Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
If you are mostly riding flat dirt roads , moderate trails and black top around the neighborhood what gearing is best. I'm confused by all the offerings. I don't want to mountain bike, I just want to use the bike to get far away from parking on public land and we can't use E-bikes for that here. Should I consider what they call a hybrid bike?

There is a lot of overlap in bike categories. Hybrids can be anything from road bikes with flat bars to more upright bikes with a suspension fork. You can see the variation here:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/hybrid_bikes.htm

Something in the "adventure" category may be to your liking.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/elite_sport.htm

gearing? Do you have hills?

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 03/13/22.
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
very few hills and nothing real steep

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
very few hills and nothing real steep

Then pretty much any bike with some gearing will do.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you are mostly riding flat dirt roads , moderate trails and black top around the neighborhood what gearing is best. I'm confused by all the offerings. I don't want to mountain bike, I just want to use the bike to get far away from parking on public land and we can't use E-bikes for that here. Should I consider what they call a hybrid bike?

Right now 1x10 or 11 bikes are popular for that style riding. This means 1 chainring upfront and 10 or 11 gears/cogs in the back. I'm not sure what would be the right setup for a 1X system because I usually ride 2X or 3x setups. One of the mountain bike guys should be able to help you there.

Shimano has 2x11 in the Deore and SLX lineup and you should easily be able to find a gearing range to suit your riding.

If you aren't doing anything serious a used hardtail or rigid mountain bike can make a great bike to just ride around on. They make wide tires with just about any tread pattern from smooth to knobby.

I ride an old Specialized Hard Rock with Kenda Kwick tires on gravel a lot myself.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dodgefan

Right now 1x10 or 11 bikes are popular for that style riding. This means 1 chainring upfront and 10 or 11 gears/cogs in the back. I'm not sure what would be the right setup for a 1X system because I usually ride 2X or 3x setups. One of the mountain bike guys should be able to help you there.

Shimano has 2x11 in the Deore and SLX lineup and you should easily be able to find a gearing range to suit your riding.

If you aren't doing anything serious a used hardtail or rigid mountain bike can make a great bike to just ride around on. They make wide tires with just about any tread pattern from smooth to knobby.

I ride an old Specialized Hard Rock with Kenda Kwick tires on gravel a lot myself.

what do you mean by the 'right set up" for a 1x system?

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dodgefan

what do you mean by the 'right set up" for a 1x system?

Proper chainring in the front. Too small and you won't have much top end, but you'll be able to climb really well and with too big it's the opposite.

Last edited by dodgefan; 03/13/22.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
this is very entertaining, the wife left for a drive so she wouldn't say anything she regretted. Maybe the wife got tired of the husband complaining of him not being the center the attention, of her accent and her culture, and her parents (which by the way live half a world away and are rarely welcome to come visit) the wife works 10 and half hour days, drives two hours for work and still has to come home cook, clean and make sure she is in bed by eight 30 because her husband says he needs the sleep. yes also the other complain is that she wakes him up in the morning when she has to get up at 5 am to do it all over again. yes, also the three kids, yes she should be grateful that he took her in with three kids, especially when she solely supports them and has to attend every school event by herself because the husband is too stuck in the computer for hours on end visiting with his forum friends that do not care if lives or dies. bipolar, that was the last diagnoses for the second wife. respectfully a hard working woman that is fed up. thank you

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Deore components are mid range stuff that usually works well. When I bought stuff to build a bike I went with Deore XT outside of that I can't really comment. I think you should talk to Paul Barnard or one of the other guys that rides new stuff. I mostly ride old to really old bikes. Oldest is a late 60's setup as a single speed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's a pretty sweet bike. Good fork, good brakes. Deore is bombproof. I like the rack and use one on my mountain bike out west. The ergos are a bit sporty (forward lean might be uncomfy) but easily remedied with a stem swap.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If I was in the market for a new bike it would probably be this.

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/gorilla_monsoon_grx

Or a Surly ECR.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have this idea that I can get a deep in public land deer out by gutting him and putting the seat in the body cavity and the front legs over the handle bars and just walk the bike and deer out. Am I dreaming or would this work? Might be hard to get the deer up on the bike to start though.....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have this idea that I can get a deep in public land deer out by gutting him and putting the seat in the body cavity and the front legs over the handle bars and just walk the bike and deer out. Am I dreaming or would this work? Might be hard to get the deer up on the bike to start though.....

I ve done that before. It worked but was kind of a pain to get the deer properly mounted on the bike and you'll need a flat path. Getting it over logs was a pain. I use a single tire bike cart now

I tied the deer to the bike first while the bike was laying flat on the ground. I tried securing the bike to a small tree with rope and lifting the deer up on the bike. I thought the ground method was easier

Last edited by ribka; 03/13/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It would be very difficult to manage that top heavy a load.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've packed out 2 elk quarters at a time strapped to a mtn bike walking it out. It's a pain getting the load secured but worked ok.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Don’t have time to read through all the posts, but to the OP…skip the Hardtail. Full suspension designs have become so good/refined over the years they’re often faster and more efficient on any given trail than a HT…and a hell of a lot more fun and much easier on the body. Why beat yourself up just to save a few dollars. If cost is a concern, buy used. Tons of great used Fully’s on the market.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Same bike without $600 Rack and 2 less gears... https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...rlin-8/p/34649/?colorCode=bluedark_black

Versions down to the "6" model are worthy of modest trail riding. I prefer "Trail" geometry that sits you a little more upright like the Roscoe.

Last edited by centershot; 03/14/22.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGray
I've packed out 2 elk quarters at a time strapped to a mtn bike walking it out. It's a pain getting the load secured but worked ok.

I've carried out a couple bulls on mtn bikes. I just leave a quarter in the pack just like walking and hop on. As long as you are going downhill it's great.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
On the steep ascents I really appreciate the 12th gear in my 1x12 drive train. That extra gear can be a lifesaver if you have climbs at that are a challenge. Do you have the ability to try the 1x10 on some
Steeper grades before purchasing?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by IZH27
On the steep ascents I really appreciate the 12th gear in my 1x12 drive train. That extra gear can be a lifesaver if you have climbs at that are a challenge. Do you have the ability to try the 1x10 on some
Steeper grades before purchasing?

Buddy of mine has a bike with something like a 50 tooth large cog. I have no idea how steep of of a hill you'd need that in order to climb, but I think I'd probably be walking.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1minute, 1234, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 163bc, 63 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,788
Posts18,515,957
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.