Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by Higginez

Hendrix was a genius ala John Coltrane.

This is the most gross misstatement seen so far on the Campfire. Utter nonsense.

Remember when you wrote, that you had stable of talented students pass through your gates, that were better guitar players, than Prince. .. and couldn't provide a single example.
D

You are full of it - making stuff up - and never asked for such an example - and they are rife. Prince was mediocre at best - relied on his appearance and gimmicks to carry his act - and demonstrated his lacking guitar technique and inventiveness every time he picked at it. Go back and look - I cited the video with Lenny Kravitz as in your face evidence of Price's dearth of chops.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s ok if CCCC doesn’t get it. Too many years in college trying to make music into a math equation when you play the Flugelhorn will do that to ya! Hold into the treble clef!

You can do the evasive "ha", nope" and "lmfao" all you wish (kinda like Kamala cackling), and like most who get caught without evidence, you resort to snide ad hominem attacks - but your hole gets deeper.

Why not provide us with some musical theory analytical evidence of the evolution of Coltrane's improvisational journey and growth - why not provide some of your analysis of his uses of germ motive and thematic invention over a given harmonic structure, or cite the practice materials he used to develop his fingering technique and articulation?

Then, do the same using your knowledge of Hendrix. Do you have such skill and knowledge - because folks who study such performers do.

My original comment on your post is based on such comparisons. What you posted above causes you to come across as a phony dilettante who has definite preferences and opinions (which is just fine) but no substance to support them. Does the above sound like a flugelhorn?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Roy Buchanan

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Among my personal favorites, Joe Walsh rises toward the top of the list.

I also can’t believe Slash from Guns and Roses nor Ricky Medlocke from Lynyrd Skynyrd and Blackfoot has been mentioned.

Last edited by gregintenn; 03/15/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gunzo
I don't think I could put him in with the really big dogs, or maybe.

But not often mentioned in these conversations in Steve Lukather(Toto). Right there with Eddie VH on the Mike Jackson tracts but not getting the attention. Damn good. Longest running member with Ringo's Al Star Band.

George Harrison... I'm just a listener, not a player. So I don't know, even though I do hear miss licks & pregnant pauses from time to time. But some top player list have GH way up there. Not that he did anything all that fancy, but played perfectly whenever he played. Making him great? Or just playing it safe?

Eddie VanHalen once said he wished he could take lessons from Steve Lukather..
Lukather has played on over 1500 albums as a Studio guy.. Journeyman for sure.

Last edited by sparkman10mm; 03/15/22.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt

This is the most gross misstatement seen so far on the Campfire. Utter nonsense.

No. He's on it. Hendrix was a pioneer and an experimenter, much like Coltrane. Go look at the interview I posted with Billy Cox a couple weeks ago.

I would agree that Hendrix was a pioneer and experimenter - but not in the sense of melodic, rhythmic and harmonic invention that enables one to break new ground in a musical sense. His was primarily with electronic gimmicks that enabled him to produce "new and different' effects not used and combined as extensively by other guitar players - over driven amplifiers, wah-wah, feedback, fuzz distortion, univibe, etc.. Intellectual development in actual musical knowledge and proficiency is an entirely different realm - thus my OP.

I would not challenge others views of Hendrix as an experimenter and big figure in his type of rock. I do not put great stock in the analysis by Billy Cox - a reasonably successful bass player - in that he has traded on the name and reputation of Hendrix and ridden his insider "knowledge" for gain since the 1980s or before. Hendrix seems very important to him in that regard.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s ok if CCCC doesn’t get it. Too many years in college trying to make music into a math equation when you play the Flugelhorn will do that to ya! Hold into the treble clef!

You can do the evasive "ha", nope" and "lmfao" all you wish (kinda like Kamala cackling), and like most who get caught without evidence, you resort to snide ad hominem attacks - but your hole gets deeper.

Why not provide us with some musical theory analytical evidence of the evolution of Coltrane's improvisational journey and growth - why not provide some of your analysis of his uses of germ motive and thematic invention over a given harmonic structure, or cite the practice materials he used to develop his fingering technique and articulation?

Then, do the same using your knowledge of Hendrix. Do you have such skill and knowledge - because folks who study such performers do.

My original comment on your post is based on such comparisons. What you posted above causes you to come across as a phony dilettante who has definite preferences and opinions (which is just fine) but no substance to support them. Does the above sound like a flugelhorn?

The beauty of music is that you don't have to know anything about it to make it, which has a tendency to piss off a classically trained theory snob such as yourself.

My understanding of music theory has nothing to do with my statement and you know it, yet here you are using big university words and comparing me to Kamala Harris. WTF?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hig & Kamala..... yeah I see the resemblance.... lol

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Samantha Fish?

WTF?

I get it that white guys like the Gucci blues (Joe Bonermassage) but Samantha Fish?

SRV was a coked out Texan that took all the cool schidt Hendrix did and blended it with Albert King and threw in some of his own cool stuff and you can’t help but notice what an absolute terror he was on an old beat to schidt partscaster.

