Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Anyone ever spend some time at the Naval Training Center in San Diego? First person to respond with when and why, in this thread, I'll have something in the mail for you as soon as the ice melts. Once it's verified who was first, they can send me their address in a PM. After responses slow down, I'll post a pic of the item. This item dates to 20 August, 1957.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was doing field service at the Shipyard in Coronado in 2008, don't know if that qualifies!

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I checked in for Navy boot camp around March 1, 1966.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Boot camp at Great Lakes, then OCS in Newport, RI. I know those don't qualify!

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
I checked in for Navy boot camp around March 1, 1966.

Mike, you checked in at NTC, SD, correct. If so we'll give it a little time to see if anyone beat you there. Never mind, I didn't say who checked in first, I said who responded first! DING DING, your the winner. Send me you address in a PM. You want me to post a pic for every one to see, or do you want to see first?

Originally Posted by Blitz
I was doing field service at the Shipyard in Coronado in 2008, don't know if that qualifies!

Sorry Blitz, this item is San Diego specific.

OHOH, this might have to go to a panel of judges. Me not knowing Naval Stations, I had no idea where Coronado was? It's on this document. If it's pat of NTC, that would make Blitz the winner! I'll just post a pic, you guys might not even want it?

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
This is what happens when I get up at 4 in the morning, by 6 I'm so bored, I actually want to clean up my gun room. As I walk in, my C&R safe is to the left. I have so much stuff piled up on top of it, I usually knock the pile over before I turn on the light. On top of a bunch of 1860's news papers is a plastic box full of old pictures , cards, and stuff. From 6AM till now, 11:54, I've saved this one document and about ten hunting pictures. The map is about 2' long. If it's a toss up who is the winner, I'll have a frameable copy made.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by JoeMartin; 03/12/22.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I joined the Navy with a good friend from high school. We went to boot camp together and then off to different parts of the world afterward. We stayed in touch though and he was best man at my wedding and we viisited often throughout our lives. In 2016 we drove down to San Diego to find the old boot camp area. It is all apartments and condos now except for a small memorial park that was built around the Recruit Training Ship. He passed away yesterday so this is yet another fond memory of years past.

K
K
Thanks to both of you for your service.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The Coronado facility was not connected with NTC and is still in operation.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
went to San Diego, july 1959 to Treasure Island after boot, then Wes Pac tour in 1960, got a great ride back to the states via MATS. on a stretcher to Naval hospital Long Island N.Y. to Denver VA .

Last edited by texken; 03/12/22.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Lightfoot - sorry to hear that. Old and good friends are one of life's rarities. I hope you are doing well.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad shipped out of there in 1954 for the Philippines as a SeaBee. I've got a metric sht ton of memorabilia!

Nice map!

An armed society is a polite society.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went to boot camp at Great Lakes. Switched to the USMC when I got a commission. Went to Camp Pendleton, met wife at the MCRD, San Diego, officers club. Sea duty as the Combat Cargo Officer on the USS Mobile. Was all around the bases in San Diego but don't remember going to NTC.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Got it today. Thanks for the walk down Memory Lane!

It's about 65 miles down the road from where I retired.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Glad it brought back memories. My gun room is so full of stuff that I just can't bring myself to throw away. On the day I found that, I found a little poem book that was given to my Dad by one of his customers. It's signed by John Allen Heath. On the Copyright Page, all it has is Washinton DC, 1968. But, the cover illustration was done by Tony Straiges. I've found nothing on Heath, but Straiges is a set designer with credit for 17 Broadway Musicals. Maybe in 68 Straiges wasn't quite so famous, and just did the little book for a friend, who knows?

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While this is a great gesture, I'd love to have a copy of this for myself and a few friends who spent time in SD for the .mil, and I know FEDEX/Kinkos can make copies as large as 3' wide with their copiers for about $1 per SqFt. Let me know if you will make copies. Thanks

"Social order at the expense of Liberty is hardly a bargain” de Sade
"He who'll not reason is a Bigot, he who cannot is a Fool, and he who dares not is a Slave."SirWilliamDrummond

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,714
Posts18,494,515
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.