Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Does anybody do this? Looks like it would have ample energy for hunting at subsonic velocities, and im already getting a 458 can to use on my 444. Thinking of getting a 16" 14 twist socom upper to run subsonic. Interested to hear what others are using, recommendations on ammo, issues this type of setup may have, etc. Thanks.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
We did a bunch of these 5-6 years ago... ARs, Remington 7 and 700s bolts SBRs.

There is a better forum.

.458SocomForums.Com

Read what "Big Bore" has written there for years... MASSIVE AMOUNT OF DATA/INFO.

If you need barrels made and see the name Paladen or Thomas... he is G2G...

Drop me a PM if you want to chat... WAY TOO MUCH TO TYPE.

FYI... there are ONLY 4 licensed reamers under Marty's patent... everything else is BS reverse engineered crap (DON'T GO THERE... fugg Wilson Combat... they cheat too!).

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by CashisKing
We did a bunch of these 5-6 years ago... ARs, Remington 7 and 700s bolts SBRs.

There is a better forum.

.458SocomForums.Com

Read what "Big Bore" has written there for years... MASSIVE AMOUNT OF DATA/INFO.

If you need barrels made and see the name Paladen or Thomas... he is G2G...

Drop me a PM if you want to chat... WAY TOO MUCH TO TYPE.

FYI... there are ONLY 4 licensed reamers under Marty's patent... everything else is BS reverse engineered crap (DON'T GO THERE... fugg Wilson Combat... they cheat too!).

Right on, im at sea right now on really awful, barely functional satellite internet. When i get home next month ill dig around on that website and ill holler at you if theres any info i want cleared up. Thanks for the tip.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
almost wish I had one, rather than 50 beowulf just due to cans. Seems they want quite a bit more for a 50 cal compatible suppressor.

As to chambers, as long as it works, it matters not really. There are almost always various versions of any "caliber" so to speak.

Long as you have a smith that knows whats going on with a certain type of round you will be fine. Doing an oddball from someone you don't know can be pretty iffy.

The idea of a big round moving a big bullet slow and quiet is pretty cool.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Photobucket took down the pics (except for the last page or two).

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12448930/2

I am still debugging the feed and magazine drama on the AR-10s (458 Lott chambering)... but the shorter .458 CAT will shine when she finally runs.

Loads in the bolt gun are WHISPER quiet. Thousands of rounds (bullet weights from 350 gr to 730 grain).

Shot shell loads (no can) in the future... might be fun as well.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have both a bolt action I put together from a Savage donor rifle and a AR. I have a Lane 458 can. I have been a little disappointed with how loud it is but I honestly somewhat lost interest and haven't played around with it for a few years. It is definitely a hand loader's proposition. I intended to use it for suburban deer hunting (i.e. my backyard) but found my integrally suppressed 77/44 much handier and quieter for that application.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Try the Maker Bullets 500 Grain Subsonic Expander in front of 17.0gr of Lil Gun. Spark it with a CCI 350. Should run right at 1050fps from a 10.5" barrel, 1:10 twist.
I usually use a Bowers Vers458 can, but it's pretty good size. The Lane is smaller but has a bit more of a high pitch sound to it.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Last edited by TonyRumore; 03/15/22.

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Photobucket took down the pics (except for the last page or two).

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12448930/2

I am still debugging the feed and magazine drama on the AR-10s (458 Lott chambering)... but the shorter .458 CAT will shine when she finally runs.

Loads in the bolt gun are WHISPER quiet. Thousands of rounds (bullet weights from 350 gr to 730 grain).

Shot shell loads (no can) in the future... might be fun as well.

Don't know that I"ve ever wanted a Lott. But a 416 Rem Mag on an AR10 at a decent weight or a 458 Win Mag or equivalent and I might be tempted to carry it for bear instead of my bolt gun 458. Weight is a HUGE issue though and AR10 are not light.

No need for a can, unless I can get noise down, keep gun short enough and have cold bay brown bear energy left. Of course has to be totally reliable and don't want a big mag hanging either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by TonyRumore
Try the Maker Bullets 500 Grain Subsonic Expander in front of 17.0gr of Lil Gun. Spark it with a CCI 350. Should run right at 1050fps from a 10.5" barrel, 1:10 twist.
I usually use a Bowers Vers458 can, but it's pretty good size. The Lane is smaller but has a bit more of a high pitch sound to it.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Tony is one of the four legit makers... You can trust anything he says.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Tony Rumore
Tromix

website?

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by rost495

Tony Rumore
Tromix

website?

Google

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Tromix

No mention I could see on website on 458 win mag, 458 Lott or 416 Rem possibly.

Thanks for the effort though. Its always worth a try to search.

Really wished the gun that did Garands in 458 Win Mag still did em and I could afford one.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Tromix

No mention I could see on website on 458 win mag, 458 Lott or 416 Rem possibly.

