Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I put together a little Remington 700 243 a while back, former JLock ADL, I added a Bansner stock from a campfire member, Tubbs speed lock kit, Shilen trigger. Figured it for a good Coyote rifle around the farm, as I'm over loaded with em.

Things ugly as sin: former owner had tried to paint the rifle "sniper" tan, then the camo Banser, add the silver aluminum shroud from Tubbs.. no beauty queen.

I added a 3-10 Leupy CDS.

Rifle shoots lights out at 100 yards. I mean, under an inch with every load I tried with with 3 different bullets that I had. Settled on a load: 36 grains of Varget under an 87 grain VMax, CCI primers. Its under a half inch with three shots, over and over again, no matter the weather, moon phase, time of day, etc. Occasionally it'll slip 3 rounds into one ragged hole. Most consistent, easy to shoot rifle I've ever shot, and I'm not that good of a shot.

So I run it over a chronograph today, 9 rounds, picked from 3 different boxes of ammo that I've loaded, just to try to get a good average so I can order my CDS dial from Leopold.

I was thinking 3000 maybe 3100 foot a second, based on barrel length and Hodgdon's published data.

2,884 average. What a let down. Granted the ES was 7. SD was 2.

I thought maybe the chronograph was lying so I ran a few rounds of Remington subsonic across the screen out of my Savage 24. 1037 fps.

Chronos right on the money.

I dont know, just seems slow.

Prolly bounce off a deer.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Chronographs burst a lot of bubbles.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
As long as the bullets hit where I'm aiming, the velocity is really a secondary concern to me. I bought my chrono just to satisfy my curiosity more than anything.

I've had quite a few loads come up very, very short of what published load data would lead you to believe, but never any faster than book speed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The problem is Varget. It's usually one of best for accuracy, but it's also slower than molasses velocity wise. I can push a 85 grain Sierra BTHP at a chrongraphed 3350 fps with a good stiff load of W760. It'll flat put the hurt on anything it hits too. But, your load should kill coyotes just fine. If it's accurate, and suits you, I wouldn't worry too much.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, it’s the Vargay. Bought it when it first came out, made in Scotland and it was great. Bought an 8 lb jug later from ADI and I couldn’t get enough of it in any case I tried to get pressure, you could hear the kernels crunching. 200 fps slower than book with 2-3 grains over max. This last 8 was only about 125 fps slower. It is consistently very low ES and SD though.

Swifty
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The first time I ran some 243 reloads over a chrono it was disappointing, accurate but slower than I expected too.
Seems like most load data is compiled using 26” barrels.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I ordered the dial. I'm not gonna try to fix whats not broken, the rifle shoots great. Like James said, that extra 100-150 fps ain't gonna kill no deader.

Still kinda surprised. Gonna start running all my loads over the old polygraph machine.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by J23
I ordered the dial. I'm not gonna try to fix whats not broken, the rifle shoots great. Like James said, that extra 100-150 fps ain't gonna kill no deader.

Still kinda surprised. Gonna start running all my loads over the old polygraph machine.

Better watch out. Leupold may laser engrave 6x45 on the dial. ha ha...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I always called mine the lie detector. Use it on guys who claim their velocity is whatever. Most don’t appreciate it.LOL Edk

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Many moons ago, I reloaded some 7X57 ammo using a load that Jim Carmichael had given as his favorite load in that cartridge. It was a couple of grains over the max in all of the reloading manuals I had, but I was young and dumb, and I tried it. The load was accurate in my Model 70, and showed no signs whatsoever of pressure. Later on when I got a chronograph I checked it, expecting it to show the 2900 fps that Carmichael claimed. I was shooting it out of a 22 inch barrel, and it didn't even break 2700, averaging around 2675 if I remember correctly. I wanted to write Outdoor Life and ask Jim if he was using a 40 inch barrel when he chronographed it.

IC B3

J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by ERK
I always called mine the lie detector. Use it on guys who claim their velocity is whatever. Most don’t appreciate it.LOL Edk

Heck, its my rifle, my load, and my chronograph, and I don't appreciate it!!

Ted Nugent

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by J23
Originally Posted by ERK

Heck, its my rifle, my load, and my chronograph, and I don't appreciate it!!

And you wonder why guys shoot the damn things...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Yep, it’s the Vargay. Bought it when it first came out, made in Scotland and it was great. Bought an 8 lb jug later from ADI and I couldn’t get enough of it in any case I tried to get pressure, you could hear the kernels crunching. 200 fps slower than book with 2-3 grains over max. This last 8 was only about 125 fps slower. It is consistently very low ES and SD though.

Are you quite sure about that? I don't recall my early stuff being from Scotland.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have you tried any other powders in that rifle?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
243 for me...

1. 4064
2. IMR 4895
3. RL 15....

yeah you can get a little faster velocity elsewhere but not really that much faster..

but the three powders above, will ALWAYS give an accurate load, regardless of bullet weight in ANY 243 I have shot and owned...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Accuracy trumps velocity in my book. I've never found a gun to shoot its best with a max load.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Never heard anybody brag about how fast they missed something. Accuracy first.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by devnull
Accuracy trumps velocity in my book. I've never found a gun to shoot its best with a max load.

I had a RAR in 300 Blackout that liked loads max hot, pretty much regardless of the bullet and powder choice, but it was definitely the exception to the rule in my experience too.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This Window Licking Drooling Fhuqktardation,is never not fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint.

Rifles ALWAYS perform best,when operating towards their capabilities. Nary a BR Record has been shot with spitballs,if only to the chagrin of Crying Karens the World over. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint.

1000 words. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

In comparison to a 243Win,with a 105 Hornie HPBT. Hint.

The only thing fhuqking funnier than swooning same,is to muse a Reupold CDS. That only because said scope can't/won't track,retain zero or repeat and paying extry to not do so,really knocks 'er out of the fhuqking Park! Hint.

It's ONLY fhuqking funny,because you are doing your fhuqking BEST. Hint.

OP's said rifle is THE Dumbfhuqkometer and it's pegged. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
J23 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Well Stick, I am shooting my best with that rifle. We all can't be as good of a shot as you.

Kind of like you f**ked your best, but it just wasn't good enough, and thats why your wife probably left you for another man.

Hint.

You peg that same "Dumbfhuqkometer" each and every time you post your incoherent babble.

Fugging midgets, always angry.

Last edited by J23; 03/17/22.

Ted Nugent

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (19rabbit52, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 77 invisible), 3,161 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,627
Posts18,533,169
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.