Samantha Fish?

Down boys.

She learned the Blues from the Mississippi hill country legends.

The blues came from two sources: Mississippi Delta and Mississippi Hill Country.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

The beauty of music is that you don't have to know anything about it to make it, which has a tendency to piss off a classically trained theory snob such as yourself.

My understanding of music theory has nothing to do with my statement and you know it, yet here you are using big university words and comparing me to Kamala Harris. WTF?

Since when is creativity defined to bars on a sheet of paper? Is that like crayon books and paint by number?

Wonder how Leonardo, Vermeer, Rembrandt, Matisse, Renoir, Boticelli would ponder of that.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Since when is creativity defined to bars on a sheet of paper? Is that like crayon books and paint by number?
Wonder how Leonardo, Vermeer, Rembrandt, Matisse, Renoir, Boticelli would ponder of that.

Read it again - my post said nothing about a sheet of paper - musical creativity begins in the mind and is made manifest to others ears in performance and also in written form, for those who know how to read. The more highly developed the musical skills, knowledge and understanding, and refinement of one's ear, the more one is able to discern and discriminate among types of music artists.

You are correct - many others, including me, have been able to make music without knowing much of anything about it. But even with such naive enjoyment, some choose to study, and practice and dig deeper into the art. I know someone who got started as a stupid kid picking at a keyboard and pursued such development for more than 70 years. Your post seems to paint such striving and development as some sort of detriment.

You know absolutely nothing about my musical training, performance and preferences - which have extended to all forms of the art - but you are so ignorant and defensive as to call one a "classically trained theory snob " and pretend that I am pissed. Rarely if ever do I become pissed - but at times I am tempted to expose a defensive pretender..

You are compared with Kamala because your little snide reactions and inanities here smack of the same stuff as her ridiculous cackle when confronted with something beyond her ken. Do you still feel like pretending to understand something you do not?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you have read my posts, you know full well that i do not believe that creativity is defined by the factors you list here. You don't get to pretend that a person said something and then try to build a case on a false premise. The acquisition of skills, knowledge and understanding does not bind a true learner - those things liberate one to better understand and appreciate even the most simple origins of creative endeavor.. Why not give it a try.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mark Knofler

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Read it again - my post said nothing about a sheet of paper - musical creativity begins in the mind and is made manifest to others ears in performance and also in written form, for those who know how to read. The more highly developed the musical skills, knowledge and understanding, and refinement of one's ear, the more one is able to discern and discriminate among types of music artists.

You are correct - many others, including me, have been able to make music without knowing much of anything about it. But even with such naive enjoyment, some choose to study, and practice and dig deeper into the art. I know someone who got started as a stupid kid picking at a keyboard and pursued such development for more than 70 years. Your post seems to paint such striving and development as some sort of detriment.

You know absolutely nothing about my musical training, performance and preferences - which have extended to all forms of the art - but you are so ignorant and defensive as to call one a "classically trained theory snob " and pretend that I am pissed. Rarely if ever do I become pissed - but at times I am tempted to expose a defensive pretender..

You are compared with Kamala because your little snide reactions and inanities here smack of the same stuff as her ridiculous cackle when confronted with something beyond her ken. Do you still feel like pretending to understand something you do not?

Didn't attack you, dude. But, since you decided to be a total ignorant dick..

You sure used a lot of words to prove your ignorant, pompous fugkery.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Prince could bend a string.

I didn't see Chuck Berry on the list .

Not a rock guitarist, but Brad Paisley could hold his own with any of them.

SRV without a doubt!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
Samantha Fish?

WTF?

I get it that white guys like the Gucci blues (Joe Bonermassage) but Samantha Fish?

SRV was a coked out Texan that took all the cool schidt Hendrix did and blended it with Albert King and threw in some of his own cool stuff and you can’t help but notice what an absolute terror he was on an old beat to schidt partscaster.

Samantha Fish?

Down boys.

She learned the Blues from the Mississippi hill country legends.

The blues came from two sources: Mississippi Delta and Mississippi Hill Country.

So she wasn't at the crossroads? LOL

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Didn't attack you, dude. But, since you decided to be a total ignorant dick.. You sure used a lot of words to prove your ignorant, pompous fugkery.
There you go again with the name-calling and ad hominem attacks - middle school stuff.. Some days I like to write a bunch - good exercise for the brain and vocabulary - stay active, you know?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Didn't attack you, dude. But, since you decided to be a total ignorant dick.. You sure used a lot of words to prove your ignorant, pompous fugkery.
There you go again with the name-calling and ad hominem attacks - middle school stuff.. Some days I like to write a bunch - good exercise for the brain and vocabulary - stay active, you know?

Stop editing my posts, Richard.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...This is the most gross misstatement seen so far on the Campfire...

Hyperbole?

What an incredibly high bar!

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,443 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,099
Posts18,483,079
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.