Thanks for the effort though. Its always worth a try to search.

Really wished the gun that did Garands in 458 Win Mag still did em and I could afford one.

My bad... I thought you were asking about .458 SOCOM.

.458WM et al is COAL too long for an AR-10... feed wise.

My stuff (.458 CAT) is a one off that I am doing for myself... When I am successful I will share the details on the builds... i.e. the uppers are built and fire, it is the feeding and mag that remain unsolved as an AR-10.

My guns are chambered as Lott (bullet jump is irrelevant in big bore)... That chambering gives me a strong first punch or shot shell potential

KAK makes a .450 Marlin upper https://www.kakindustry.com/kak-450-marlin-16-inch-barrel-upper

You will need a .532 bolt (i.e. magnum). https://www.kakindustry.com/lr-308-parts/magnum/kak-industry-bcg-mag

The only difference between .450 Marlin and .458 American is the belt height.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I thought the WM was too long. You said 458 Lott got me really wondering.

I think I get it now.

Will wait and see what you come up with.

Since we have 2 50 beowulf then a move forward has to be much positive not just minor positive and has to be brown bear charge stopping capable and lengthwise penetration capable as a guide.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You would need to use something like an Alex Pro MLR (Stretched AR-10) to build a semi-auto 458 Lott.
They make them in 26, 28, 30, and 33 Nosler, which are 30'06 length cartridges, but the magazine and bolt throw are both long enough to accommodate the 458 Lott and similar cartridges.

Tony

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting. I think that 416 Rem Mag would be the best of the worlds for my uses for brown bear.

I'll have to google. Never heard of stretched 10 and by that time I bet the weight kills the whole thing. I carry a Garand sometimes and thats about the max weight I want to deal with or the Rem 798 458 Win mag. Much heavier and its just a PITA.

I'm not after a Lott. OTOH if it costs no more and feeds 458 Win mag and Lott....

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
In theory, my AR-10 will eject a spent Lott brass (but have not tried that yet). Lott is 2.75" WM is 2.5" and American is 2", my CAT length varies (case length is unimportant). The only real advantage with my Lott chambering... is that you have some genuine first shot punch... or shot shell capability.

I can single feed a Lott or a WM as "first round"... followed by stuff in the max. COAL 2.800" size. Basically 45-70 +P level stuff. If that is enough punch for you... I would look at converting a Garand to 9,3 x 62 Mauser. 9,3 is more than capable of popping anything that walks... and feed reliability is more "guaranteed".

Two of these made (458 Lott)... one at 12" (IIRC) and this one at 18" (IIRC). Blood red... just in case any oops.

I need to get back to this project

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Interesting. I think that 416 Rem Mag would be the best of the worlds for my uses for brown bear.

I'll have to google. Never heard of stretched 10 and by that time I bet the weight kills the whole thing. I carry a Garand sometimes and thats about the max weight I want to deal with or the Rem 798 458 Win mag. Much heavier and its just a PITA.

I'm not after a Lott. OTOH if it costs no more and feeds 458 Win mag and Lott....

The big stuff is going to be complicated, heavy as sin and crazy expensive.

I like .458 SOCOM (I have built many) and currently own 4 or 5 of various lengths.

Tony invented a better round (IMHO)... .375 SOCOM. It is a real monster in an AR-15.

In fact, with the Sierra 2900s it is IDENTICAL to my .358 Winchesters... and I mean IDENTICAL... same bullet weight, same powder, same powder charge, same FPS (withing 10 FPS).

The only real delta is bullet BCs. The 358s stretch out a bit better at 500... I personally call the .375 SOCOM a 400 yard gun and the .358W a 500 yards gun.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Rost... The other potential option for you is the .375 Raptor.

It is a .358 parent case (necked out and shoulder lowered) with .375 bullets.

SO... short action or AR-10.

The powder is faster (and I will caution HOT WEATHER SENSITIVE... i.e. DO NOT SHOOT HOT LOADS ON A HOT DAY)... but the performance is very impressive (10 of 10 on 2 MOA steel at 400 yards (about the end of her legs on reliable accuracy with 270 grain RNs).

X-Caliber sells barrels... so does Arne's website. https://www.375raptor.com/resources/

In essence... .35 Whelen performance.

I am not personally fond of Arne's 45 Raptor.

Never met Arne, but hear tell his is a really great guy. Either way... VERY SMART... https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/10/21/new-308-based-cartridge-375-raptor/

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am working on a similar one now... 93Jimbo (tribute to a friend that passed back at Thanksgiving).

Similar to the Raptor in some ways, but hoping for 600 yards with 232 grain Normas in the .366 diameter.

We shall see.

Last edited by CashisKing; 03/23/22. Reason: Damn autocorrect typos

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks. Will check that out when I have time.

There was a good guy once, Arne. That developed the then 6.5 PPC, now Grendel. Probably not the same guy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.