Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I just got new eye glasses and was wondering if there's a place to send my old glasses to and have the light scratches polished, and have the AR coating removed and recoated?

They're not too bad prescription-wise, the damn blotchy AR coating is the worst part.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Go by a body shop. Get some of that wonder paste they have.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I tried that once on one that was about a month old and had a small scratch right where my eye looked thru and found it was more expensive than a new pair.
Basically they told me that I wouldn't be satisfied with the result.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by tpcollins
was wondering if there's a place to send my old glasses to and have the light scratches polished, and have the AR coating removed and recoated?

No.

Any office worth it's salt will give you minimum 1yr warrantee on AR scratching/flaking/crazing. An office using the best products will give you a 2yr unlimited, no questions asked warrantee on AR.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A
F’nk World is Melting Down all around you and you kant see it ..
Ha Ha ha .. Scratches..

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by akrange
Ha Ha ha .. Scratches..

Pull your head out of your ass there fellow Michigander.

I just got NEW glasses and would like to salvage my old glasses.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All kidding aside, try polishing them with toothpaste

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I got the coating on my last new prescription at Sam's Club. After about 1 1/2 month the coating started to come off. I DID NOT clean them with anything other than Zeiss liquid lens cleaner and a soft cloth. The people at Sam's Club agreed that would not harm the coating. They replaced the lenses. About another 2 months or so, same situation. They said not their problem. Went to TSO (Texas State Optical) and ordered new frame and lenses as they claimed they could not fit their lenses into my frames that I did not buy from them (?). Explained my problem to TSO and was assured there would be no problem with their lenses with the same anti-glare coating. About 4-6 weeks later, you guessed it, same problem with the coating coming off. TSO agreed there was nothing wrong with how I claimed I was cleaning them. TSO replaced the lenses. I contacted my eye doctor in the mean time and asked if they had any suggestions and they had none. Again, you guessed it, problems with the coating on these lenses flaking off. TSO refused to replace them. After discussions TSO finally agreed to replace the lenses with no coating and no warranty, which was fine by me. This was about a year ago and no scratches whatsoever and no change in my cleaning methods. By the way, sometime during this adventure I also changed brands of cleaner with no different results. Don't know if this makes a difference or not, but these all were polycarbonate lenses.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Henryseale
I got the coating on my last new prescription at Sam's Club. After about 1 1/2 month the coating started to come off. I DID NOT clean them with anything other than Zeiss liquid lens cleaner and a soft cloth. The people at Sam's Club agreed that would not harm the coating. They replaced the lenses. About another 2 months or so, same situation. They said not their problem. Went to TSO (Texas State Optical) and ordered new frame and lenses as they claimed they could not fit their lenses into my frames that I did not buy from them (?). Explained my problem to TSO and was assured there would be no problem with their lenses with the same anti-glare coating. About 4-6 weeks later, you guessed it, same problem with the coating coming off. TSO agreed there was nothing wrong with how I claimed I was cleaning them. TSO replaced the lenses. I contacted my eye doctor in the mean time and asked if they had any suggestions and they had none. Again, you guessed it, problems with the coating on these lenses flaking off. TSO refused to replace them. After discussions TSO finally agreed to replace the lenses with no coating and no warranty, which was fine by me. This was about a year ago and no scratches whatsoever and no change in my cleaning methods. By the way, sometime during this adventure I also changed brands of cleaner with no different results. Don't know if this makes a difference or not, but these all were polycarbonate lenses.

Why didn't you purchase glasses/lenses from your eye Dr, does that office not have an optical shop?

All AR is NOT created equal. There are essentially 2 types. Spin coat, the process being the lens is spun under a stream of liquid, then moved out of the stream while continuing to spin in order to spread out the solution. Then the AR is cured onto the lens w/UV and a short burst of heat. This type of AR isn't very durable. It's likely to be the type that scratches easier and comes off in flakes when/if it becomes damaged. A spin-coat AR will have something between no warrantee up to a 1yr warrantee. The 2nd type of AR is done in a Vacuum chamber. Vacuum chamber AR coatings can be very durable, some of them are even demonstrably harder to scratch than glass. A Vacuum chamber AR will typically have a 1-2yr warrantee. Some of the better Vac chamber AR treatments have an unlimited, no questions asked 2yr warrantee.

The best of the best AR treatments, the manufacturer will change the formulation for each type of lens material so that the index of refraction of the lens material and AR are the same, ensuring that there's no light-scatter between the AR and lens material, in short, the lens/AR combo are "clearer" and sharper.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by tpcollins
Originally Posted by akrange
Ha Ha ha .. Scratches..

Pull your head out of your ass there fellow Michigander.

I just got NEW glasses and would like to salvage my old glasses.

My lenses are the cheapest part of my glasses. I have had new lenses placed into old frames (as a second pair) almost every time I buy new glasses..

Possibly less expensive, or close to cost of repairing the lens

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.