stuff to try out and if it doesn't fit it goes out the door with a couple of exceptions.

Enjoy the Benelli Lego you fit the narrative expressed by PT Barnum.

Wasn't "trolling". I get it, you're one of those old dudes who think they know what's best about everything and doesn't like anything modern. Carry on.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I own a Browning A-bolt in 300 WSM. It needs a recoil pad (kicks the crap out of me) but I still love it and carry it with confidence. Not my favorite though. I also have (or had) CVs, center fire and rimfire, Kimberโ€™s, Remingtons, Winchesters, Marlins and shot many other brands. Iโ€™ve bought three CVA Cascades in the last 18 months and they are by far my favorite and most shot rifles. Smooth actions, great triggers, accurate and they fit me great.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

What would you recommend?

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The Barrett Fieldcraft checked the boxes for โ€œbetter than mostโ€ for the type of rifle I prefer for hunting.

Shame it was discontinued.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Trystan

It sounds to me like he'd recommend not getting anything on the list, but I may be reading wrong.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

It sounds to me like he'd recommend not getting anything on the list, but I may be reading wrong.

Exactly.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
The Barrett Fieldcraft checked the boxes for โ€œbetter than mostโ€ for the type of rifle I prefer for hunting.

Yes , I wish they would bring them back .

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
1. Winchester 70 Featherweight
2. Remington 700 Classic
3. Ruger 77

Yep. Only I would purchase new old stock models of those listed above. Like my 80โ€™s model XRT Featherweight, And my many 700 Classics made in the 80โ€™s.

The only new Rugerโ€™s Iโ€™ve bought in years are the Ruger Scout in .308 and several Ruger Americans.
My only complaint on the Ruger Americanโ€™s is the cheap stock.

The only other rifle that I own thatโ€™s truly a new model is my Kimber Adirondack. Would definitely by another.
Itโ€™s the best lightweight rifle that I own.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molษ”ฬ€หn Labรฉ Skรฝla~
M
Mach3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

He's clearly asking what he recommends that is NOT on the list. Sheesh. Didn't know people were this damn shallow on here.

M
Mach3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

My brother had one for a while. Got offered a price he couldn't refuse. Regrets it now.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I guess for me Browning brand set itself apart in my earlier hunting days as the high gloss, high price, gold trigger, engraving & gimmick (the funky muzzle brake thing) gun maker. Ive always been a backcountry hunter and didnโ€™t look at guns like that as something that would work for my needs. All of my opinions are of the prior A-Bolt I or II series. But by then it was too late - I went to all the other brands and never looked back at Browning. Now, to me, they make all the bronze cerokote guns with high price tags that I canโ€™t really figure out why they are as expensive as they are. What am I getting over a Tikka T3x? Bronze cerokote, some fluting and a clever camo stock doesnโ€™t do it for me.

My buddy has an XBolt Hells Canyon in 300 Win Mag and he loves it so Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s just me but thought Iโ€™d add my .02

M
Mach3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
I guess for me Browning brand set itself apart in my earlier hunting days as the high gloss, high price, gold trigger, engraving & gimmick (the funky muzzle brake thing) gun maker. Ive always been a backcountry hunter and didnโ€™t look at guns like that as something that would work for my needs. All of my opinions are of the prior A-Bolt I or II series. But by then it was too late - I went to all the other brands and never looked back at Browning. Now, to me, they make all the bronze cerokote guns with high price tags that I canโ€™t really figure out why they are as expensive as they are. What am I getting over a Tikka T3x? Bronze cerokote, some fluting and a clever camo stock doesnโ€™t do it for me.

My buddy has an XBolt Hells Canyon in 300 Win Mag and he loves it so Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s just me but thought Iโ€™d add my .02

I understand what you're saying. There's nothing more purdy than a high gloss wood stock with a polished blued barrel, IMO, and Browning offers plenty of them. The funky muzzle brake thing....yes, their 360 muzzle brakes are a joke, but it's easy to find a quality aftermarket brake that works much better. The location of the safety is perfect and the bolt lock override button was basically invented by them. Great barrels. Great scope mounting options. There's nothing I don't like about the X-Bolt. I've owned both, and the Browning is greatly superior to a Tikka as far as build quality.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I think Sucko came out with a bolt release button on their model 85 in 2006 vs Browning X-bolt in 2008..I have owned several of both and would take the Browning over the Sucko though....Hb

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Yes , I wish they would bring them back .

The Barrett Fieldcraft is an over priced hunk of pure shiz. The Tikka will outfeed, outshoot, and outlast one for half the price with a better trigger, barrel, action, and all things mechanical

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
What would everyone say are the best out of the box?

Browning X-Bolt by a landslide for me. It has and does everything I need and want in a hunting rifle.

A few good honorable mentions:
Winchester M70
Tikka T3x
Benelli Lupo

I used to lean to tikka but Browning IMO has been stepping up to plate lately

The Barrett Fieldcraft however is an over priced boat anchor. A teeker or Browning will shoot circles around that overpriced hunk of shiz.....Lol

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The Barrett Fieldcraft is an over priced hunk of pure shiz. The Tikka will outfeed, outshoot, and outlast one for half the price with a better trigger, barrel, action, and all things mechanical

How much time have you spent behind the trigger of a fieldcraft?

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,292
Posts18,525,751
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.