Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Have a work trip coming up so I started looking at the sights to see, and realizing you’ll run out of time before you run out of options, I thought I would put it up here for some suggestions. Saw things like the International Spy Museum, Holocaust Museum, and of course the Smithsonian, but I figure there are some sights in DC that folks on this forum are aware of that might save me some time while I’m there, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My condolences, enjoy.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All the museums, monuments, Arlington Cemetery and Changing of the Guard, Tomb of the Unknown, Archives, ect. Air and Space in DC and Dulles. Plenty to see and do. Becareful if out past dark in DC.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
National Cryptologic Museum outside NSA Headquarters. Not govt., private, volunteer staff. Interesting displays and history. Enigma machine. Original artifacts from attacks on reconnaissance operations: flight gear from aircraft shot down, flag, skipper's MOH citation from USS Liberty. Replica of the honor wall, personnel lost. Original inside NSA, in a secure area not accessible to the public. Display of NVA listening post. Said they had some 2000 English speaking intercept operators. Took advantage of poor communications security, knew when the B-52s were coming.

Website says currently closed for renovations.

Correction: The display I referred to was the USS Liberty.

Last edited by Paul39; 03/15/22.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stop in at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and tell Joe to stop fugging everything up.

Thanks!

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it was me - I think I'd want to see the Tomb of the Unknown, The Wall and that's about it.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Paul39
National Cryptologic Museum outside NSA Headquarters. Not govt., private, volunteer staff. Interesting displays and history. Enigma machine. Original artifacts from attacks on reconnaissance operations: flight gear from aircraft shot down, flag, skipper's MOH citation from USS Pueblo. Replica of the honor wall, personnel lost. Original inside NSA, in a secure area not accessible to the public. Display of NVA listening post. Said they had some 2000 English speaking intercept operators. Took advantage of poor communications security, knew when the B-52s were coming.

THIS would be very cool.

Me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you're into military planes, Udvar Hazey out by Dulles airport is awesome! It's a ways out there but worth the trip. Wondering around the capital buildings is interesting too for the architecture, maybe even stop in your representative or senators office whether you like them or not, it's interesting.

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
The Korean war memorial is worth a look.

Old70

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Crosshair, post , and peep sights are favorites of many!

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nancy Pelosi- - - - -through some cross hairs!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Natural History Museum is a must see.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Paul39
National Cryptologic Museum outside NSA Headquarters. Not govt., private, volunteer staff. Interesting displays and history. Enigma machine. Original artifacts from attacks on reconnaissance operations: flight gear from aircraft shot down, flag, skipper's MOH citation from USS Pueblo. Replica of the honor wall, personnel lost. Original inside NSA, in a secure area not accessible to the public. Display of NVA listening post. Said they had some 2000 English speaking intercept operators. Took advantage of poor communications security, knew when the B-52s were coming.

THIS would be very cool.

First, I meant the USS Liberty, not the Pueblo, which was also an important incident. You could definitely relate to the museum, as did I. Very worthwhile. The display relating to the C-130 shot down over Soviet Armenia on 2 Sept 1958 was very close to home. Seeing the uniforms and returned artifacts of guys I might well have served with. Static display of a C-130 painted with the colors and tail number of the aircraft lost. A Navy plane as well. The majority of the reconnaissance personnel lost over the years were Navy.

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Be sure you take a trip down the street front of White House where all the homeless camped out....living in make shift tents, trash everywhere, drunks & dope heads everywhere, saw men and women pissing on the streets, taking a dump...can see the White House right behind them. We took a bus tour thru there probably 10 years ago....can only imagine how it is now. A sight to see and no one cares or does any thing about it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
went there as a kid with our family in the olden days.

Still remember Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument and that pool, Jefferson's memorial, we went to a couple of the surrounding deals too. Monticello and Mount Vernon.

No "Wall" there at that time, but we did see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

They were important things to an 8 year old American boy then.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you're there in the summer, the Marine Corps sunset parade on Tuesday evenings is a sight to see. It's held at the Iwo Jima Memorial.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure there a few colorful homeless encampments you can check out.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it was me - I think I'd want to see the Tomb of the Unknown, The Wall and that's about it.

Maybe Arlington for a good cry.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot

Maybe Arlington for a good cry.

Also when at Arlington, wander off into the old sections where no one else ever goes The peace and quiet are refreshing after all of the hustle and bustle of the city, and it is a great place to reflect on what Arlington stands for.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Wear hip waders, the Swamp is deeper than ever.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 6mmbrfan, 11 invisible), 1,004 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,123
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.